Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Forum Help & Announcements

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
JerseyMike's Avatar
JerseyMike JerseyMike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
Posts: 915
Default

I joined.......posted in the Intro section. A few answered and I noticed one had over 1100 posts (Arisaka). I asked if that was transferred from here or 1100 actual posts in 10 days. Nothing negative, just a question. This morning I find a PM from "Troutshrimped" which states he gave me negative feedback (whatever the heck that means). No text just negative feedback, I suppose in answer to my post. Strange. Anyway, if it ain't broke why fix it, I'm done there, staying here.

__________________
Tesoro Tiger Shark ~~~ Sovereign GT

Reply With Quote


  #122  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Flyerdog's Avatar
Flyerdog Flyerdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 376
Default

Hey Jersey. Troutshrimped is a rookie over there and prob clicked the wrong icon. That being said however there are a couple of guys over there (one of whom you mentioned) who are post crazy. It ruins it for me as you have to wade through a LOT of posts to get any content. Many of their posts are smiley icons or comments like "I agree". Obviously just boosting posts. Forum is so new and total posts so low that they (he)dominates the whole forum. I do like the forum however. Once the highest possible rank is achieved he will hopefully pick up another hobby. Give it another try some time.

__________________
Jim
--White's XLT with SunRay XL-1 probe--

Reply With Quote


  #123  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
JerseyMike's Avatar
JerseyMike JerseyMike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
Posts: 915
Default

Originally Posted by Flyerdog View post
Hey Jersey. Troutshrimped is a rookie over there and prob clicked the wrong icon. That being said however there are a couple of guys over there (one of whom you mentioned) who are post crazy. It ruins it for me as you have to wade through a LOT of posts to get any content. Many of their posts are smiley icons or comments like "I agree". Obviously just boosting posts. Forum is so new and total posts so low that they (he)dominates the whole forum. I do like the forum however. Once the highest possible rank is achieved he will hopefully pick up another hobby. Give it another try some time.
I just mentioned your exact sentiments to someone, seems the place is geared to those who are more interested in who and how they appear on a forum rather than the content. Style rather than substance. Stuff I couldn't care less about it. Yes, that guy/kid whatever he is later sent a PM and said all the functions confused him and he apologized. I'm staying here. As a matter of fact I don't bother visiting other forums anymore since I usually read the same stuff on all of them, thios place is good enough for me and serves my purposes.

__________________
Tesoro Tiger Shark ~~~ Sovereign GT

Reply With Quote


  #124  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 AM
SandFisher's Avatar
SandFisher SandFisher is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 214
Default

.
I left here months ago after being jerked around, so watching as
many are now being jerked around is no surprise to me

I came here for three reasons....

I use classic detectors, and do very well with them I might add, so when I need a lower, a coil, a back up machine, whatever, I very likely am looking for a used unit, and I would much rather give my money to a member here than someone I don't know from Adam on eBay.

So the classifieds is one reason.

The second reason is this forum uses vBulletin software.
State of the art software is what is needed for a forum like this and vBulletin is the very best forum software available.
I know vBulletin software really well, and I have "a lot" of experience posting on forums that use it, it's hands down the best.

The third reason was the content, there is plenty of good content here.


I went over and looked at Liberty, the software is MyBB, that is Free software and for free it is great, but as we all know,......."You Get What You Pay For".

So here's the problem,

You can shift members from a site with clapped out free software to vBulletin and they are besides themselves with how well things are laid out,..................

But you can't do it the other way around, everyone will be upset.

The best way to describe it is to think of free forum software as a two bedroom apartment, and vBulletin as a nice two story house with a pool.

Moving from an apartment in a beautiful house,.... good thing.

Moving from a beautiful house into an apartment,....not such a good thing.

Now if Liberty was also built using vBulletin software that would be different, I doubt anyone here would care very much because every bit of content, all the post counts, photos, heck even the messages could just be slid over to the new site because the software is the same, members already know how things are laid out, they know their way around, and so no problem.

"But", vBulletin software is expensive, just like the two story house with the pool.

Carol & Vlad put in a ton of time and effort in keeping this site rolling, and they pay the bills....................

So, if you want vBulletin software over on the other site I suggest the members hold a fund raiser and pay for it.
Carol & Vlad already know vBulletin, and they know it's vastly superior to any of the free forum software so should be no problem there.

