Paying for gas with silver???

blkcloud

I was at my local pawn shop the other day picking up a new trap gun I had ordered.. A girl walks wanting to sell 3 silver dollars.. She works at a convience store and someone pulled up to the pump, got 3 dollars worth of gas and paid with the silver dollars... she put 3 dollars in the cash register and kept the silver..:lol:

I was at the Gas station recently and someone did the same thing..Piad part of his bill with a walking liberty..I was a millisecond too slow because the guy in fornt of me snagged it up for face value! DOHH!!!

Amazes me that someone wouldn't think that maybe even just becasue its age it would be worth more but Silver looks different then clad.

Bought up the 5 rolls of halves at the bank yesterday in hopes of a lucky find but nadda.

Keep your eyes open..ya never know when silver will show up.

I worked in a store for several years and people paid with coins from everywhere. I will take a photo and add to this post.

I was at my local pawn shop the other day picking up a new trap gun I had ordered.. A girl walks wanting to sell 3 silver dollars.. She works at a convience store and someone pulled up to the pump, got 3 dollars worth of gas and paid with the silver dollars... she put 3 dollars in the cash register and kept the silver..:lol:

She was smart enough to keep the 3 silver dollars, but yet she took them to a pawn shop to sell them?

I believe much of the old silver is put back into circulation is due to theft. I took a lot of burglary reports where old coins were taken.

On the other hand, why wouldn't they try to get melt value for it? It's not like silver coins are traceable. Lots of people are clueless that coins were ever silver, only people over 40 (50?) have any memory of silver coins in everyday change.

Desperation?

I suspect that ignorance plays a part in the use of old coins and old currency for daily needs. Possibly much of the silver is spent to avoid questions at a coin shop or pawn shop, but I suspect that a lot of it is folks at the end of their rope. As the economy continues to

John Morton

The vending machine where my wife used to work was giving out silver quarters for change one day. She bought candy at $1.25 to get 3 quarters in change until it stopped handing out the silver. She came away with 7 of them for around $5, including the first thing she bought.

my sis-in-law use to work at a bank, and the local McDonalds would come in a deposit their money. Every month or so there would be morgans or peace dollars in there... I cant believe it would even make it that far! theres 2 dumb people if the folks at McD's didnt snatch that up!

She also had a lady come in with Confederate money and wanted to cash it in. She gave her face value from her wallet :D

Newbie here and haven't found anything yet but where would someone go to unload silver coins? a coin dealer or pawn or jewlery store?

Never take coins to a pawn shop. They will rob you blind. A dealer can be a good source if they are honest and fair. Learn the market and sell on craigslist. That's where you will get the best price. You may try some forum classifieds as well. Fleabay ....I mean eBay will take a big chunk of your proceeds. :(

G2M

My sister put my father in a care home. I found out later that he was spending silver dollars that he had saved because he didn't have anything else.

Worked at a liquor store 20 years ago. Opened a roll of pennies for change only to discover the entire roll were steel 1943 wheaties. I figure this stuff happens when old people pass and their greedy kids find money and have no idea what it's true value is and simply spend/cash it in.

My sister put my father in a care home. I found out later that he was spending silver dollars that he had saved because he didn't have anything else.

My wifes grandfather was hard up for gas money one day and spent $40 in old 1964 $2 bills... then gave me the last one he had left... I told him I would have given him cash for them, but its was too late... Sad :(

Most of the people that buy using old silver, I'm talking halves mostly, are older do so because they grew up with them. to them it's just money. However, most people who spend with silver dimes, even mercury's, just think they're odd coins and do so as if they're just a dime.

Back
Top Bottom