Underwater ROV ideas anyone???

30U Plymouth

Elite Member
I don't get on much lately....mainly because I'm so busy finding that gold & silver.
Hager & I hit the water most of the time and don't go land hunting much.
I guess we just like gold better than silver...lol.

We have a hookah setup so we can get underwater and hunt for the gold, but I'm working on building an underwater metal detector that can be controlled from a boat (ROV).

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before?
Any ideas are also welcome.

I will post pictures later.

Last edited:
My current project...

This is my current project...

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 594
This is my current project...

Wow that is interesting but I have to admit, I am skeptical on how this is going to perform very well without being able to swing naturally especially when coming across those deeper, more faint tones. Plus how will it be practical when it comes time to dig for a target? Will you be right there or will be sitting on the boat while this runs?
Lastly, has there been any issues with interference from the ROV? I wonder if that could be an issue.

Wow that is interesting but I have to admit, I am skeptical on how this is going to perform very well without being able to swing naturally especially when coming across those deeper, more faint tones. Plus how will it be practical when it comes time to dig for a target? Will you be right there or will be sitting on the boat while this runs?
Lastly, has there been any issues with interference from the ROV? I wonder if that could be an issue.

I have all this worked out, pm me for investment oppertunity.:D

I plan to use a joystick to swing the detector with speed of swing controlled by a reosteat. A water pump will be used to blow away the soil/gravel from that ever is found. I will also have a grabbing arm to get the target.
The plan is to be able to find items of value in deeper water. I currently have a ring to find that has a $2000 reward that is in about 50 feet of water.

I guess I'll spill the beans but this stays here.
You could have the coil rotate from a center motor in a radius. Think weed wacker but much slower. To recover targets I would use some kind of vacume system. If you use my ideas and make it to market I only ask for 15% of profit. Lol
This can be done properly but wont be an overnight project. I may have other ideas if you need any inspiration or brainstorming.

I guess I'll spill the beans but this stays here.
You could have the coil rotate from a center motor in a radius. Think weed wacker but much slower. To recover targets I would use some kind of vacume system. If you use my ideas and make it to market I only ask for 15% of profit. Lol
This can be done properly but wont be an overnight project. I may have other ideas if you need any inspiration or brainstorming.

Interesting idea about rotating the coil. How would you keep the cord from twisting?

I plan to use a joystick to swing the detector with speed of swing controlled by a reosteat. A water pump will be used to blow away the soil/gravel from that ever is found. I will also have a grabbing arm to get the target.
The plan is to be able to find items of value in deeper water. I currently have a ring to find that has a $2000 reward that is in about 50 feet of water.

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but me-thinks-you're-dreaming. The contraption would wiggle around, drift, etc.... You'd have no way to "stay on target". I don't think it's practical.

Only 50 feet? You would spend many times the value of that ring to build what you are talking about. I can dive, I'll split it with you. :yes:

You don't think wheels would help with that?

Here's what I think you're going to conclude, if/when you are done with all of that: It will simply be easier to hooka or scuba. JMHO. The amount of time & strategy to make a home-made robot, is just going to drive you bonkers.

One time, we were trying to help the police locate a ditched revolver, than had been thrown into shallow waters of a muddy slough. We hatched the "genius idea" that we could float around in a boat, and use detector coils, lowered down from the life-boat dingy, @ extended rods (water 3 to 4 ft. deep?) and just listen for beeps. And then we had long handled sandscoops, and could just effortlessy scoop, from the safety of the raft, wherever the beeps occurred ? Genius idea, eh ?

But any time we got a "beep" and attempted to "x-marks the spot", we were totally at the whims of the drifting boat. So we try to use rods to hold the boat steady, but it takes anchoring from all 4 directions. And then the moment you try to scoop, you're just pushing the target around, and have zero ability to know if you're scooping in the place you just heard the beep.

Even underwater hooka and scuba had issues (despite their ability to "anchor" themselves on the bottom , and have two limber hands/arms). Namely: Sediments kick up, clouding visibility, the minute you try to dig anything. This would just be exasperated with home-made robot efforts.

Your thingy reminds me of the deep sea robots that they use to explore the Titanic, for instance. But on a hobbyist scale. Those guys are spending MILLIONS of dollars. And trust me: As easy as it might look on the Discovery channel, those are only the "bass-fishing moments" (where every cast is a lunker). I'll bet you it's a pain-in-the-@ss, even with millions of dollars of research and design and plans.

I give the man props for getting THAT far! It must be important work,he sacrificed the damn ping pong table for it!
I telz ya wut....if he succeeds in making a unit that will float an Xcal around and find treasure SMOOTHLY,RELIABLY and EFFECTIVELY....he will be making more than one...and that lunker Tom was talking about will have something to talk about around the seaweed.

The reward isn't worth the time. In that deep of water they have no idea where it is or how far down in the muck it is. Lost cause

Well, being a bit of an ROV pilot, I'll have to say good luck with that kind of a project.
Besides the issue of getting everything totally water tight and able to withstand the pressure, you've also got quite a few other things to overcome. Just finding a target is one thing but then to be able to pin point it to a certain extent and then dig it and finally, the ability to actually recover it (pick it up!)
The action of just trying to swing a coil in would be a challenge. Water gives a lot of resistance, your ROV would have to work hard just to counter that. Same goes for digging your target. Even if you did have wheels and somewhat planted your machine on the bottom, you'll still get some movement. But then there's another problem..... sediment! You'll get it stirred up so bad that you'll never be able to see what your detector found.

Pete

I found a nest of 6 baby cormorants this Spring! A dim lightbulb in my head went off...I had a brilliant idea! 'Self propelled ROV's.!' So I raided the nest and took them all home with me.....

I've been working with them all Summer to train them to dive and find me GOLD rings! They love to dive and hunt! I 'pay' them a minnow for each successful recovery! Just like a Yangtse River Fisherman!

So far the theory is correct, promising results, No gold yet though...the problem seems to be they lack the ability to distinguish pulltabs! :mad:..:laughing:

They make a hell of a mess and racket around the house too...Wife is not liking this and wants me to release them into the Wild...What? After all this time and investment? Plus, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the Inlaws are showing up again...I could save $30 on a turkey!! :laughing:

You don't think wheels would help with that?

:laughing:..
I think there is a very good chance you wont be able to get it to perform well in a pool, nevermind in the water with current and tons of things to get snagged on.
Better off sticking a coil on a 20ft long shaft and detect from the boat or canoe. Then drop a rock with a float on it to mark any targets that are %99 likely to be worthwhile. I had about an 8ft 1 before. But that was to keep the tdi way out of the water

Back
Top Bottom