Mxt Help needed

perrym775

Forum Supporter
Hi I have been hunting for a few weeks with my MXT but continue to have lots of problems deciding what targets to dig. Most of the items in the pictures show as a penny/ dime or zinc penny. All I know now is to dig. help

Attachments

• 100_1768.jpg
    100_1768.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_1769.jpg
    100_1769.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 372
The normal progression is that you'll start realizing the difference in the sounds. Length, boink or softer noises... then dig and see what it is. I don't know the MXT so can't say what it read out might be. I call the sounds "sharp edged or soft edges".. maybe the tone differences too.. it'll all come to you. Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep trying to figure out what it is before you look. Good luck.

try

Try this . Hunt in relic mode with dip switch in the forward position. This will give you 2 tones to listen for. Iron will be nulled out. Run sensitivity as high as you can with out becoming unstable. Disc. around 1. You can't always trust the Vdi's, but these #'s will help. Look for Vdi's:

Vdi's -6,10,14 gold
-18,20 - nickles
-65 zinc pennies, indian heads
-70 wheats, dig
-79 copper pennies, dimes
-80,86 - silver, quarters
-90 halfs

Most of the time this is how I run my machine. It has worked well for me. If your in tot lots turn the sens. down. If your running the machine with a 12'' coil, you may want to consider a 6x10 dd coil. This will help you tremendously in parks, playgrounds, and trashy areas.Hope this helps.

This might help....

I hunt with the MXT, and when I first started using it I had a hard time getting used to it. I found this thread here at FMDF, and I now have it as my home page for the forum! There is a lot of good information and some really good links to additional information. Reading through all of this has helped me! Here is a link:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=23861

Good Luck & HH, Dave.........

Five Steps for the MXT

1. Buy the book "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster.
2. Read the book.
3. Make yourself a coin garden.
4. If you don't already have one, invest in a DD coil (Everybody and their dog has gone over the ground with a concentric coil)
5. You'll start to find the good stuff after about 100 hours of MD operation in the field. That's when you'll train your ears and brain to what and when to dig.

Here is a comparison chart of coils for the MXT I put together a while ago:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30357

-Mark

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info. I will give this a try tomorrow.

Try this . Hunt in relic mode with dip switch in the forward position. This will give you 2 tones to listen for. Iron will be nulled out. Run sensitivity as high as you can with out becoming unstable. Disc. around 1. You can't always trust the Vdi's, but these #'s will help. Look for Vdi's:

Vdi's -6,10,14 gold
-18,20 - nickles
-65 zinc pennies, indian heads
-70 wheats, dig
-79 copper pennies, dimes
-80,86 - silver, quarters
-90 halfs

Most of the time this is how I run my machine. It has worked well for me. If your in tot lots turn the sens. down. If your running the machine with a 12'' coil, you may want to consider a 6x10 dd coil. This will help you tremendously in parks, playgrounds, and trashy areas.Hope this helps.

Get a 6x10. I've been using mine and don't ever want to put back on the dreaded 9.5" coil ever again. The separation and depth are great! It took me about a year of digging everything from -4 and UP to 94+ targets to really learn my MXT. I'm finally getting the 'swing' of things. :)

It took me some hours of use to master or at least begin to master my MXT. If you keep hunting it'll come to you. I am another fan of the 6X10 coil and use it 90% of the time. The 5.3 is quite good as well and the 4X6 really shines in the heavy trash areas, but you have to slow down. IMHO with all detectors the larger coils are a more of a handicap unless hunting in very clean areas where you need to cover a lot of area as they attempt to read too many targets at a time if the area is trashy.
BB

It took me some hours of use to master or at least begin to master my MXT. If you keep hunting it'll come to you. I am another fan of the 6X10 coil and use it 90% of the time. The 5.3 is quite good as well and the 4X6 really shines in the heavy trash areas, but you have to slow down. IMHO with all detectors the larger coils are a more of a handicap unless hunting in very clean areas where you need to cover a lot of area as they attempt to read too many targets at a time if the area is trashy.
BB

What he said ^^ I switched to the 6x10 DD coil and haven't gone back. I haven't been to many places since that were clear enough for me to want to switch back.

Howdy

Howdy,

I'm new to my MXT also.
I got mine last year.

I tend to hunt old campgrounds and old homesteads.
There also seems to be alot of trash where I choose to hunt.

I did get the book, " THE EDGE" by Foster, and I did get the 6x10 coil.

I use "freds " setup,,,, Relic Alternate mode, (Alt mode is Trigger forward)
I set threshold to barely audible and a bit louder maybe,
Gain +1, and Disc at 1 or 2 .

I usually start an area, by digging everything, but if I feel like I want to quit because Im getting bored /tired of digging trash, then I'll set my Discrimination higher, and go cherry picking for coins.

My best find to date , was after I had decided to quit for the day.
My father in law had grabbed our BH 505, and was heading out, so I figured what the heck, I might as well hunt a little more.
But , I thought , I'm going to cruise around and cherry pick, because I'm just not into it.
And BAM ! a 1901 Barber Dime.

So, basically, I try to hunt hard , and practice what Ive learned about my MXT, but when it gets to be too much, I just "play" with the MXT.

You really should get the book, as it will show you exactly what the MXT is capable of.
I had no idea that it was such an awesome machine.
I'm still learning , and I bet I will be for a long time to come.

Good luck to ya,

Dusty

watch your confidence blocks once you've located something if it stays true to a full block and the vdi doesnt waver the mxt more times than not is sure of the find c/j mode.also when pin pointing in doing your cross patern if the signal runs true in both directions you'll get to were you know if its a coin.of course these are just tips and rule of thumb is JUST DIG IT.good hunting

Back
Top Bottom