At last! 200th Silver Coin found this year... lots of pics

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Am grateful and I am blessed to have found many good coins, tokens, and oddities this year!

It sure took a while to get the last 10 shiny silvers to put me up at 200 for the year. Seemed like the Wheat Pennies had taken over, and a few of the hunts in the last 10 days had nothing but wheaties plus other items.

Last nite, in Missoula, a friend (uses a Nox 800) and I had secured permission at 6 different yards, and the afternoon started out just like the last few hunts... wheaties wheaties and more wheaties. I was sure wondering if I had forgotten how to find silver with my AT Pro, but then I realized you can't find something if it is not there. At a really nice yard, a gentleman came out and was curious about what we were doing in the neighbor's yard, and after a pleasant visit, invited us to check his front yard areas. My second target was a 1941 Mercury Dime! My detecting buddy came over to congratulate me and the last pics are views of that find.

Here is the story behind each pic...

1. Coming back from a trip to Idaho, my wife and I stopped in Missoula, got permission to hunt a ca 1915 home. Two silvers there (dime and quarter), plus a couple of cool military buttons, a Ford V8 token, and other goodies.

2. Missoula yard hunt produced three silver dimes, a couple of rings, and more wheat pennies.

3. Yard hunt in Missoula produced two Silver War nickels and a gorgeous 1907-S Barber dime, almost looks mint, so perhaps XF-AU, a nice coin!

4. Detected a church camp established in 1947 up on Flathead Lake. Found a lot of crosses and jewelry, all copper, probably made there as craft projects. One silver war nickel was all the shiny found. The camp definitely had been detected before.

5. Several yards in my town produced my first Skeleton Key! and a silver Merc and War nickel.

6. Another local dig produced a Sterling Ring, and a cool Clad Quarter that had been shot, probably with a .22!

7. A couple of pics... I put all my better finds into protective 2x2 holders, then in an album to enjoy during the winter. Each holder is marked with the date of the coin, the date found, and generally where it was found.

Yesterday's hunt produced the 200th silver for the year. Just a note, this thread is meant to encourage, there are really TONS of good finds just waiting out there. Happy Hunting to everyone on the Friendly Forum!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 282
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 231
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 235
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 239
  • coin8.jpg
    coin8.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 229
  • coin12.jpg
    coin12.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 237
  • coin11.jpg
    coin11.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 232
  • coin10.jpg
    coin10.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 238
  • coins12.jpg
    coins12.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 233
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 236
  • coins144.jpg
    coins144.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 236
  • coins122.jpg
    coins122.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Congrats on your milestone! Heck of an accomplishment. I think I'm probably somewhere around 33 silvers for the year. Lord willing, I'd like to hit 50 by the end of the year.

And that Barber is stunning!

Consider I've found ONE silver coin in over 3 years.......

You are in a mine field!!

Thanks Sage, they are out there for you! Location is SO IMPORTANT to find silver, as most parks, school yards, and ball fields have been hammered for the last 50 years.

Good play-by-play. Excellent high-def. pix. And very catching passion ! Great post. A golfer's "hole in one". This is what it's all about :cool:

Wow, that is a really nice Barber dime.

I found my 2nd silver ever yesterday, a 1907 Barber dime at a local park.
A good bit worn like your other Barber.

Great job on all your finds.

WOW, outstanding. Especially like the ring that appears to have a hinged secret compartment.

Attachments

• Secret compartment ring.jpg
    Secret compartment ring.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 204
Thanks Tom, appreciate the kind words! None of those East Coast Spanish Silvers or Large Cents laying everywhere, so I've got to chase the shiny stuff found here!

Thanks tbw! and yes, the top is hinged, I think these were called "poison rings" or they may have held an antidote to poison. This one is fairly modern, but still cool!

thanks woodbutcher! yeah, this is my second year with the AT Pro, I have learned a lot more this year on what the detector is telling me and have made more and better finds as a result. For a "dinosaur" of a machine, it still seems to do a good job!

That is one heck of a milestone to achieve even hunting yards,very tough to do! And that’s a really good assortment of coins,rings,tokens and the RR key is a great find too! How often do you get out? It seems with the mosquitos around here people have been held back just because nobody likes to hunt with those miserable things around. Once we get a hard frost then everyone will be back in action...
Great pics and hunting,well done!

Congratulations on hitting that 200 silver milestone!:thumbsup: You've worked hard to get it. Asking permission to hunt on a strangers property helps alot. Some people will never ask or are afraid too. The worst a home or property owner can say is no.;) There's still three months plus to detect, Keep swinging!:yes:

Thanks IDXMonster! We have about 4 months of winter here in western Montana, pretty much mid November thru early March where the ground is usually frozen up hard. For the rest of the year, I try and get out for a solid days' hunt about 2-3 times a week. On some days I stay local and just try to get a permission at a single yard, as I still work part time to make ends meet. Of course, sometimes "life" gets in the way and I can't detect for a week or so!

Thanks pinheadken! You are right about asking for permission at private property. It can be daunting to some folks, but thankfully I don't have a fear of rejection as the homeowner can only say "no" and there are probably 50-100 million homes to hunt at in this country, along with curb strips, farm fields, and other private locations.

Back
Top Bottom