Places i've hunted without permission

If it's obvious then I'll seek permission. If it's not posted and off the beaten path... well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive hunted empty empty lots without permission , but from the condition of the places and/or the amount of trash and traffic these places receive its pretty clear that the owner don't care. I was just one of many passers through. If I were to get technical about it , yeah I may be considered a trespasser ..... but according to Ohio state trespassing laws , .....

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:
(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another;
(B) It is no defense to a charge under this section that the land or premises involved was owned, controlled, or in custody of a public agency....

...... I am technically trespassing every time I detect city or county properties that are not intended for public recreation without permission , which I do often. Along the river banks in town.....empty lots bought by the city....curb strips.....etc.

Last edited:
Chris, good post.

... the amount of trash and traffic these places receive its pretty clear that the owner don't care. ....

Ah, here's where the devil is in the details: How do you *KNOW* the "owner doesn't care" UNLESS you ask ? And as you can probably surmise, you will get a safe/obligatory "no". Thus ... gee.... they "cared", eh ? But it's going to obviously be a case of : No one cared UNTIL you asked. Doh ! See the vicious circle :roll:

(B) It is no defense to a charge under this section that the land or premises involved was owned, controlled, or in custody of a public agency.....

Correct. You and I could be "trespassing" on "public property". Example: If you jimmy open the the window to the library or the mayor's office, and enter at 2am, you are "trespassing". Even though public property.

Why? Because it's not "intended use". Well gee, then that just opens up the pandora's box for all of us md'rs : Is metal detecting an "intended use". Some gardener or archie might gripe after all. So the way to find out is "ask", right ? Then guess what happens :wow:

Sometimes I think md'rs can be their own worst enemy :roll:

Been thinking about that too lately. Lot's of abandoned places in NH and was wondering do I dare....do you pack a weapon...LOL

Wow, some of you folks use too much starch in your shirt collars. I think that different areas of the U.S. probably have different ideas of right and wrong as far as areas to detect. In this locale at least no one would have a problem detecting any of those areas except the old mansion with the elderly owner.

Well after reading all these I only have one thing to say. Mom always said that if you didn't have anything good to say not to say anything. lol

Chris, good post.

Ah, here's where the devil is in the details: How do you *KNOW* the "owner doesn't care" UNLESS you ask ? And as you can probably surmise, you will get a safe/obligatory "no". Thus ... gee.... they "cared", eh ? But it's going to obviously be a case of : No one cared UNTIL you asked. Doh ! See the vicious circle :roll:

Correct. You and I could be "trespassing" on "public property". Example: If you jimmy open the the window to the library or the mayor's office, and enter at 2am, you are "trespassing". Even though public property.

Why? Because it's not "intended use". Well gee, then that just opens up the pandora's box for all of us md'rs : Is metal detecting an "intended use". Some gardener or archie might gripe after all. So the way to find out is "ask", right ? Then guess what happens :wow:

Sometimes I think md'rs can be their own worst enemy :roll:

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice, but, I think you are mistaken about jimmying open a window as simple trespassing. I'm almost certain that in most parts of the U.S.A. you would be charged with burglary. That is, if some occupant didn't terminate your life, first, which in this day and age of crime and terrorism is a distinct possibility. Someone that burglarizes a mayors office or library likely isn't up to anything good.

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice, but, I think you are mistaken about jimmying open a window as simple trespassing. I'm almost certain that in most parts of the U.S.A. you would be charged with burglary. That is, if some occupant didn't terminate your life, first, which in this day and age of crime and terrorism is a distinct possibility. Someone that burglarizes a mayors office or library likely isn't up to anything good.

In my old stomping grounds it was considered burglary with the lesser included charge of trespass to unlawfully enter any building, locked and jimmied or not. If there was damage caused gaining unlawful entry then criminal mischief was added as a little bonus.

Isn't it great that I know all this useful information off the top of my head :lol:

In my old stomping grounds it was considered burglary with the lesser included charge of trespass to unlawfully enter any building, locked and jimmied or not. If there was damage caused gaining unlawful entry then criminal mischief was added as a little bonus.

Isn't it great that I know all this useful information off the top of my head :lol:

Then there would also be the charge for the reason for the burglary--theft, attempted assassination, vandalism, espionage, terrorism, etc. Ooooo, looks like someone would be doing some hard time! :yes:

Being new to the hobby I find myself going to great lengths to gain permission to a spot to hunt.
Of course this has not paid off with a "Yes"

Example. There is an old plantation site that is located on a industrial park in my area. It is aged at early 1800s. I wrote, called, and finally got on the agenda for the boards review.
Yep, as you guessed it. "NO"
Drive by it occasionally and think why? But I keep driving.
Not judging but if I didn't have permission I wouldn't enjoy the hunt.

I admit it's frustrating to see opportunities that we I can't access.
Ill continue to chug away with this philosophy and hopefully it will pay off.

If any of you have any research tips other than the normal I would greatly appreciate your experiences.

I have searched a few old house sites dated in the 30s but dug mostly implements and trash. Obviously research is key to finding high value locations.

Any inspiration would be great!

Being new to the hobby I find myself going to great lengths to gain permission to a spot to hunt.