See,.... problem solved, I leave this place for a few months and it falls apart,....LOL


As for me, I won't be posting on either one of these sites, because I was jerked around here, and MyBB is not so good, that's why it's free, (big surprise).

For all you people that are not so experienced with forums, on any forum just scroll to the very bottom of the page and the maker of the software is stated there.


So take care everyone, I hope you all find plenty of good stuff.

SandFisher
Reply With Quote


  #125  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 AM
SandFisher's Avatar
SandFisher SandFisher is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 214
Default

.This is why we do what we do..................


$1 million for a penny; one of world’s rarest coins sold at auction.










One of the first pennies ever produced by the U.S. Mint was put up for auction Thursday night and reportedly sold for more than $1 million.

Bids for the 1792 Silver Center penny reached $1.15 million Thursday night, according to Heritage Auctions, which conducted the sale. The U.S. Mint itself was founded in April, 1792.

If you don't have $1.15 million on hand, there are more affordable rare coins available. The Canadian Mint recently began selling a limited-edition glow-in-the-dark quarter featuring a dinosaur skeleton for around $30.

And the website ThinkGeek offers electromagnetically shrunk quarters for $25, or 100 times their actual value as currency.

ABC News reports that the rare penny is made of copper with a small silver plug at its center. It was an experiment by the then-fledgling U.S. Mint, which shelved the penny before it could go into mass circulation. The U.S. Mint determined the penny was too large and heavy for practical use.

Todd Imhof at Heritage Auctions told ABC that unlike today's legal tender which bears the inscription, "In God We Trust," the copper-silver penny reads "Liberty Parent of Science & Industry."

"At the time, industry and science reflected an enlightenment mindset," Imhof said. "People believed freedom of thought and industrial growth would bind and unify the new country, not religion or God."

An anonymous collector who has owned the coin for 10 years sold the penny. "With collectible items, for an item to sell for over a million dollars it is an unusual event," Imhof said.

However, Imhof also said a coin of the same type sold for close to $3 million over a year ago. Still, the $1.15 million sale is one of only 30 $1 million-plus coin sales in history.




More Pictures Here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...181733038.html


Maybe a member here will find one of these and start their own forum.

LOL
.
Reply With Quote


  #126  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 28,713
Default

Originally Posted by SandFisher View post
.
I left here months ago after being jerked around, so watching as
many are now being jerked around is no surprise to me

I came here for three reasons....

I use classic detectors, and do very well with them I might add, so when I need a lower, a coil, a back up machine, whatever, I very likely am looking for a used unit, and I would much rather give my money to a member here than someone I don't know from Adam on eBay.

So the classifieds is one reason.

The second reason is this forum uses vBulletin software.
State of the art software is what is needed for a forum like this and vBulletin is the very best forum software available.
I know vBulletin software really well, and I have "a lot" of experience posting on forums that use it, it's hands down the best.

The third reason was the content, there is plenty of good content here.


I went over and looked at Liberty, the software is MyBB, that is Free software and for free it is great, but as we all know,......."You Get What You Pay For".

So here's the problem,

You can shift members from a site with clapped out free software to vBulletin and they are besides themselves with how well things are laid out,..................

But you can't do it the other way around, everyone will be upset.

The best way to describe it is to think of free forum software as a two bedroom apartment, and vBulletin as a nice two story house with a pool.

Moving from an apartment in a beautiful house,.... good thing.

Moving from a beautiful house into an apartment,....not such a good thing.

Now if Liberty was also built using vBulletin software that would be different, I doubt anyone here would care very much because every bit of content, all the post counts, photos, heck even the messages could just be slid over to the new site because the software is the same, members already know how things are laid out, they know their way around, and so no problem.

"But", vBulletin software is expensive, just like the two story house with the pool.

Carol & Vlad put in a ton of time and effort in keeping this site rolling, and they pay the bills....................

So, if you want vBulletin software over on the other site I suggest the members hold a fund raiser and pay for it.
Carol & Vlad already know vBulletin, and they know it's vastly superior to any of the free forum software so should be no problem there.

See,.... problem solved, I leave this place for a few months and it falls apart,....LOL


As for me, I won't be posting on either one of these sites, because I was jerked around here, and MyBB is not so good, that's why it's free, (big surprise).

For all you people that are not so experienced with forums, on any forum just scroll to the very bottom of the page and the maker of the software is stated there.


So take care everyone, I hope you all find plenty of good stuff.

SandFisher

You haven't posted here since december so you decided to comeback and share a few final words? enlighten me how you were jerked around because from reading some of your posts I see nothing...

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Banned Spammers 763

Reply With Quote


  #127  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM
~Alan~'s Avatar
~Alan~ ~Alan~ is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S.E.England
Posts: 4,847
Default

Not having the time or inclination to trawl through all of the posts on this particular thread, can someone
please explain to me in simple terms, what the fuss is all about please ?

__________________
Tecknetiks T2 with 13" Detech Ultimate coil.
Nikon D500 DSLR

Reply With Quote


  #128  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 28,713
Default

Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View post
Not having the time or inclination to trawl through all of the posts on this particular thread, can someone
please explain to me in simple terms, what the fuss is all about please ?
No clue

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Banned Spammers 763

Reply With Quote


  #129  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Hotrod Tom's Avatar
Hotrod Tom Hotrod Tom is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by JerseyMike View post
I joined.......posted in the Intro section. A few answered and I noticed one had over 1100 posts (Arisaka). I asked if that was transferred from here or 1100 actual posts in 10 days. Nothing negative, just a question. This morning I find a PM from "Troutshrimped" which states he gave me negative feedback (whatever the heck that means). No text just negative feedback, I suppose in answer to my post. Strange. Anyway, if it ain't broke why fix it, I'm done there, staying here.
I think someone started a contest over there where the first member to have like 10,000 posts wins a silver dollar or something like that. Some people just need the attention.

__________________
Excal,Excal II,Sovereign,Etrac,Barracuda PI,Whites DF PI,Garrett Ace 250

Reply With Quote


  #130  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Bearharold's Avatar
Bearharold Bearharold is offline
Official Pull Tab King
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Liberty , Mo.
Posts: 3,738
Default

I had a bad experience on the other site also . They said that members had the right to give bad reps and warnings when they got the site started , so I was trying out the reps and gave a gentleman 1 bad rep to see if it worked or not , he had several positive reps so wouldn't miss one Now I didn't post why I gave it to him ( My Mistake ) and with in 5 minutes he was crying like a Baby with Diaper rash (he was one of the first high number posters ) .. So I went back and posted that i had made a mistake and I gave him 2 positive reps to make up for it , but then I noticed that the admin had already removed my negative rep Before I could even respond without asking me if I wanted to remove it or not then they turn around and changed the warnings and rep feature so you couldn't use it unless you was one of those high posters so that ran me off that site quickly . It didn't take long to figure out that it was just a site for CM want to Be's and all the guys were just playing games and not serious about Metal detecting . I don't have a problem with the site its the owners site they can run it anyway they want too but I will stay over here where its serious metal detecting info and less games ..

__________________
Whites M6 & Garrett Ace 250


Last edited by Bearharold; 05-07-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #131  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
(Heavy)'s Avatar
(Heavy) (Heavy) is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ChicagoLand
Posts: 1,863
Default

new site? where I still see classifieds

go out and metal detect, come home and go to bed
Reply With Quote


  #132  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Burbank Bob's Avatar
Burbank Bob Burbank Bob is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missouri City, Tx.
Posts: 1,990
Default

I post here and will look at Liberty for classifieds. Too much noise over there and not much "good" content. I don't have much time for one forum, let alone post at two.

The whole "negative" post feedback function over there could melt the place down.

It's a sure way to find good members leaving when trolls like Detecto or Coinmaster or whatever name he goes by now starts pushing negative feedback on every post you make.

__________________
Burbank Bob - Dirt and Water Fish'in

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now thats how it's supposed to be. Silver #3... and 4 gameoftag Coinshooters and Relic Hunters 4 07-06-2013 11:35 AM
How Am I Supposed To Get Any Work Done. Richardhead14 General Hobby Discussion 4 04-02-2013 03:31 PM
I know you're not supposed to clean coins but... Captain Yoda Stories and Pictures of Finds 9 11-16-2012 01:42 PM
how are you supposed to hunt along the shore? JunkInTheTrunk Beach and Water Hunting 28 06-15-2012 01:20 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.