Lithium Batteries for the AT Pro???

wvdave107

Elite Member
Has anyone ever used disposable lithium batteries for their AT Pro? Just curious...I typically use Duracell or Energizer alkaline batteries and they work really well. Great Battery life with both. Just wondering if the lithium would work any better. The manual states....

• It is best to use quality alkaline batteries. When changing
batteries, be sure to replace with all new batteries for
optimum performance.

No big deal if nobody knows. Again, I'm just curious and I don't want damage my machine by using the wrong type of battery....Had a guy at work give me some new Energizer Lithium batteries to try...That's why I'm asking....

I thought about trying lithium in mine. But I figured as soon as I did, my kids would turn on my detector randomly and it would be dead before I even got to ise them. I usually run duracell, occasionally energezer and at one time quote a few Utilitec from Lowes.

I've only used Energizer and Duracell alkaline batts. in mine. [Edit] I don't think batt. chemistry is an issue provided you use quality cells, leakage would be my biggest concern.

But I use 3V lithium batts. in several flashlights and have no issue to date using quality batts. I need to read up on any advances and new tech.

If you don't mind wading through threads to find some info, try this.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...SO-8859-1&q=lithium+vs+alkaline&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Be careful, you may pick up a new habit, err.. I mean "hobby". :grin:

Hope this helps.

HH

I use energizer lithium in at pro and love them! Worth the extra money. They last twice as long as regular and they give their all almost to the end. What I mean is the detector will say full power till about the last half hour of the battery's life. But when they start to go they go fast.

I used 1 set of Alkaline batteries in my Safari when I first got it and then nothing but Eneloops for years. They gave the same # of hunt hours as best I could tell. WAAAAAY cheaper in the long run to use quality Li rechargables.

I dont think you are supposed to use LI batteries because they have a different voltage then normal alk batteries

I stick with Energizers personally, although I plan on upgrading to rechargeable batteries in the near future. I have ~50 energizers at home, but once that supply is close to depleted, I'll be getting a couple nice sets.

Again, I'm just curious and I don't want damage my machine by using the wrong type of battery....Had a guy at work give me some new Energizer Lithium batteries to try...That's why I'm asking....

I've not used them (I use rechargeable NiMH batts), and I don't have an AT Pro, but the manual for my AT Max states specifically that "note: 1.5V/cell Lithium batteries can also be used, but the use of 3.7V/cell Lithium batteries will damage the detector." I can't image that the AT Pro would be any different since both machines run on 4 AA batteries as the standard, but if the AT Pro doesn't have the same language in the manual it might be worth just giving Garrett a quick call to verify.

I've not used them (I use rechargeable NiMH batts), and I don't have an AT Pro, but the manual for my AT Max states specifically that "note: 1.5V/cell Lithium batteries can also be used, but the use of 3.7V/cell Lithium batteries will damage the detector." I can't image that the AT Pro would be any different since both machines run on 4 AA batteries as the standard, but if the AT Pro doesn't have the same language in the manual it might be worth just giving Garrett a quick call to verify.

Think I will give them a call. The statement on my original post is directly from the manual. Have 4 free, brand new lithium batteries and I'd hate for them to go to waste...LOL. Thanks ya for the post.

I dont think you are supposed to use LI batteries because they have a different voltage then normal alk batteries

How do you figure ? I've got a pack of Lithium AAA's right here in front of me (got them for a flashlight). And the label says " 1.5 V " right on them. So how do you figure ?

Besides, the detectors have voltage regulators anyhow, eh ?

How do you figure ? I've got a pack of Lithium AAA's right here in front of me (got them for a flashlight). And the label says " 1.5 V " right on them. So how do you figure ?

Not all batteries are created equal. Most Lithium-ion like the one in your phone or the button batteries are 3.7v. You can buy a regulator to get 1.5v from Li-on from RC shops. They use 3.7v motors and 1.5v servos so they put the regulator in to save the weight of adding alkaline batteries.

Lithium iron disulfide batteries run about 1.8, close enough to be compatible with alkaline and last a long time but aren't rechargeable.

There are some rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries with built in regulators that are 1.5v now but so far the reviews aren't good. I'm waiting for gen 2 of these.

ETA: I hear good things from folks around here about RNB Li-on packs. Don't have one myself yet but I'm thinking about it. Right now I use the Sunbeam brand from the dollar store. Last just as long as Energizers for 1/4 the price.

Has anyone ever used disposable lithium batteries for their AT Pro? Just curious...I typically use Duracell or Energizer alkaline batteries and they work really well. Great Battery life with both. Just wondering if the lithium would work any better. The manual states....

• It is best to use quality alkaline batteries. When changing
batteries, be sure to replace with all new batteries for
optimum performance.

No big deal if nobody knows. Again, I'm just curious and I don't want damage my machine by using the wrong type of battery....Had a guy at work give me some new Energizer Lithium batteries to try...That's why I'm asking....

If they're 1.5v they'll be fine. Should last a lot longer too.

Li batteries usually are 3.6-3.7v. I also believe it says them in the manual to not use them. I have a 10s4p 18650 li battery on my eskate board and the 10s makes it 36v.

Its beyond me why some people think that an expensive electronic item wont have a simple voltage regulator inside. All batteries fluctuate as they are used and as they age. Electronic engineers know what they are doing when they design the detector.

Now there may be an exception to a cheap Chinese knockoff, but QUALITY stuff will be fine.

Those warnings are akin to the "Do not put your tongue on the spinning blade while the lawn mower is in use" warnings.
(spit)Lawyers.

Think I will give them a call. The statement on my original post is directly from the manual. Have 4 free, brand new lithium batteries and I'd hate for them to go to waste...LOL. Thanks ya for the post.

No problem...let us know what they say! I’m betting you’ll be able to use them if they’re rated at 1.5V :yes:

Think I will give them a call. ....

Even if they say "no don't use them", that could just be a canned obligatory answer. Just like the instructions to take 2 aspirin. If you ask the aspirin Co. "Can I take 3 ?" they'd say "no".

Thus even if they say "no don't do it", I'd wonder if it's just some sort of safe obligatory answer, that's set in an over-abundance of litigious caution, yet with no bearing on reality.

Most components on a circuit board are rated for more than what the board uses. A capacitor will usually say on it the operating voltages its rated for. Say for example 6 to 12 volts. I would venture a guess that you could run an at pro on 9 volts with no problems other then maybe the detector being a little unstable at higher sensitivities. I have actually thought about trying this with mine and posting a video on YouTube how it turns out. The at pros battery holder actually has 9 volt terminals for making the connection inside. But would it make a substantial difference in performance to justify doing it? In example, more depth or sensitivity. But otherwise I would not recommend anybody doing this unless you can afford to take the risks involved.

I use the energizer lithium batteries with no issues in my MXT and PI machines... no issues :yes: been using them for years. I just watch for them to go on sale.. last year Walgreens had a special offer where they were under $7.00 for 8 batteries and I bought quite a few packs...

Back
Top Bottom