Last 3 hunts...Coin count low, frustration level high

Ron 71

Forum Supporter
The last two weekends now have been a total bust for me. Starting on Sat. the 13th I had some things to do in the morning so no hunting and most public spaces get crowded early here but around 3pm I decided to try and find some open space, my third stop was an empty ball field, I get geared up and by the time I could find 3 copper pennies the cars started to pour in the parking lot. Oh well I think time to head home and get a good hunt in on Sun. I ended up forgetting to put my Equinox away and left it in my car, temps were in the mid 30s overnite and when I get to the spot I'm going to hunt just before dawn about 10 or 12 miles from home the Nox starts going bonkers, I did everything I could think of to get it to stop, reconnected the coil wire, noise cancel, factory reset 3 times nothing worked. Later that afternoon when the machine and outside temps were nice and warm I tried it on my front lawn, worked perfectly so I figured it must be super sensitive to the temperature. Well this Sat. was no different, chores to do so no morning hunt,I went out again for a quick afternoon hunt to a small patch of woods behind an elementary school a few miles from home, Equinox was working well but on my third target I had a bee buzzing my pointer, I flipped over an inch of topsoil saw the rusty beer cap I was digging and noticed another bee was buzzing my detector, in the next second or two I had two of them on my shirt and quickly got up and ran a few yards uphill. While brushing off the ones on my shirt another one stung me on my side just above my belt, well that had me running further uphill, when I stopped and looked back at where my gear was (now about 50 yards away) I couldn't see the control box on my detector it just looked like a big blurry spot, hundreds of bees swarming my gear :shock: I had to wait there for over an hour before they calmed down enough to attempt retrieving my stuff.... SCARY! Well today I was able to get out just before dawn again and after about 15 mins. of running fine the Nox went bonkers again, same result, couldn't get it working again. :mad: Sorry for the long rant, hope it made you feel a little better about your weekend hunt. :grin:

Well Bummer! In Prime time even! Perfect morning here, Overcast and mid 30's....But Two of the 3 stadiums I stopped at this morning were locked up tight!:mad:

I could see through the fence nice fresh Q's laying there just out of reach! The one I did get into and hunt, I loaded up with $6 bucks fresh clad, $4 in empty cans, a nice new XXL Nike Hoodie, and also found a paper dollar bill along the fence...so yeah..a little triumph there...

I've also been wondering how the NOX will handle cold? A guy might need to stick a HotHands Toe warmer onto the brain box maybe? One stuck on the grip makes for a comfortable cold weather hunt...Get yourself some HotHands Toe warmers!...they have the sticky pad on them unlike the HotHands packs...They work just as well inside a glove or even stuck down to the top of your head!

Great post though Ron! A guy never knows what adventure (good or bad) may await a fellow once he leaves the house! :laughing: On the bright side, Those bees should be about gone for the rest of the year though...

Attachments

• hot hands.jpg
    hot hands.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 127
  • hot hands1.jpg
    hot hands1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 121
Well Bummer! In Prime time even! Perfect morning here, Overcast and mid 30's....But Two of the 3 stadiums I stopped at this morning were locked up tight!:mad:

I could see through the fence nice fresh Q's laying there just out of reach! The one I did get into and hunt, I loaded up with $6 bucks fresh clad, $4 in empty cans, a nice new XXL Nike Hoodie, and also found a paper dollar bill along the fence...so yeah..a little triumph there...

I've also been wondering how the NOX will handle cold? A guy might need to stick a HotHands Toe warmer onto the brain box maybe? One stuck on the grip makes for a comfortable cold weather hunt...Get yourself some HotHands Toe warmers!...they have the sticky pad on them unlike the HotHands packs...They work just as well inside a glove or even stuck down to the top of your head!

Great post though Ron! A guy never knows what adventure (good or bad) may await a fellow once he leaves the house! :laughing: On the bright side, Those bees should be about gone for the rest of the year though...

Thanks Mud! After two blown weekends and a malfunctioning detector I still feel very lucky those bees didn't get me, I stepped on a in ground nest when I was 6 and got stung from head to toe, A month earlier when it was still hot I may not have been as lucky.
Btw.. I used the hot hands last year and they work great, I'll have to try the toe warmers.

Thanks for your post. It makes me feel better about my bad hunts! Don't be too down on yourself. It's the bad hunts that make the good ones feel that much sweeter!

That's a bummer. I hope you get your nox working correctly again. You might want to call Minelab.

WOW !! You certainly had a streak of bad luck. I'm going out shortly to finish my local football stadium as they had their last home game Friday night. It's 41 deg. here so I'll see if my Nox 800 acts up like yours ?? I have never hunted with mine when it was cold. HH & GL.

Back
Top Bottom