Possible Meteorite

TrailChaser

I'm really curious about this rock I found on the beach with my Prizm II on Monday.
It shows iron on the detector readout. It looks to be a piece of a larger sphere that was severely burned on the outside before shattering from internal gases expanding.(pure speculation)

I tried to get the pics as clear, close-up and in focus as possible. Let me know what you think. I'm thinking of taking it to the museum(or somewhere) and having an expert look at it.

This is the inside of the rock.
P1030744.jpg

Outside View.
P1030745.jpg

P1030746.jpg

P1030747.jpg

P1030748.jpg

P1030749.jpg

P1030750.jpg

From the little I have read and saw on TV, Metorites are supposed to be worth their weight in gold.

I remember an incident when I was scouting a field as a young tennager for an upcoming bow hunt and decided to sit at the top of a ridge to see where the deer were coming out in the evening. It started to get rather late and it was getting dark, I was about a mile and half in the woods and I looked up and saw a streak of light that was nearly as fast as a tracer round (bullet) that whiped by about 100 feet above my head. It hit in the trees behind me and I could hear the crash and the sound of the object hitting the ground and rolling in the leaves behind me.

I thought to myself "Holy Sh#t" that was a metorite!!! I thought about going to investigate and find it but I began to think about the movie "The Blob" and I chickened out.... what do you want, I was just a kid at that time and I didn't want to come running out of the woods with some alien slime digesting my arm....:lol: Crazy stuff, but the God's honest truth.

Wow, Neptune! Recently, travelling in the woods I was thinking the same. What if some meteorite fly over my head? Amazing! I am a bit jealous, though it was dangerous for your life.

I had a same thing happen when bow hunting a meteorite went buzzing by about 50 foot above the tree i was sitting in sparks were flying from the tail and the sound it made going by was loud. Did not see it land but its in a large field. Maybe i should look for it as well. :?:

I had a same thing happen when bow hunting a meteorite went buzzing by about 50 foot above the tree i was sitting in sparks were flying from the tail and the sound it made going by was loud. Did not see it land but its in a large field. Maybe i should look for it as well. :?:

Absolutley, be careful of the dreaded alien slime though.....:lol:

Apologies TrailChaser, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just relaying a personal experience...;)

Absolutley, be careful of the dreaded alien slime though.....:lol:

Apologies TrailChaser, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just relaying a personal experience...;)

No problem at all, I'm very interested in personal experiences that are as amazing that those stories.

The thing I found is not heavy, it seems very porous. After following that link posted by HEM I'm thinking it's slag.

It seems that ocean dumping of coal ash and slag have been a normal practice in the past for the US and lots of other countries.
EPA doc.

Also this is a good website with pics of slag about halfway down the page with this description: "Smelting of iron, slag from burning coal on ships and by local residents are sources of glass-like cinders that are abundant on area beaches. Cellar ash was a major constituent of materials dumped offshore."
xcinder.jpg

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/bight/anthro.html

Back
Top Bottom