vacation time. Suggestions for beach?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So we're going to Wrightsville Beach again this year, but we want to do it a bit differently.

We're looking to stay a few days about 4 hours or so south of there, then head up to Wrightsville Beach for a week.

Any suggestions as to where to stay the first leg of our trip? We want to be on the beach (or REALLY close to it). I was thinking Myrtle Beach SC, but when I was there a few years ago, it was a "not nice" area.

Oak island is very laidback and much more local/suburban than the more touristy, commercialized beaches. We just did a day trip to Carolina beach this weekend. It’s right next to Wrightsville Beach. We were visiting my mother in law who lives about two hours west of there so we went Saturday for about four hours. It was packed! Lots of people and lots of traffic. However, I took the nox and hit the fluffy sand behind the line of rental beach chairs and umbrellas. I hit three rings, two were junk, but one was a 925 + 10k. I also got $2.70 in clad. In comparison we stayed a week on oak island two or three years ago and the entire time I was there I only got a very small 925 wire ring and less clad than what I got in 3 and half hours at Carolina beach!

Attachments

• C98A0E49-E5E8-4184-A6AA-C59BA7DC55A1.jpeg
    C98A0E49-E5E8-4184-A6AA-C59BA7DC55A1.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 6A64D173-B1D0-49ED-843D-708A715CEC8F.jpg
    6A64D173-B1D0-49ED-843D-708A715CEC8F.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 299
When

I stayed in MYRTLE BEACH bike week , always Ocean front , I used Garden City reality for places , might cost you big bucks , a week 2500-3k , now Florida Melbourne beach , hunt the treasure coast wreck sites , i have a good spot on the ocean under 1k for a week ! Top secret however :lol:

I second Pawley's Island. My brother-in-law and his family live there. Awesome place and not too touristy!

I'm leaning towards Pawley's Island I think....I want a place where we're on the beach, not too touristy, and good detecting potential LOL

Thanks everyone.

We'll only be there for 2 nights, then head up to Wilmington Beach for the bulk of our trip, so no tourists will be good :)

I suggested Litchfield by the Sea because it's a gated resort with condos to rent. You can only get on that part of the beach if you are staying there, or live in a couple of specific neighborhoods, or are willing to walk a long ways down the beach. I live close by and would like to detect there, but I'm not renting a condo to do it.

I suggested Litchfield by the Sea because it's a gated resort with condos to rent. You can only get on that part of the beach if you are staying there, or live in a couple of specific neighborhoods, or are willing to walk a long ways down the beach. I live close by and would like to detect there, but I'm not renting a condo to do it.

It looks wonderful....but we're only staying for a couple days there...I'll have to see if I can figure a place close enough for all that gold that's waiting for me :)

Well, the wife has made a decision. We're staying at Wrightsville Beach the whole time, but taking day trips to other beaches :)

Back
Top Bottom