• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old Campsite At House?

relichunter4206

Forum Supporter
In my other post, I found a lot of cool bullets and other camp-related stuff in my backyard. Now, I got permission to detect in my neighbor’s yard and I found this. It seems to be an old milk/creamer pitcher, most likely from a campsite. I think I have decided on that my neighborhood could have been some sort of campsite/training area. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 553
Show us the bullets you found. They may help date your site. Your pot looks like an old time coffee pot, but just a guess.

Congrats on an oldie, not sure if it's period or not, but anyway a cool find. Are you finding anything else period in your yard relating to the war ?

Show us the bullets you found. They may help date your site. Your pot looks like an old time coffee pot, but just a guess.

Here are the bullets I found, and I also found a REM-UMC No.12 Shurshot shotgun stamp. I also found an old oil lamp knob along with old canned ham key. All of these things were fairly deep in the ground. If it helps, I found many nails and large pieces of metal scattered around my yard about a foot underground. Also, I live in Central New Jersey, in a somewhat historical county. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 483
Check the history in your area. There were military camps covering the entire township near me during the Spanish-American war. Many of the camp sites are now housing, warehouses, schools and so on. The bullets you found are the bullets we find often as the 45-70 and 30-40 krag were the military weapons at that time. It is possible there was a camp in your area, there were camps in a few eastern states. What area are you in?

I don't think your coffee pots all that old, or the bullets, maybe 100 years. I'd guess deer camp before military camp. I'd think you would have found some dropped bullets and bullets with a different squish to them. Those look to me like they all hit the same target. Someone was sighting in a deer rifle.

Back
Top Bottom