Why can't we trade precious metals for other precious metals

I dunno, trading coins for coins can be tricky and you're often going to have someone that gets their "new" coin(s) and thinks, "This wasn't as good of a deal as I thought it was." This often happens when there are foreign coins in the mix. Selling coins outright often times results in fewer complaints, buyers can check the current value of the the coins for sale rather quickly and decide to buy or not.....

Dusty

You're busting my hustle. Also that would be the persons fault for doing the trade. If you post pics and get whats in the pic you can't argue that.

"This wasn't as good of a deal as I thought it was."

you should have thought harder. I don't see a difference from trading or using fiat money its the same thing. What gets me is i can post my foreign silver and gold coins to buy an Etrac machine but i can't trade it for other coins?

You're busting my hustle. Also that would be the persons fault for doing the trade. If you post pics and get whats in the pic you can't argue that.

Ain't busting ya, dude!! There are a lot of fake coins out there from China, Mexico, etc......plus, as the price of silver rises, folks are selling more and more "silver" coins from overseas. I doubt most folks here have a running knowledge of the silver content of coins from Europe/Asia, etc.

To be frank, there's about a half dozen member's here I've done business with and will continue to do business with. I've never been messed over on FMDF, unlike eBay. Then again, I've never "traded" coins.

Peace, 'bro!!!!

Dusty

Ain't busting ya, dude!! There are a lot of fake coins out there from China, Mexico, etc......plus, as the price of silver rises, folks are selling more and more "silver" coins from overseas. I doubt most folks here have a running knowledge of the silver content of coins from Europe/Asia, etc.

To be frank, there's about a half dozen member's here I've done business with and will continue to do business with. I've never been messed over on FMDF, unlike eBay. Then again, I've never "traded" coins.

Peace, 'bro!!!!

Dusty

If you're posting fakes that's scamming people then. They can do it for gear is ok just not for other coins?

Also foreign coins shouldn't make a difference or else how will Canadians, Germans, Russians trade their silver unless it has to be American silver lol

I just went through the Classifieds, and there's only 3 members with threads for coins.

Doesn't warrant a forum by itself I don't think.

So maybe we should go back to the original topic of WTT coins for coins.

I can't think of any reason why a member shouldn't be allowed to trade coins if he wants.

"If you build it, they will come"

I think it would get used quite a bit by members here if it was laid out for them.

A couple thoughts:

Threads should never be deleted in the classifieds section. Being able to search a user's selling history is quite important for any potential buyer. Keeping threads on the server doesn't slow the site down or take up that much space, old threads are naturally moved off the first page and won't be "in the way" for anyone, but will be available for those who need to find them.

A separate "Feedback" forum could be created, in lieu of installing a feedback vb extension, a seller can have their own feedback thread contained there where he asks any buyers to post their buying experience. The buyer could also link to the ad in their feedback post, since it wouldn't get deleted.

Forum users are generally very good at self-policing. If a user is seen abusing the system, users will let admins & moderators know about it. Forcing a user to only have one thread at a time shouldn't be necessary, IMO.

Those are just a few of my thoughts, FYI I have been an admin and moderator of several large forums, and this is one of my favorites now. Thanks for providing it for us to use and considering ways to make it better. :) HH!

Numismatics & MD Finds subforum

Who can post FS/WTB/WTT in this forum?

Any member who has a post count of 100 posts AND has been a member for 60 days can post a FS/WTB/WTT

What can members FS/WTB/WTT in this forum?

Members can sell/buy/trade their metal detecting finds, coins, or precious metals in this forum. NOTHING ELSE!

---Metal Detecting Finds includes relics, jewelry, or coins

---Coins include foreign, tokens, medals, paper money, and US Mint coinage.

---Precious Metals includes gold or silver coinage, rounds, bars, commemoratives

Rules for Sellers/Traders

1. Items for sale, or for trade, should be your own personal property and be accurately described.
2. Do not put up for sale or trade items on behalf of a third person, or items that you are unable to vouch for, or make right in case the item does not perform as described.
3. Your for sale or trade post should be self contained, without references to another site where you may also have it for sale (sponsoring dealers are exempt).

Do not put links to eBay, or other forums where you may also have the same item for sale or trade.

4. For sale items should include the price. If you don't include a price, we may think it is an auction and your post may be deleted.

PLEASE KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH!

I think this is perfect Carol, nothing needs to be changed from that post.

Okay, since nothing about Classifieds is set in stone, we're going to try a couple subforums to separate the clutter.

We added Numismatics & Finds, and Archive & Feedback

from leftyz....A couple thoughts:

Threads should never be deleted in the classifieds section. Being able to search a user's selling history is quite important for any potential buyer. Keeping threads on the server doesn't slow the site down or take up that much space, old threads are naturally moved off the first page and won't be "in the way" for anyone, but will be available for those who need to find them.

A separate "Feedback" forum could be created, in lieu of installing a feedback vb extension, a seller can have their own feedback thread contained there where he asks any buyers to post their buying experience. The buyer could also link to the ad in their feedback post, since it wouldn't get deleted.

