AT PRO -Pro Mode -ANyone answer this?

Rob479

----------
Okay, I keep hearing about "pro mode" on the AT Pro.

1. What is pro mode?
2. How is it different from a detector without pro mode?

3) How is Pro Mode achieved, as in what's the technology that makes it "Pro?"

So, can anyone with an AT Pro machine explain any of this to me? I am wondering what it is that supposedly sets a "pro" mode apart from any other detector mode?

That tells me nothing Chicago. I want specific rerasons why it is different. I did some research and came across this:

Notice the differences in binary audio versus proportional audio in the two target scenarios above. The detector with binary audio gives a solid, consistent beep for both the shallow and the deep coin. In contrast, the AT Pro’s proportional audio provides a stronger signal for the shallow coin and a softer signal for the deeper coin.

Isn't that how all detectors work? The closer an item the stronger the signal?

The actual profile, or signature, of the target’s response is heard, thereby providing more information. - Aren't all target responses heard? Regardless of the detector?

Standard and Pro Audio Modes
In Standard binary audio mode, the AT Pro provides a full-strength beep regardless of a target’s amplitude. Many detectorists prefer this consistent binary (either on or off ) target response.

For those who want to hear more target information—similar to what is experienced with a True All-Metal detector—the AT Pro also offers a proportional (Pro) audio mode.

In other words, I am trying to figure out why someone would pay the extra money for a "pro mode" setting when basically all that is is an all metal mode...

So in other words, it just assigns different audio tones to the targets?

I can undersdtand that, but I guess if it's a dig everything world, then I am still confused as to what why I would want to pay for the extra sounds.

Is it so one can discriminate targets by audio instead of using a discriminate setting?

The difference between Std(standard) and Pro(professional) mode is also a learning tool. In Std mode the AT acts a lot like the ACE 250 which is the undisputed king of entry level detectors. The problem with the entry level detector is that, while they make great learning machines, once you advance beyond the ACE 250's ability you need/want more. The AT's Pro mode offers that more.

Last edited:
It also depends on how good your hearing is.......some small nuggets come in as "whispers"......I hate headphones, but for nuggets, ya gotta wear them...

Dusty

The pro mode will give you audio tones that are related to the object. In standard mode an object will produce the same length of a tone despite the size of the object and depth of the object. In pro mode you will get more information on the depth of the object, the size of the object and in some cases be able to determine if there are two or more objects laying next to each other. Ive experienced this while practicing in pro mode once i found an object in standard mode. I think its a good way to practice in order to advance to just pro mode. Locate an object in standard mode first, then switch it to pro mode and predict the objects that might be underground. Ive heard 2 audio signals from the same area within 3 to 4 inches of each other and unburried 2 pennies in 1 hole. In standard mode, most of the time you will only get one audio signal, so you would assume that there is only one target under the ground. I am a beginner so I'm sure more advanced detectorists can use these pro signals for other predictions then I use them for, but this is one difference between the standard mode and pro mode that I have found. I hope this helps you.

The Pro mode is awesome. That is all I use. I find that in the Pro mode trashy signals "chirp" and are never really solid. When it is a coin or ring the signal is real solid most of the time. It also gives you the depth of the target in the tone. More quiet, solid tones mean the target is deeper and the louder, solid tones are shallow. It really is an awesome mode and the DD coil that is on it makes it that much better. I have done so well with this machine it is unbelievable. If your thinking about buying it, then do buy it!

From what I can gather with "Pro Mode" what it does in essence is opens up the iron discrimination circuit to an extent and works with a different filter setting. This allows some of the iron signal to pass through the filter along with the nonferrous targets. So in essence you are allowing for some iron to show through which in turn allows you to hear both targets at once. Most machines that are set to discrim out iron will do so, flat out. This in turn will begin to mask targets that are nonferrous that are in relative close distance to the iron target. In a lot of cases the discrim'd iron will also null out the nonferrous target to do both masking and what I call "blending" of signals. The iron will drag down the nonferrous conductivity and blend them to a lower conductive range and can in turn completely discrim out the good target. Same goes for 2 nonferrous targets, they can also blend and one target can mask the other. Almost all machines can still signal off on both targets with significant practice with your machine, knowing proper swing speed as well as sweep direction over targets can greatly increase your finds. Take it slow and from various angles and you can simulate this new feature with almost any detector as long as you run your discrim on zero and as long as your machine doesn't have built in iron discrim like a lot do. My Musketeer even on zero discrim will still knock out small iron as do the Sovereigns and many others.

