Demo / Tear Down Lots

Greatone76

How do you guys go about finding demo / tear down lots to detect? Is there a place you search online with a specific phrase, do you contract builders, watch demo public notices? I am in the Chicagoland area if anyone in the area has specific references of places to look or be registered at in the local area.

Just as a note I am not just interested from places to detect, but I am a structural engineer and would love to have the information to sell pre-construction observation services to neighboring properties as many times I find myself on the back side of the situation where people feel the neighbor cause issues with their house during construction, but without an assessment just prior to the construction it is very difficult to convince anyone that they caused the damage. So I would love to provide the recommendation on the front end for an observation and record of the situation prior to construction.

I'm in IL and a few years ago I called all the different counties around me and talked to the tax assessor's offices. Usually each county had a list of houses that were set to be torn down and most didnt care if I detected them. Out of all of them there were only a small handful that were much good. I guess around here if it looks falling down or abandoned people just hit it without caring about permission (or other people already got that list too).

I bet East Saint Louis has a bunch of locations to detect. :)

I've always just been lucky and seen them or noticed a freshly done yard. But the info above is great and I'll have to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom