Ok Etrac TTF Fans. Im a Bit Put Out With TTF. I Need Some Help!

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
Ok, so I decide to throw the 5" Sunray coil on the old Etrac and hit a super heavy iron infested church. I dug so many nails it wasn't even funny! I am using Goes4evers settings in TTF mode. Now here's my question. Why oh why does this machine false so much on nails?!!!!! What am I missing? I was getting high tones and fairly good numbers while swinging slow.

Will a coin come through loud and clear from a 90° turn just like in conductive mode?
Will it sound off with the coil stationary and not moving?
I was getting a lot of penny readings but I think it was falsing due to the terrible amount of nails.

Pointers?

G2M

What setting was your Sensitivity at??? How deep were the nails and were they modern or old? If your stationary and getting signals your too "hot" with your sensitivity.

What is your suggested Sensitivity and I'm assuming your Ground setting was Difficult?

Need a little more info. but I will tell you that at times you will get a High sound in heavy iron, but most of the time you'll hear the low thump of an iron hit as well....I guess as much as I can explain it by typing, the HIGH sound will come off the end of a LOW sound and the more you play with it the more "erratic" (sometimes just hit all LOW) it will become.

Another thought is to go ahead and increase some more on the FE side if its that bad. Example - try disc'ing out down to 30 and see if that improves things. I know you'll be nulling more, but if its that bad you need to change tactics.

Coin should come through loud and clear. Bury a wheat in that mess at the same depth as your nails and see if you can isolate. Work your problem at the site and see if you can improve things. That little ½" to 1" isolation wiggle....you've got to use that as well.

NebTrac

What setting was your Sensitivity at??? How deep were the nails and were they modern or old? If your stationary and getting signals your too "hot" with your sensitivity.

What is your suggested Sensitivity and I'm assuming your Ground setting was Difficult?

Need a little more info. but I will tell you that at times you will get a High sound in heavy iron, but most of the time you'll hear the low thump of an iron hit as well....I guess as much as I can explain it by typing, the HIGH sound will come off the end of a LOW sound and the more you play with it the more "erratic" (sometimes just hit all LOW) it will become.

Another thought is to go ahead and increase some more on the FE side if its that bad. Example - try disc'ing out down to 30 and see if that improves things. I know you'll be nulling more, but if its that bad you need to change tactics.

Coin should come through loud and clear. Bury a wheat in that mess at the same depth as your nails and see if you can isolate. Work your problem at the site and see if you can improve things. That little ½" to 1" isolation wiggle....you've got to use that as well.

NebTrac

Thanks NebTrac, I was running auto+3. The nails are fairly old 100+ years. I was running difficult. I did bury a dime at about 5 inches and could pick it up but I also got it to sound off in the stock coin mode as well.

So will a coin ring in loud and clear or will it be chirpy?

Thanks!
G2M

So will a coin ring in loud and clear or will it be chirpy?

Thanks!
G2M

Should be loud and clear, but I've pulled out coins with rust stains on them that would hit loud, but only in a little wiggle spot. So its up to you. If you're digging a bunch of High sounds and they're turning out to be nails, than you probably want to go with the "rate of returns" and concentrate on better signals.

Another option I used is to start to lower the Auto and see if that improves the situation. I think you could even just run it in "A" and be fine on depth, though I must admit I've not tried that coil. I think you've got the right set up though, but those areas you cover are gonna be tiny.

This has been interesting to me. I've been using a 6X8 from Firewxman, but I really need him there using it and me with stock so we can do some comparisons.

Keep it up. I do remember a fellow on another forum, that was in a particulary trashy part of old fairgrounds that started experimenting and was at -2 on Auto and started finding some great coins again, where he hadn't been in +3.

NebTrac

Other than getting a CTX3030 for your iron woes :p , here's what I do and works very well, but it's not for the faint of heart....

Try running your tone response in TTF as LONG as opposed to normal. it's really not that bad, but I will tell you it is deeper and can more easily decifer iron from coin. Iron/wrap around will chirp just like normal TTF, but your looking for those longer tone hits. There's no missing them. You don't even have to investigate.

