Meteorite?

CollegeKevin

Found 2 pennies, a Levis Strauss & Co button and some kind of rock that my detector picked up on. Looks like there's some kind of metal in it.

picture.php

Cool....I am no rock expert, but, perhaps that is a meteorite??? SOmeone can chime in on that....but just a thought.....I am totally ignorant on what a meteorite would look like...but I know they contain metal

:lol: Looks like we were typing at the same time......based on our subjects and the time stamps! hahaha

I brought it to my science department on campus but the people that would know what it is already left for the day. The 2 professors first assumption was that it is a meteorite, but they are Oceanographers. I will have to bring it in tomorrow and have the other 3 professors that know rocks look at it.

Stick a magnet to it. If it sticks it just might be a meteorite. It does appear to have some fusion crust, but the upper portion seems to be rusting out. I can't tell for sure, but you should have it checked out. Can you give measurements on it, or place it next to a ruler. If it is a meteorite it can be worth a good chunk of change depending on the size, and location of where you found it. If its an undocumented meteorite then you really have something.

how deep was the metal object? and where was it found in the woods or a desert area?

Also, if you do have it confirmed then keep hunting that area. You just might have stumbled upon a strewn feild. That my friend would be a dream come true. There are many strewn fields, but a strewn field that no one has hunted is just an amazing find.

Last edited:
I found another small piece that I dug pretty far down but thought it was garbage and threw it out. I don't have a ruler but its approx. 4x3x3 and it weights 380.1 grams.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

WOW! That's pretty big. There has to be more there. Most meteorites explode leaving some big pieces, but usually a lot more real smaller pieces. Some meteorites can range anywhere from 20-120 U.S. dollars a gram. Like I said before, if its undocumented you are looking at the higher end of the scale. It's considered a found or find meteorite (not witnessed), but a meteorite that was witnessed then recovered is worth the most (fall or fallen meteorite).

Last edited:
Oh, and i'm pretty sure it is. Please let us know when you find out, but the smooth black portions of the meteorite is the fusion crust created by the extreme heat coming into Earths atmosphere.

They will probably have to scrape/cut a small part off to be sure. That's what they did with mine. Not fun to watch, kinda like your dog getting a rabies shot!!!!!!

Dusty

There is a lot of sparkley stuff on it like I read. If it wasn't 7:20pm and dark out, I would go back because I had a lot of iron signals that I didn't dig up. lol

Does a magnet stick to it??

It could be something melted from a house fire, or garbage pile.

I find many melted bottles, and hunks of metal in a creek we Fossil hunt in

Does a magnet stick to it??

It could be something melted from a house fire, or garbage pile.

I find many melted bottles, and hunks of metal in a creek we Fossil hunt in

I dont have a magnet in my dorm but my propointer picks it up about 5 inches away

it definately has some iron in it. my guess would be a chunk of something melted or a meteorite. there seems to be some melting present, but not as much as i would think would be if it was a meteorite. have them cut it open!! even the slices of meteorites are worth a good amount

Back
Top Bottom