coin roll hunting? why bother?

Shows like storage wars don't help matters. They make it look fun and worthwhile so I'm not suprised.

Gotta look at it this way, if CRH or Storage Wars or whatever was so easy, people would be lined up by the hundreds. As it is, MD requires work and a commitment and that scares many people away...........

Dusty

Hey, I only get sealed boxes. Try a couple sealed boxes and hopefully your luck will change. If your bank is charging you I would quit dealing with them. Have been crh'ing for many years and not charged a cent [knock on wood]. So many banks are hurting and I'm sure they need every acct. they can get. Most banks will order coins for you if you open an acct. but ask questions about charging you before you open anything. Let them know your intentions then there is no gray area. Good luck.

You never know when you will find silver. The key is searching volume. My first try this year, I scored 17 silver halves and 11 silver dimes, and I only searched about $1500 total in customer rolls. Last year I scored several solid silver rolls of halves, and about 400 silvers, I searched about $20k in dimes and $5k in halves.
It's not unusual to order 10 boxes of halves and they are all skunks.
Another poster was right when he said you are "hunting" for coins.
No guarantee. Yes, tellers are picking silver, but others are not. You will never know unless you look.

It's all about quantity. I put 1k in it every week but I make multiple drops and pick ups during the week, so I actually am looking through between 8k-10k each week. Not uncommon to go several thousand dollars in between silvers but then I will hit a box with over 20 in it and it's worth every skunk box I had to go through.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, advice, and encouragement to continue. I love coins to much to quit I will try harder!

I have never understood the interest in coin roll hunting, especially in 2010/11. If someone spent the same amount of time looking through Ebay auctions they'd probably find many more better deals. (Some things really do slip through cheap) I think the problem is most want something for free... which makes no sense if you can pay something, but get a whole lot more. Different strokes for different folks I guess but I wouldn't coin roll hunt even if I was guaranteed a few silver coins every time I did it.

I have never understood the interest in coin roll hunting, especially in 2010/11. If someone spent the same amount of time looking through Ebay auctions they'd probably find many more better deals. (Some things really do slip through cheap) I think the problem is most want something for free... which makes no sense if you can pay something, but get a whole lot more. Different strokes for different folks I guess but I wouldn't coin roll hunt even if I was guaranteed a few silver coins every time I did it.

More silver for me then!!! muuuhahaaaa!! :jester:

Thanks for the tips, advice, and encouragement to continue. I love coins to much to quit I will try harder!

That,s the attitude to have, and a must have in the business of hunting, that's why its called hunting not finding, kinda like how its called fishing not catching and so on, And when you do find silver you are paying WAY less for it than you will EVER find on feebay, if I am wrong then I invite someone to show me the crow I must eat, really, how do you get better than paying .01-.10 for a mercury dime or .50 for a silver half etc. And there are still oldies out there, my son just pulled a 1911,1909 wheat from a box we just got yesterday, the 2 boxes before would have been skunks except we are collecting copper, pre 1982, and weigh your 82's because some are copper some are not.I love this part of coin collecting, face value for old copper and silver and the possible ???? how do you beat that!

More silver for me then!!! muuuhahaaaa!! :jester:

The problem is you have to work WAY too hard for it. I can buy and flip in a couple weeks more than I would find sorting through coin rolls in a year or more.

But if you enjoy it by no means stop!

The problem is you have to work WAY too hard for it. I can buy and flip in a couple weeks more than I would find sorting through coin rolls in a year or more.

To me MDing,CRH,coin collecting, fishing, rock hounding, etc. are not about work, or flipping, buying and profit,it is actually an escape from those things for me,When my Son and I go through a box of penny's it does not seem anything like work, the enjoyment he gets out of it is enough for me, and the bonding we achieve is priceless. Besides the fact that when ever I find a wheat or silver, I get excited each and every time. :cool:

That's what I'm talking about!!!! But, if ya wanna spend over $3.00 a gallon on gas driving back and forth to the bank, the folks in the Middle East will love you. I can find more in aluminum cans $$ within a mile of my house than I will find in any CRH.

Dusty

So what do you guys do with the silver? Do you sell it to coin collectors? Or do you sell it to people that melt it down and recycle the silver? I knew people are doing this with jewellery, but... I guess precious metal is precious metal.

I am curious why some of you consider this a waste of time when you will spend hundreds on MD stuff and gas to find mostly junk, as far as ebay and silver, never, I go to live auctions or usually my local jeweler who will always 100% of the time give me a better deal when selling or buying silver and gold, anyway, not trying to ruffle feathers, just curious. And what I do with my silver and good copper finds, keep them, thats what collecting is.

I sell my gold finds and my gold nuggets to ARA and get 98% melt value. I've never heard of a jeweler who will come close to that. I'm also a GIA certified Fine Jewelry Consultant. ARA is the best deal unless you melt your own........

Dusty

My friend,who also deals in many other valuables and antiques is honest, credible as well as credited and intelligent and deserves the business,If I ever find a bunch of gold jewelery I may go with ARA, but the gold I am usually dealing with are are my fines, my larger nuggets will generally fetch a much better price sold individual, but to each his own. I am sure there are banks that high grade their coins, but there are ones that don't either, I certainly would not depend on CRH for an income that's silly, anyway Peace, have fun whatever you are doing, life is short.... :cool:

I have been CRH for the last year. So far I have bought 26 boxes of pennies 2 boxes nickles 4 boxes of dimes and 2 boxes of quarters. My first box of pennies I got two indian heads 1887 and a 1907. Thought it would be easy to find indians after that but no more in the next 24 boxes yeah I had gotten over 500 wheats and over 400 canadian wheats. 1 buffallo nickel 11 silver dimes and 8 of them came in the last 2 boxes this week. But on the bottom of the boxes the inspection date when the boxes were sealed had a date of 2006. So with people cashing there silver in now those boxes might not make it back to the banks in rolls for possible a couple of years. I had gotten a box before that had a inspection date from 9 years ago. Just wanted to share my story and thoughts and good luck to all you CRH. Steve

Silver coins on Ebay are actually going for above melt value right now.

That's true if the coin is in decent shape....got an UNC 1889-O silver dollar for $31 a few days ago. Not going to melt that.

I've still got around $2,800 in silver that I'm going to send to ARA to help pay for my mom's chemo. Her Blue Cross insurance bill goes up every few months.

No more selling for me on Ebay as far as gold/silver. The fees (Ebay/PayPal) are too high, and when you throw in the increased postage rates and insurance as well as shipping supplies, forget it!!! :mad:

Dusty

The CRH thing is not just Easy money...TRUST me...:lol:
On another note, I thought it was funny that companys are selling a silver coin for say, a bit over $12.00. Then, You Can Buy the same Quality coin on the Bay for about 11.50, inc. shipping. But The coin currently is only valued at $10.00 and change worth of silver.... then fees for melt.... so this is how the world goes 'round or what?

Back
Top Bottom