Thanks for sharing your input guys appreciate ya. I still don't see the point if you have to dig it all anyway.

I might be wrong but i think that is the point they are making. you dont have to dig it all, like in a trashy area.

And that goes against everything everyone preaches, in order to miss nothing , dig everything. No detector is correct all the time.

I was just curious what the technology was that set that apart from my F2 that has decent target separation. Best I can tell, it's just that the trash is assigned a differnt tone setting which I couldn't justify the extra cash just for that given the knowledge that no detector is correct all the time anyway, and you would still be discriminating targets even though it's just by the sound. Will it make you dig less trash? They say it will, but once again, knowing no detector is fool proof, even in "pro mode" you would have to believe that you are missing targets because you chose to discriminate them based on a tone the detector made.

I keep my AT pro set at pro, zero and listen to everything. This weekend I found 6 wheats in a pounded park in a trashy area. My 250 would never do that

And that goes against everything everyone preaches, in order to miss nothing , dig everything. No detector is correct all the time.

I was just curious what the technology was that set that apart from my F2 that has decent target separation. Best I can tell, it's just that the trash is assigned a differnt tone setting which I couldn't justify the extra cash just for that given the knowledge that no detector is correct all the time anyway, and you would still be discriminating targets even though it's just by the sound. Will it make you dig less trash? They say it will, but once again, knowing no detector is fool proof, even in "pro mode" you would have to believe that you are missing targets because you chose to discriminate them based on a tone the detector made.

I found nails in my plugs with my penies and could here the iron tone and penny tone together

I found nails in my plugs with my penies and could here the iron tone and penny tone together

Yeah, I dug a zinc token yesterday, machine identified the Zinc, which is why I dug it, and there was a nail in the hole as well as some other scap metal. My machine hit on and stayed on just the zinc token.:)

Well, yes, everyone *does* preach "dig it all". But in reality, NO one digs it all, all the time. In your own yard? Sure, dig it all. In a field, or at a site without much trash? Yep, dig it all. Totlot hunting? DEFINATELY dig it all.

But you just got the okay from the owner of a colonial house/CW hospital on a corner downtown. SWEET! You don't know how often the guy is going to want you detecting there, and you have a short time to swing over his great big yard today. The ground is abuzz with iron targets galore. Do you dig it all? Digging it all would mean making a mess of his yard if the targets are so close together that it'd just be one big hole. Furthemore, you'd be wasting your time digging a bunch of iron junk when, with a little discrimination, you could have covered more yard. That could equal a big silver coin you're going to miss so you can gather a pouch full of square nails. And the owner won't necissarily let you back, so this could be all you get. Still wanna dig it all?

THAT's where one detector's features over another (and experience using them) can really make the difference. If your detector lets you easily skip the junk targets while still finding good targets in close proximity to the junk, you'll win the day, every day. Of couse with lots of time at the site, you'll want to dig more and more. But discrimination is a tool, one which has a time and a place to use. Dig it all when practicable, but let the tools help you when you need them.

My 2 cents anyways

Hello, I haven't had my AT Pro long and only today advanced to using the Pro mode. In the pro mode everything written above is true. The Pro mode also increases depth. Why? I don't know but it definitely does. The standard mode is like an easy mode. I had been sticking to the standard mode since upgrading from the Ace 250. At first I found the Pro mode a bit frustrating but after today I plan on sticking with it. I don't think it's so much of an advanced feature as it is what makes the detector as good as it is. It's the mode you would use to do some serious hunting and puts it on the playing field with the higher end detectors. In my opinion the standard mode is the added feature. It's for beginners or for more relaxed and easy hunting. Perhaps the should have made Pro mode the Standard mode and called standard mode the easy mode. Also keep in mind it has very good ground balance features and 4 frequencies. The pinpoint feature is very helpful too.

Nothing wrong with the F2 at all.

Personally, I really enjoy trying new technology. Over my 30+ years of detecting I have seen some major advances in detector technology let me tell you. From my first BFO(beat frequency Oscillator) through the TR(transmit receive) then the first VLF's(very low frequency) and when discrimination first showed up to the high tech of today. Heck, I see advancements almost every year. Some small others huge.

I understand those that prefer the good old tried and true detectors of the past, but having personally experience what even the smallest advancement can gain in finds, not to mention I just love testing different detectors, I pay close attention to the signs of new technology. I've hunted our city park to death for 20+ years and yet even a small bit of new technology can breath new life into the old beat site. I find that alone to be very exciting.

Back
Top Bottom