Like I said it takes practice and patience, but I run both my Etrac and CTX3030 with tones set to LONG most of the time if the area is clean enough of canslaw. You'd be surprised at how good deeper targets sound.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Oh wait! Too late for that! :lol:

I think i may try the 8" coil out a little there today. I will try your suggestions and report back if I find any keepers!

G2M

I use the X-5 coil and ttf in extremely bad iron and aluminum trash. I get my best results by lowering the sensitivity and using long tones. You still can get fooled but it should up your ratio of good finds. Also keep that swing slow and the coil on the ground. When you get a repeatable high tone move around it and see if it repeats at at least one different angle. While I have dug a good target that only had a good ID from one angle two is a better bet.

nails will gives chirps but coins will be loud and clear, unmistakeable.....I think your doing what I do sometimes and that is your trying to turn a chirp into a good signal. You walk around it, going over it 100 times, like it is magically going to turn into something good.

Trust me, I do this sometimes when I am not getting good signals and I FOOL myself and dig a nail, when I KNOW better. When you go across a coin in TTF, you WILL know it, trust me, turn 90 degrees, and if your still getting the high tone dig it. Nails and iron will NOT give you a high tone after turning 90 degrees unless it is a BIG piece, even then a lot of times it will only from one direction

Concentrate on good solid 2 way signals, go mega slow and learn to ignore those iron chirps. I run mine in auto +3 all the time. It chirps on iron, but normally if you go back over the area again the signal will be a grunt. The faster you swing the coil, the MORE chirps you will get. SLOW way down and try what I said....let me know if you do better

I was having the same issue. Dug a pound of nails today and was happy to finally dig up a pull tab. You know that's a bad day!
I will make the changes from normal tone to long and see how that goes.
Thanks for the info!

I was having the same issue. Dug a pound of nails today and was happy to finally dig up a pull tab. You know that's a bad day!
I will make the changes from normal tone to long and see how that goes.
Thanks for the info!

LONG helps a lot, Remember...the deeper the target the shorter duration of tone response using LONG tones. Deeper is notably shorter, so it's much easier to decifer deep hits from shallow/surface hits. You must go a little slower than normal though.

Example.. A 8-9inch deep dime hit with LONG response will sound just like a 3-4 inch dime hit with the NORMAL response regardless of gain setting in regards to duration of tone. Its the same with both TTF or conductive modes, or Combined mode if your swinging a CTX3030. Hope this makes sense. Maybe ill make a video of it on both the Etrac and CTX. I'm a big fan of this setting though, really deep targets sing through and become more defined and less iffy.

@ G2M
Thanks for asking this question as the responses have helped me for sure. Thanks!

@Jressman
Excellent tip and I've tried it twice now at two colonial sites near me. Was able to pick up a few more relics that I've missed in the heavy nail patch. :D
Using Long tone really forces me to slow way down.

Thanks for the pointers everyone! I tinkered with TTF the other night at a really bad iron infested site. Complete null everywhere. I threw on TTF and pulled 30¢. A couple of the coins still squeeled in coin mode but for the most part, I would have missed about 5 coins if I wasn't using TTF. I was using the stock coil too, so I figure if I toss on the sniper coil, I may find even more.

Thanks again for the pointers!
G2M

LONG helps a lot, Remember...the deeper the target the shorter duration of tone response using LONG tones. Deeper is notably shorter, so it's much easier to decifer deep hits from shallow/surface hits. You must go a little slower than normal though.

Example.. A 8-9inch deep dime hit with LONG response will sound just like a 3-4 inch dime hit with the NORMAL response regardless of gain setting in regards to duration of tone. Its the same with both TTF or conductive modes, or Combined mode if your swinging a CTX3030. Hope this makes sense. Maybe ill make a video of it on both the Etrac and CTX. I'm a big fan of this setting though, really deep targets sing through and become more defined and less iffy.
Yep I solely use the long tone. And yes the deeper targets will sound like a normal tone. Took me a bit to figure that one out. I still do not use the TTF myself, because I hate it so much. But hey if it works for you that is what counts.

Back
Top Bottom