Pinpointer "leash".

HawgBonz

Prolly a good idea for us that are a bit forgetful or absent minded sometimes.
That would be me for sure.. :roll:

Is any one better than another? Bout the only big difference I've seen is coiled cable or recoil spring types like an air hose/extension cord reel.
Whatchyathink? Thanks.. d:^)

Prolly a good idea for us that are a bit forgetful or absent minded sometimes.

That would be me for sure.. :roll:

Is any one better than another? Bout the only big difference I've seen is coiled cable or recoil spring types like an air hose/extension cord reel.

Whatchyathink? Thanks.. d:^)
I made mine with paracord.

Cliff

Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 408
Looks to be about standard for a lot of what I saw.

Cliff- The paracord doesn't get in the way or snag on things?

He may be referring to making the coil style out of paracord and string trimmer line. Been a while since I watched a video on how to do it, but I believe you boil the line and wrap it on a dowel and let it cool. Remove the core from the cord and slide the line in its place. Take a look on YouTube.

You have a good point about the material snagging.

That’s pretty slick

Thanks! There's another thread here from a year or so ago with the same discussion. I think half a dozen people bought one and liked it too. It's very handy to just pop it loose and back on. The magnet is fairly strong too, I haven't had it pop off yet without me doing it. I'm in the woods tangled in stuff all the time.

I found a 4-pack of plastic coiled bungees with clips on both ends at Sportsman's Warehouse. Two were about 6" long, two a bit shorter the long one was perfect for the pinpointer.

Shorter one perfect for a loupe.

He may be referring to making the coil style out of paracord and string trimmer line. Been a while since I watched a video on how to do it, but I believe you boil the line and wrap it on a dowel and let it cool. Remove the core from the cord and slide the line in its place. Take a look on YouTube.

You have a good point about the material snagging.
Here is the one I made. It's nothing fancy. I made it long enough to reach from my belt to the ground so I rarely need to unclip it. It doesn't snag on anything and is easy to use.
6abee327e65edf22fee63257269a41b9.jpg

Cliff

Pinpointer "leash".

Wrap weed eater line around a short piece of pvc in tight coils. Tape ends so line stays coiled or tuck in predrilled holes, on pvc stick. Set in boiling water. Crimp down a piece to make a loop usually for 1/8 steel cable. They have been my fishing kayak paddle/rods leashes for 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something retractable would be much better. Those leashes dangling down would snag me up big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to avoid this one from Amazon based on the review below :laughing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQLJA4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

!WARNING!
Reviewed in the United States on May 22, 2019
Style Name: 28" Kevlar (20 Oz. Load)Verified Purchase
I messed up, I bought a sling shot not a badge lanyard. If im not careful this thing will bruise me. God d*** the retraction on this guy can pull a 3500 out of the depths of hell. Given the reach isn't all that. One day I was getting out of my chair I felt the badge tug, within a split second it felt as if someone just snapped a wooden ruler over my kidney. I spent about a good 2-3 mins holding my lower back, keeping my flesh from falling off. If you buy this, pray. to. God. you don't get whatever it's holding caught on anything. If it does, you better have your health insurance up to date.

!WARNING!
Reviewed in the United States on May 22, 2019
Style Name: 28" Kevlar (20 Oz. Load)Verified Purchase
I messed up, I bought a sling shot not a badge lanyard. If im not careful this thing will bruise me. God d*** the retraction on this guy can pull a 3500 out of the depths of hell. Given the reach isn't all that. One day I was getting out of my chair I felt the badge tug, within a split second it felt as if someone just snapped a wooden ruler over my kidney. I spent about a good 2-3 mins holding my lower back, keeping my flesh from falling off. If you buy this, pray. to. God. you don't get whatever it's holding caught on anything. If it does, you better have your health insurance up to date.

That's the second funniest thing I've read all day! :laughing:

Will it help me get my F150 out of the lake? Sounds like it might...

I'm telling ya, I was doubtfull using these for my and my wife's pinpointers, but they are tanks. Looking at my order history I think I even ordered the 8oz 48" and it asn't failed me in 6 years.

You may want to avoid this one from Amazon based on the review below :laughing:
Yayyy!! Functionality AND abuse!!
What's not ta love? :lol:

I'm thinkin anything that gets the cable outta the way is prolly better.
Too many sawtooth briars and brambles where I'll be doin a lotta my schwangin'.
Ain't no "walk in the park". :shock::D

I bought a lanyard made for fishing tools. It has a magnetic connection to snap it to my belt rather than use a holster. Been using it for a couple years now and it's been great.

Magnetic Net Release for Fly Fishing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3TAA8...abc_36FF6MT95EX3XPX6QE83?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can you explain how you snap it to your belt? Do you have one part of the magnet on one side and the other part connected to the pinpointer so you can pop it off?

It looks like there is a magnet on both ends. One would be by your belt and the carabiner and the other would be by the pinpointer with the leash in the middle. So when you want to use it you just pop the magnet and when you are done you put it back so it's not hanging on the leash dragging on the ground. That's what I take from the pic but I'm not a flyfisher so not sure. I do like it however.

61bf4O8DhmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom