• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Diy coin probe question

wwbob

Has anyone used an aluminum knitting needle to make a coin probe? I find these at the second hand stores for cheap. I like to build my tools instead of buying them already built.

I dont think it would hold up for long...not if you really use it a lot like I do...In fact, a cheap thin 6-8" shaft screwdriver is my primary tool so it gets a LOT of use...

I like the hard plastic handle, it transmits more of a signal to me when I feel around for something...You can tell a rock or piece of glass from a coin just by the feel of it...It quickly sharpens itself into a point just by sticking it into the ground all the time...

Attachments

• pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 395
What Mud said: long thin screwdriver is my best probe. With practice you get a feel for what it's touching. And no, I don't scratch coins with it. For shallow coins it great, you don't even need to dig- great on nice lawns.

What Mud said: long thin screwdriver is my best probe. With practice you get a feel for what it's touching. And no, I don't scratch coins with it. For shallow coins it great, you don't even need to dig- great on nice lawns.

Thats Right Junkminer! The OP is likely to hear all sorts of chatter like, "I dont want to damage a key date" or things like that, but year after year, we see all sorts of badly scarred key dates hit with a trowel! Ruined completely! You will never see a 'screwdriver stabbed coin' as badly damaged as some of these! in fact, I cant remember any posted...just saying...get good with a driver and stab away...you can tell right quick when you are on a coin...
Mud

I have been using a probe that I made using a piece of brass brazing rod for years. Being brass it doesn't scratch a coin like a steel screwdriver. I posted how to make one not long after I first joined the forum. Look up 'Easy Coin Probe' in the Search section.
Easy Coin Probe.gif

Back
Top Bottom