Coil cable woes.

Chipk

Elite Member
My Sovereign XL is fading away and they no longer offer parts nor service for it.

Rats. Fine, fine beach machine.

A buddy of mine lives 6 hours away and he owned a Sovereign Elite and had. Briefly discussed selling it a year ago. I asked again and he said yes. He shipped it and it arrived yesterday.

I opened the box and was a bit shocked. My older machine looked newer than his but no problem. I figured between the 2 I could make a working Frankendetector. It won’t be pretty (butt ugly will be quite accurate) but it should still do a great job on the beaches.

My problem is his coil is better than mine BUT all of the protective sheath around the coil wires is literally falling apart. At first I thought it was only a small strip and a liberal coating of liquid electrical tape was applied. But quickly I saw I have a pinky in the hole in the dike and leaks are sprouting everywhere.

Other than buying a new coil or buying a case of electrical tape, are there any options?

If your an expert at applying shrink wrap that may be an option . I've been wondering when I would see someone posting about the coil wire sheathing falling off on some of the earlier Minelabs .I bought a used Explorer 2 several years back and the sheathing on the stock coil , the 8'' coil and even the car charger was coming off . I sold all three to a guy that was willing to tape and fix them as I didn't have the ambition or the time to deal with them for $50.00 ( it cost me a little over $20.00 to ship them) .
He was happy with them and said that believe it or not he had seen a lot in even worse condition .

Now I've lost 1/4 of the pixels on my Explorer 2 screen and Minelab has used up all their spare parts so it can't be repaired .

Never had that problem with my White's , Tesoro or First Texas coils .

I think I'm going to pass on getting one of the new "Malasian Marvels" no matter how good they are .Best of luck to you on this issue Sir .

Back
Top Bottom