How do I straighten a bent coin?

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I recently dug a barber and mangled it to death. Anyone know of a way to smash it back flat without doing further damage? I was considering putting it in a ziplock back and putting a few dish rags on either side of the coin - then putting it between two wooden boards and parking our 40,000 lb RV on the boards. Overkill? Do you think my 3,000lb car would suffice?

I have placed them between two blocks of hardwood and smacked them with a large hammer with no apparent damage. I doubt if I would try anything on a valuable coin though.

Coin on an old terrycloth washcloth on a 1x4 board resting on the smooth concrete in a garage. Cover coin with terrycloth, and leather or cardboard. Hammer the coin through the leather. How I would try it. Maybe try it on a mangled clad coin first.

I have used a small vice is my garage to straighten many bent coins, works great, silver bends easy

I have used a small vice is my garage to straighten many bent coins, works great, silver bends easy

Done the same...but never on silver. My vice did leave amark or two. Not sure if wood would work. I can see the wood smashing long before working out the deep bent part of the coin.

Here's my coin straightening kit. I buy and sell a lot of coins so have used it at least 100 times or more, and it has definitely paid for itself many times over. Ironically the only coin I broke was my own! (one I dug)

I have put $50 coins in this, probably $100 coins. :yes:

Attachments

• ck1.jpg
    ck1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,440
Thanks for the tips guys. Think I'll try the hammer and boards technique...

UPDATE: just tried a couple of wooden boards, put the coin in a plastic bag, and smacked pretty hard with a sledge hammer....NOTHING. The coin didn't flinch. What's the deal?

Thanks for the tips guys. Think I'll try the hammer and boards technique...

UPDATE: just tried a couple of wooden boards, put the coin in a plastic bag, and smacked pretty hard with a sledge hammer....NOTHING. The coin didn't flinch. What's the deal?
I never tried straightening a coin but was wondering why it didn't go flat by you whacking it between the boards, was the boards soft, did the coin go into the wood so to speak. Maybe need to put a piece of flat metal on top and below the coin and they whacking it. Like I say I don't straighten coins and would hate to see you ruin your coin.

I use hard woods like Oak or Walnut. A soft wood isn't hard enough. The coin will only sink in. Between hardwoods should straighten a coin without damaging it. It doesn't have to be a sledge hammer. If once isn't enough, hit it again.

I use hard woods like Oak or Walnut. A soft wood isn't hard enough. The coin will only sink in. Between hardwoods should straighten a coin without damaging it. It doesn't have to be a sledge hammer. If once isn't enough, hit it again.

I tried it in the garage with some old wood that's been sitting outside for a few years. One piece was rotten. I had a feeling it wouldn't work. Will cedar work? I have a ton of cedar. I need to find me one of those fancy vice tools. Might have one in the garage. This bent coin is driving me nuts though.

Back
Top Bottom