Where to find Liberty coins

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
So for 2019, I have a very small list of "goals" I want to hit. I want to find $100 in clad, at least 3 silver coins, 1 more ring (for a total of 3) but most of all I want to find a Walking Liberty! I found an Eisenhower Bicentennial dollar which was awesome, but I REALLY want to find a Liberty! Where are some of the places you guys have hunted that you've come across some of those beautiful coins?!

Looks like old homes it is! Im trying to get a permission on an old abandoned house thats been around for more than 50 years. No one lives there and its been empty for a long long time. It's still buried in snow at the moment but Im gonna go talk to the neighbors and see if they know how to get in touch with the previous owners. Hopefully we find some epic finds, but a Liberty is definitely on the top of my want's list

I got lucky enough to find mine in a older park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found one in an 1830's house yard about 20ft away from a 1778 1/2 reale.

Old houses.
Old houses.
Old houses.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

The general consensus here is OLD! So, back to the maps, knock on a few doors and hopefully I pull up some old coins!!

I probably found 100 silver coins before my first Walker. Sometimes it happens like that. Try to hunt permissions or little known areas. It’s hard to find big silver in well-known, public locations. Even old detectors could nail a silver half at 7 inches.

Walkers are beutiful. They are by far the most common silver half to find with a metal detector . Stay on any dirt pre 65 .
I also love the older ball fields .
They can be anywhere .
Good luck .
,Dew

Your post made me curious so I check my records.

I've found a total of (7) Walking Half's and all were found in the yards of old houses.

We don't have many old Parks's in my area but I'm sure it's a good place to look.

Because they are so easy to see when they are dropped -
I always thought that a good number of the Half Dollar and Dollar coins we find in our part of the country could have be lost when there was snow on the ground.

If the property is abandoned for that long, and nothing is posted, I would just go hunt it. I never ask when I hit an abandoned / foreclosed property if its not posted.

I've actually never found one, I have some theorys why the most seem to be found on private property. Most of the larger coins have to have some suspension abilities due to the larger surface area. While the dimes are many times found at varying depths depending on the soils, but the larger coins I've dug or seen dug, just don't seem to be that deep.

Combined larger shallow silver in parks with early consumer detectors of the 70's and 80's, and that makes for easy targets. So it's not that more were dropped in yards, just those larger shallow coins could have been found with a kids bounty hunter junior.

I’ve found over a dozen walkers, most in front yards.
Others I have found in old fairgrounds and parks.

So for 2019, I have a very small list of "goals" I want to hit. I want to find $100 in clad, at least 3 silver coins, 1 more ring (for a total of 3) but most of all I want to find a Walking Liberty! I found an Eisenhower Bicentennial dollar which was awesome, but I REALLY want to find a Liberty! Where are some of the places you guys have hunted that you've come across some of those beautiful coins?!

A walking Liberty is high on my wish list! Been hoping for one for years. I'm glad you asked this question, because there seems to be some patterns in the answers.
I will race you to see who finds one first. Ready? Set? Go!

A walking Liberty is high on my wish list! Been hoping for one for years. I'm glad you asked this question, because there seems to be some patterns in the answers.
I will race you to see who finds one first. Ready? Set? Go!

haha Your'e on!! Im heded out here in a little bit to a couple places that have been around since 1906, so Hopefully today is the day!!

Every half dollar coin I've found less one was in a elementary school yard or field next to it. I did find 1 BF Half in a older park ball field.

Back
Top Bottom