Example. There is an old plantation site that is located on a industrial park in my area. It is aged at early 1800s. I wrote, called, and finally got on the agenda for the boards review.

If any of you have any research tips other than the normal I would greatly appreciate your experiences.

I have searched a few old house sites dated in the 30s but dug mostly implements and trash. Obviously research is key to finding high value locations.

Wow! Excellent!! You are a good guy! Id print off and frame that Big old "NO!" as a trophy! Gold Leaf like a diploma! Nice Work!

I hunt plenty of private properties, I NEVER once ask for permission!.... I dont want to bother a stranger late at night or early of a morning....Sure, call me too chicken to door knock, or whatever,.!.

I just dont like bothering people! I'm a good guy though, Hell, I even round up errant shopping carts at the Piggley Wiggley parking lot and get them all corralled nice and orderly just for the hell of it....

Always thinking about others! Thats Me Alright! Doing a good turn daily kind of thing, helping old Ladies across the street and not hurting anybody or any animal that dont deserve it.........Eagle Scout training employed afield! But thats just me...I never liked selling popcorn door to door, Huge amount of effort! Financial bookkeeping, and a return trip involved even..! Just too much responsibility for a kid to deal with!

Good on ya to ask and get a big old "NO!" with the door slammed in your face! ...Like any freaking prepubescent Webelo or Brownie!....As an idea, Maybe take along a few boxes of macaroons or thinmints to bribe your way into a hunting spot? Nobody can resist a free box of cookies! Right? Especially for a good cause??: Dress nice and wear that neckerchief...Report back and thank me later..red beret and merit badge sash optional...

Last edited:

Wow! Excellent!! You are a good guy! Id print off and frame that Big old "NO!" as a trophy! Gold Leaf like a diploma! Nice Work!

I hunt plenty of private properties, I NEVER once ask for permission!.... I dont want to bother a stranger late at night or early of a morning....Sure, call me too chicken to door knock, or whatever,.!.

I just dont like bothering people! I'm a good guy though, Hell, I even round up errant shopping carts at the Piggley Wiggley parking lot and get them all corralled nice and orderly just for the hell of it....

Always thinking about others! Thats Me Alright! Doing a good turn daily kind of thing, helping old Ladies across the street and not hurting anybody or any animal that dont deserve it.........Eagle Scout training employed afield! But thats just me...I never liked selling popcorn door to door, just to many details!...

Good on ya to ask and get a big old "NO!" with the door slammed in your face! ...Like any freaking prepubescent Webelo or Brownie!....As an idea, Maybe take along a few boxes of macaroons or thinmints to bribe your way into a hunting spot? Nobody can resist a free box of cookies! Right? Especially for a good cause??: Dress nice and wear that neckerchief...

KTB62,

You are rather new to the Forum here so you may not get Mud-puppy's twisted sense of humor! ;):p:roll:

KTB62,

You are rather new to the Forum here so you may not get Mud-puppy's twisted sense of humor! ;):p:roll:

No I get it but I will not change the fact it's trespassing without permission.

BTW that's not a sense of humor

Man..It was all intended in jest I assure you! Granted, primarily for my own selfish benefit of a Sat morning internet amusement......

Welcome to the Forum and I wish you success with your forays afield!...Just trying to help....Let me apologize for offending you and make this up to you in some small way?

PM me your address and I'll send you a box of free cookies?...Or some wheat pennies? Whatever....Keep chugging along Brother! Sooner or later, just work the volumne...You bang on enough doors and ask enough people, no matter what you are wearing...sooner or later, you will get a 'OK, Go for it!' right?...:laughing:

In fact, for practice, you can come here and hunt my property all you want! Just stay out of the pacysandras and out of the lower paddock area of course......Just close the gates and Mind the dogs is all I ask...

Last edited:
10-4 you hit the nail on the head. It's all good!
Have a great weekend

Always thinking about others! Thats Me Alright! Doing a good turn daily kind of thing, helping old Ladies across the street and not hurting anybody or any animal that dont deserve it.........Eagle Scout training employed afield! But thats just me...I never liked selling popcorn door to door, Huge amount of effort! Financial bookkeeping, and a return trip involved even..! Just too much responsibility for a kid to deal with!

Good on ya to ask and get a big old "NO!" with the door slammed in your face! ...Like any freaking prepubescent Webelo or Brownie!....As an idea, Maybe take along a few boxes of macaroons or thinmints to bribe your way into a hunting spot? Nobody can resist a free box of cookies! Right? Especially for a good cause??: Dress nice and wear that neckerchief...Report back and thank me later..red beret and merit badge sash optional...

BTW that's not a sense of humor

:laughing: It's a sense of humor.... twisted, but a sense of humor none the less. :laughing:

I'm a newb as well and have the same philosophy (convictions) you have. There are plenty of empty lots in the town and surrounding areas I live in with some history to them but I wouldn't step foot on them without an affirmative response from the property owner or manager. A quick look at the GIS map and sure enough, the tract is in someone's name...

I could get out there and swing away but wouldn't be able to focus on the hunt. Maybe with the more NO's I get, the more of an outlaw I may become :lol: but right now I'm gonna gain permission myself.

Back
Top Bottom