Water Hunt Failure Today

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I launched my boat on Tuesday and Wednesday it snowed. Almost 4 inches of the fluffy white junk. What was worse is the mooring cover was in the shop getting repaired so the boat filled with snow. Yesterday it pretty much melted, but it was super windy and the lake was angry.

Today it finally got over 40°. In fact it went up to 44°. So being impatient as always I decided to load the boat and go out to one of my favorite spots a little over 6 miles out in the lake. I get out there, anchor, take a couple of photo's and then get ready. I get my heavy socks on, waders, finds pouch and pick up the metal detector.

DAAA, where is my scoop? In the back of my truck that's where! So I take everything back off, and come back in. My hands were frozen and I decided tomorrow is another day! It is supposed to be almost 60. Going to be a wonderful summer. I know I am not the first nor the last that forgot something and had to abort a metal detecting excursion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day before yesterday we drove through the mountains from Virginia to West Virginia. There were some serious snow squalls but the roads werent too bad. The car doors were cased in ice. The sun came out a few times and the temps varied between 27° and 33°. When we were on the last leg between Morgantown and Pittsburgh there were two whiteouts with serious gusts that pounded us for just a few minutes each. A few miles up the road the sun was out again.

Winter's death rattle, I suppose.
That last angry roar we usually see right around Easter.

Robert, if you're bummed that it's freezing cold, and no gold rings to find , come to my part of CA. It never goes below 40*-ish where I'm at . Eg. Only snows every 50 yrs. or so, of which it melts within an hour. Nor does it ever go much above 90*. The perfect year-round Mediterranean climate.

I bet you'd make a KILLING in Hawaii, advertising for under-water lost-ring recoveries. I can only imagine, with the bath-tub temp's and the continuous stream of honey-mooner tourists, that a lot of the rings being lost are out where only scuba would do the trick. But I'm sure there local hunters there who have, no doubt, wised up to this.

I feel guilty being here in Florida in 80 degree weather and with the Gulf water temp in the mid 70s while many of you are still freezing. Worse yet, the sun is shining and surf is as calm as a sleeping baby. With spring break college kids and families everywhere, the coins and jewelry almost don't even need a detector to be detected on the beaches - simply pick the stuff up off the clean smooth sand. And the scenery; awful - scantly clad women (and men) romping around the sand, greasing up their bodings with suntan lotion and wading in the surf while dropping rings like snow flakes falling from the northern sky.
I just wanted to apologize.
Now sorry, but I have to grab my 800 and T Rex scoop and volunteer to pick up trash and incidentals on the beach as a good Samaritan...have to get out early before it gets too warm.

I feel guilty being here in Florida in 80 degree weather and with the Gulf water temp in the mid 70s while many of you are still freezing. Worse yet, the sun is shining and surf is as calm as a sleeping baby. With spring break college kids and families everywhere, the coins and jewelry almost don't even need a detector to be detected on the beaches - simply pick the stuff up off the clean smooth sand. And the scenery; awful - scantly clad women (and men) romping around the sand, greasing up their bodings with suntan lotion and wading in the surf while dropping rings like snow flakes falling from the northern sky.
I just wanted to apologize.
Now sorry, but I have to grab my 800 and T Rex scoop and volunteer to pick up trash and incidentals on the beach as a good Samaritan...have to get out early before it gets too warm.

Hah! Well, that's good for you. Yes, pick please pick up the "trash", maybe even a pull tab or two. Good luck!

Recently I forgot my finds pouch one day and on another hunt I forgot my gloves. Occasionally I'll forget my dummy key for the car that I have around my neck and have to take off the real key from the keychain. I believe in being systematic and having habits. That's the best way to remember every thing you need. Many of us are probably the same but we still have are occasional oopsies. :roll:

i actually bought some of that TV advertised Jellyfish stuff to take for my memory because i forget stuff. and usually i forget to take it too....:wow::(

not joking.. life stressed to the max...

being a land hunter and having forgot stuff on several occassions, or broken something, i carry a spare of all in my trunk, cheapo pinpointer, i do carry a good simple detector, tesoro sabre or compadre, extra shovel- have broken several, headphones, hand digger, batteries etc... not my top line so if stolen wont cry too much...

i do find when i rush out to hunt i usually do leave something, so just loaded up spares for on hand. saves the day.

Sorry to hear that and it happens to us all. Last fall I hooked up my boat, loaded tackle, rods and headed to the lake. 40 miles down the road I realized I forgot my battery. (Electric motor only lake)

Back
Top Bottom