Anyone?

zanelee

I've had this looked at by lots of historians, Antiques Roadshow "experts", other detectorists, etc.
No one has any idea.
I dug this in the oldest town in Texas a few years ago. No one can identify the metal it's made from either. It does appear to be pressed, not cast and it's very thin. I initially thought it was a tin can lid. (About the same size and weight)
The coins from King Carlos III and this find bear the same markings. (The last pic is of a coin from that time period, and is NOT my photo.)
The first and third pic is of the front, the second is of the back.

Anyone wanna take a guess?

Attachments

• M front.jpg
    M front.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 246
  • M back.jpg
    M back.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 234
  • medallion.jpg
    medallion.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 232
  • Carlos III coin.jpg
    Carlos III coin.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 238
Also of some note, the three holes at the bottom show slight wear on the bottom-side of the holes, as if something might have hung there and worn a bit from movement. There also appears to have been some type of attachment on the back. You can see some dark/black marks there.

Possibly a plate hanger that replicates a Spanish reale? Or attached to some kind of cooking utensil?
It appears to be copper or brass...

Attachments

• il_570xN.637053270_lgdf.jpg
    il_570xN.637053270_lgdf.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 224
Looks like there are solder spots on the one side like a pin was once attached?

Something to be worn on suit jacket or vest?

Jeff

Thanks for all the input!
You've given me lots of ideas to look at.
Is there a way to test metal to see what type it is? It's patina-ed like copper, but it's so thin and lightweight...
We had been thinking maybe some type of adornment for horse tack, but again, nothing to really go on.

Back
Top Bottom