Forum users are generally very good at self-policing. If a user is seen abusing the system, users will let admins & moderators know about it. Forcing a user to only have one thread at a time shouldn't be necessary, IMO.

If it works out great, if not, at least we tried. :D

If we could get members to edit their thread when the item is SOLD, it would help ALOT!

The only threads being moved to Archive is ads from md equipment and accessories.

All coin ads either sold or not will stay in Numismatics, they will not be moved.

And the limit of one thread per member is not in effect in the Numismatic Forum.

Okay, since nothing about Classifieds is set in stone, we're going to try a couple subforums to separate the clutter.

We added Numismatics & Finds, and Archive & Feedback

If it works out great, if not, at least we tried. :D

So Carol...
I got a 1974 Pinto I need to dump.
As long as you don't hit it with the hose to hard when washing it, it likely will not blow up.

Which of the new sub forums can I list this in?

So Carol...
I got a 1974 Pinto I need to dump.
As long as you don't hit it with the hose to hard when washing it, it likely will not blow up.

Which of the new sub forums can I list this in?

Did you find it with your detector??!!?:roll:;):p

Did you find it with your detector??!!?:roll:;):p

Actually, it was given to me by someone that hates my guts.
Kept kicking the rear bumper as I drove away.

To be real honest...this was actually the first new car I ever bought.
1974 Pinto purchased from Mel Farr Ford in Oak Park Michigan.
4 on the floor, never drove a stick before I got this
I was 19 and it cost me about $2500.
Luckily, I never got rear ended or it probably would have cost me my life.

A lot of people died before they fixed the problem, by then it was too late and it was discontinued.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FORD PINTO CASE:
THE VALUATION OF LIFE AS IT APPLIES
TO THE NEGLIGENCE-EFFICIENCY ARGUMENT
Christopher Leggett
Law & Valuation
Professor Palmiter
Spring, 1999
Abstract
Text of Paper
Abstract
The cases involving the explosion of Ford Pinto's due to a defective fuel system design led to the debate of many issues, most centering around the use by Ford of a cost-benefit analysis and the ethics surrounding its decision not to upgrade the fuel system based on this analysis.
ISSUE
Should a risk/benefit analysis be used in situations where a defect in design or manufacturing could lead to death or seriously bodily harm, such as in the Ford Pinto situation?
RULE
There are arguments both for and against such an analysis. It is an economically efficient method which has been accepted by courts for numerous years, however, juries may not always agree, so companies should take this into account.
ANALYSIS
Although Ford had access to a new design which would decrease the possibility of the Ford Pinto from exploding, the company chose not to implement the design, which would have cost $11 per car, even though it had done an analysis showing that the new design would result in 180 less deaths. The company defended itself on the grounds that it used the accepted risk/benefit analysis to determine if the monetary costs of making the change were greater than the societal benefit. Based on the numbers Ford used, the cost would have been $137 million versus the $49.5 million price tag put on the deaths, injuries, and car damages, and thus Ford felt justified not implementing the design change. This risk/benefit analysis was created out of the development of product liability, culminating at Judge Learned Hand's BPL formula, where if the expected harm exceeded the cost to take the precaution, then the company must take the precaution, whereas if the cost was liable, then it did not have to. However, the BPL formula focuses on a specific accident, while the risk/benefit analysis requires an examination of the costs, risks, and benefits through use of the product as a whole. Based on this analysis, Ford legally chose not to make the design changes which would have made the Pinto safer. However, just because it was legal doesn't necessarily mean that it was ethical. It is difficult to understand how a price can be put on saving a human life.
There are several reasons why such a strictly economic theory should not be used. First, it seems unethical to determine that people should be allowed to die or be seriously injured because it would cost too much to prevent it. Second, the analysis does not take into all the consequences, such as the negative publicity that Ford received and the judgments and settlements resulting from the lawsuits. Also, some things just can't be measured in terms of dollars, and that includes human life. However, there are arguments in favor of the risk/benefit analysis. First, it is well developed through existing case law. Second, it encourages companies to take precautions against creating risks that result in large accident costs. Next, it can be argued that all things must have some common measure. Finally, it provides a bright line which companies can follow.....

RE-

My 2 cents worth....
I may not post very much,but I read an awful lot especially when it concerns
my type of Metal detecting.
I have bought ,and sold on several metal detecting forums.
,and I have dealt with all kinds of people...young ,old, foriegn,dealers,Mods,
even Auzzies.:lol:
The number of posts does not concern me,I've had better luck with people with even lesser posts then members with 100's of posts. Its not like E-Bay..
where your rated by the amount of good feedback,and on time shipping.
No. and infact you have no rules that apply to that. soooo you might want to add feedback in all your selling forums,coins,detectors,antiques,Etc...Etc.
That way you can track all the good sellers in each forum. (and bad ones)
So why have a feedback forum??
Just a concerned member,, Kind regards..

Back
Top Bottom