Coin roll hunting - 2nd try

Treasurekidd

Elite Member
Well, I returned my first batch of pennies today, and hit another bank on the way home and grabbed $20 more, and had even better results than the first batch! Total of 17 wheat pennies, plus 2 old Candians. I might try nickels next time, and hope for some silver war nickels or Buffalos!

1920P -1
1934P -1
1940P -1
1941P -1
1942P -1
1944P -3
1944D -1
1945P -1
1951D -1
1952D -1
1953D -1
1955D -1 (not a double die, lol!)
1956D -1
1957P -1
1958D -1

Also got 1 each of a 1949 and 1953 Canadian penny. I'd better watch out, this might get to be as addicting as detecting, lol!

Attachments

• Coin Roll Hunting 8-15-06 1.JPG
    Coin Roll Hunting 8-15-06 1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Coin Roll Hunting 8-15-06 2.JPG
    Coin Roll Hunting 8-15-06 2.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 478
I did this very thing to start my collection of pennies and nickles.

Your best bet is to go out and hit a different bank every day for a week and then start over with the same banks the next week. That way they don't wonder why you are getting and then returning rolls of nickles and pennies. :grin:

My boss once did that with half dollars. He said he ended up with 4 or 5 silvers out of the bunch, but I don't remember how much he got to begin with.

An example of "accidental" roll hunting.

I worked as a sales clerk at a local retail store. I had to open a new roll of dimes for my till. As I poured the roll of dimes into their proper home, I heard a different "sound" they normally make. Looking more closely showed that more than half of the role was silver!!!!!

Needless to say, I bought that role that day :lol:

treasurekid, when you say, "I hit another bank today" I'm getting an image of you with a ski mask and a gym bag. If you repeat this routine enough times, and the tellers get use to you, you might just pull it off. I did the same thing today for $50 of halves and $20 of pennies. I'll post the results tomorrow.

treasurekid, when you say, "I hit another bank today" I'm getting an image of you with a ski mask and a gym bag.

Scavenger, you killed me with that one, lol! I've only gone for penny rolls twice, and I try to hit different banks, so the tellers don't get tired of handing out tons of coin rolls. After I check them, I dump them at the local coinstar and get my cash back. I'm going to "hit" a new bank Sat morning for $20 more in pennies and probably $40 in nickels. I want to try the nickels and see if I find any war nickels or Buffalos.

Back
Top Bottom