metiorite?

juit

Elite Member
is this a metiorite?

found it on a cunstruction burried

36860929822_5e5b71b9e4_z.jpg

36891285981_41ccea0c06_z.jpg

Could be Pyrite,Magnetite,Hematite,Tourmaline....Here in Pa. where I live I see a lot of that used as bedding for railroad tracks....Maybe some amateur jewelry maker would have a use for it but I don't think it would have much value...

I agree, definitely not a meteorite. I also agree, pyrite, magnetite or hematite. My understanding is that pyrite does occur naturally as a sphere, a mass of crystals. How big is that thing??? Very curious piece. If you do want to sell it, take it to a rock shop. Bet they'd give you a few bucks for it. I'm not sure how common are the naturally occurring pyrite spheres. Might be quite uncommon, if only in the US. I've seen several that have come out of coal mines.
So, how big is it? I'll take a stab, size of a golf ball (common size).

Last edited:
Can it be polishd? Bigger than a golf ball

Ive actually ran a few pieces of that thru a tumbler for a week and the results were disappointing....All of those little facets will flatten out and it winds up looking just like a dull black rock...Those facets all pointing in different directions give it its shine as the light reflects in different directions...if it was mine id just leave it as it is

Yes, most likely pyrite sphere. Leave it that way, or they like to polish the exposed edges and make a nice contrasting surface of smooth/rough.

Nice find!

Hmmm, looks like the replacement beryllium sphere from Galaxy Quest! Look around, is there anything you can use to build a rudimentary lathe? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom