MXT faint chirp question

Daugela

I own an MXT and believe I'm getting better with it. I often find coins at 8 inches from faint distinquishable hits..

However, often I will get a faint, solid consistent tone with no ID or read out. Just tone.

Should I pay attention to these, or are they false hits because they are not identified?

Could the detector be picking something up that's so deep, it can't read it?

I dig, therefore I find! If you don't dig it how will you know? If it beeps i will check it out, even if it is a faint beep.

I generally do dig all solid beeps whether faint or not.

It's 50-50. Sometimes when I get a faint hit with no ID, I dig and find something really deep. Other times, I dig and there's nothing there.

I basically want to know why the MTX can produce a beep, but with no ID.

Thats for your benefit. Not enough returned signal to give even a half decent I.D. so its left up to you to decide to dig or not. With the XLT doubtful stuff is indicated at +95 and you have the option of notching out that number if you want to save digging.
I assume the MXT meter sensitivity has been set to ensure it doesn't register unless it can make a reasonable I.D. suggestion.

The MTX will register an ID even if it's doubtful. The MTX displays a vertical bar; the larger the bar the more likely the MTX is confident with the ID.

Therefore the MTX will occassionally give a faint +95 signal with a sliver of an ID bar. If the hit is deep, then it's probably a good idea to dig. If it's shallow, there's not reason for it to give an unsure reading therefore you shouldn't dig, IMHO.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

The way I understand it, the MXT is able to detect to greater depth than it is able to ID. (To put it another way, it is not able to identify to full detection depth.)

Believe me, I am also learning my MXT and wonder about the signal type you describe!

The engineering report says the audio is deeper than the ID. As far as if it is a good target ??? However if it is deep then dig. The great thing on the MXT is the audio, VDI, and probability bars are independant of each other. The discrimination only effects the audio.

The VDI numbers actually don't run -94.............0..............+94 they actually are like in a circle with -93, -94, -95, +95, +94, +93. At greater depths a target can flip back and forth between - and positive numbers. That + 95 can still be iron. Also as the targets get deeper the numbers might shift downward on the scale. A deep dime might read 74-75 and a shallow one might read 79-80.
Rob

Hang on. You get tone with no I.D. or read out (first post) but say the MXT will register an I.D. even if doubtfull (second post) ??
Re the posts about VDI numbers you must remember that 0 with ferrous to the left, non ferrous to the right is artificially set. In the true readout of metals iron is well up the list with ferrous to both sides. As rc says you have a loop.
Also not all machines I.D. drops on deeper targets or in high ground minerals. The Treasure Baron holds the correct reading as best it can then puts the reading 'up' so a Whites reading of +1 that at depth or in bad ground drops to
-1 or -2 would display as +2 or +3 encouraging you to dig rather than ignore.

Brian-

Sometimes I get a faint, consistent solid beep with no reading at all. The depth indicates deep, therefore I dig. Sometimes it's something good and other times it's nothing.

At the same time, I occasionally will hear that same beep (faint, consistent and solid), yet the MTX will give a display. Sometimes the display is correct and other times it's not. These beeps are also deep.

I just wondered why the MTX will give a visual sometimes but not the other times, despite the tones being similar.

I think the posted have given me a better understanding of the process. It answers my quesiton in a nutshell. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom