Aka Sorex Pro (initial thoughts)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Got this detector real early this morning.

Played with it practically on and off all day.

Overall I am very pleased with this detector for what it costs me new.

Audio it possesses,,,,BEST I've heard to date.

I consider this an easy detector to learn tone wise,,,extremely gentle on the ears and noggin---- you won't get a headache using it even in the worst nail pits.

Overall feel
I only got the stock coil-- measures 11.5" outside to outside diameter (7khz)
A bit nose heavy with this coil,,,but not overly uncomfortable,,,,a smaller coil should make this thing feel perfect balance and weight wise.

Probably one of the easier to assemble too.

No shortcuts it looks were took with coil structure either--- looks and feels durable.

I did hunt a little in a place I know very well-- loads of iron and nails.
Machine seems to handle iron and nails-- I rate above average,,,not much falsing,,,and I have ran every other detector I have or have had here.
I ran it hot in the site as well.

Actually found 3 targets deemed high(Ed) conductors.

Did get fooled once,,turned out to be a nail with 45 degree bend in it,,,,but even with my limited experience with detector,,,I felt I was aready pushing the detector settings wise in this site--- yet I had very good confidence to dig or not based on tone/indications.

Very worthy detector for price.
Pretty deep too.

Did 2 test on freshly buried clad dime.
9" deep dime-- super signal (TID locked 81-82 steady),,, could actually get this target with economy on,,TID bouncy though
10" deep dime-- bordeline,,,a person had better be on their game,,TID read high, but would read somewhat lower at times. Couldn't get this target in economy power setting.

These were freshly buried,,soil wet,,no standing water.
Remember my soil not the gentlest mineral wise,,,,here where I tested a weak 4bars on F75 detector.
Even compared Deus with 11" coil on these 2 targets at depth.
9" deep dime,,Deus whimpered,,,10" deep dime,,no cigar,,nothing to even think about- used all logical settings including varied freqs.

The way the audio flows and reports on this detector is GRAND.
I suspect with a smaller coil,,,even at 7khz or 14kh!,,this baby would be a great modern trash Hunter for higher conductors.

Ground balance process is not hard,,,for all my hunting and test,,,used a locked tracking GB.

Did manipulate the ground balance while detecting the buried dimes-- setting a tad lower didn't seem to hurt signal much,,,but raising ground phase number,,a No No based on what I witnessed.

Like the ability to go to economy power out vs non economy to check signals,,even an iron false.

Does have lighted display..

Did play with EMI filter setting a bit,,,I could definitely tell when I went to lowest setting,,,ran mostly at level 3-4.
Power lines running on 3 sides of me in site.

Need to put some more time in with it,,,,but like very much what I see and hear.

This Vlf detector,,to me tone wise has the closet thing to the silver squeal signal,,,the explorers are famed for.

Based on what I have witnessed so far,,,would I feel outgunned using this detector with some buds hunting say homesite, park,,turf??? Nope

You definitely won't be digging any 22 hulls,,at least with my setup coil wise.

May try a signum,,,if it is any better,,oh boy.

I should also say,,,the tone(s) this baby gives,,,,you won't have any trouble hearing a good tone,,,,they stand out very well.
Even running open screen no disc,,,with iron vol turned down,,,,extremely pleasing to the ears.

Not raspy,,of zippy do dah or anything like that.

More later
I know some folks who frequent this forum have used a sorex or one of its relative detectors.

Forgot to say,,this baby has a hot pinpoint (is adjustable)
And if you have a metal shovel,,,better watch how you carry while using this detector,,,never have seen a Vlf pick my shovel up like this thing does,,,my GPX does,,but nothing else I have ran Vlf wise acts like this detector.

Pretty interesting and thanks for your evaluation! I see some of the coil options for frequency go down to 3khz :?:, you think that would that mainly be for relic hunting to hit on iron harder?

Pretty interesting and thanks for your evaluation! I see some of the coil options for frequency go down to 3khz :?:, you think that would that mainly be for relic hunting to hit on iron harder?

The lower freq coils,,,hit the bigger higher conductor coins better/deeper.
Also seem to handle higher/highest mineralized soil best.

I haven't run a 3khz coil.

Got this detector real early this morning.
10" deep dime-- bordeline,,,a person had better be on their game,,TID read high, but would read somewhat lower at times. Couldn't get this target in economy power setting.
With economy mode switched on, detectorist is able to add more Gain and/or Sensitivity. Gain means depth in most of the cases.

This Vlf detector,,to me tone wise has the closet thing to the silver squeal signal,,,the explorers are famed for.
If you tried PTS sound scheme (polyphony), it sounds equally to Minelab Explorer 2's. However RT-ST sound scheme is supposed to be used for extra deep targets (when ST is almost or no heard). Small short RT without ST could mean an extra deep target.

I have been reading a lot of your posts,,,on aka forum.

Thanks for all your help.
Actually Economy mode as well as turbo mode (Signum family) should be used wisely.

Personally I don't switch economy mode on at light/extra light grounds even with large 13"@18 kHz coil, but economy on at trashy site is a must. Every time you run into hash conditions (conductive, mineralized, conductive and mineralized grounds, trashy site) economy is a first tool you should start with.

I cannot add ton of info in a single post, check some threads dealing with Economy Mode, and decide how to use this tool

No intention of hijacking your post TNSS but just wanted to say a little about the Sorex and did not want to start a duplicate thread.
I really am impressed with this detector so far.
I would rather see it with a Mars style rod assembly (ala Deus) but the furnished assembly does the job.
Had a little difficulty at first finding all the menus and settings as some are available in one mode but not another. Once I read through the manual I downloaded (detector are not supplied with a manual) a few times with the unit right in front of me I was able to navigate all the menus and setting with ease.
I love the PST (polyphony tone) that SuchMuch speaks of, not for every occasion but like many of the settings, good for particular situations. Ground balance was much easier than I expected but then again NY soil is pretty tame coming in at -4% on the Sorex Pro.
Response is machine gun fast in MM mode. Pin points very well.
I only have a few hours on the machine but plan on taking it out as much as this North east weather will allow.
I look forward to sharing information back and forth with you TNSS and I know SuchMuch will be sharing more info with us all.

Choppadude,when I bought my signum it came with a manual,and it was stamped and signed by Igor as the seller,with the date and a seal.without the date and seal its warranty is worthless,kinda like the original receipt for makro.Im just wondering why you didn't get a written manual,I know you said you got one downloaded so that's just as good for the reading part.
I know I read mine 10 times before I understood,mm,short time and real time,..That's definitely a good machine,,good luck!

Choppa,
I look at this thread and forum like this::

As far as this detector,,,the more info and exchange of ideas the merrier.

I think this is worthy info to post.

Folks who get their Sorex detectors,,,probably best to go ahead when you are outside,,,to do a coil matchup iniation,,,,after you do this you will ground balance.

What this will do,,,is give you a zero phase readout,,,,then you will have a reference for manual GBalancing for future use.

I think mine was balancing in a field behind my house at phase 10 yesterday on its maiden voyage,,,now it balances at 0 or sometimes 1.

Also,,,seems the manufacturer,,recommends this matchup even if you switch coils that are same freq.

Question for SuchSuch,,,may be a dumb question.

Tracking ground balance if ON,,,works in both auto ground balance and manual right???

Ran my unit today in tracking GB,,, in auto GB setting,,,I would go peek occassionally to see where the ground phase reference was,,,,seemed to be staying real close to actual numbers even when balancing.

Great review! I love reading reviews like this. If I ever upgrade, I'll keep the AKA brand in mind.

Back
Top Bottom