Hello from Southern California

poker

Hello! I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the wonderful finds. I would love to find and start a collection of really old coins. Finding jewelry I'm sure would also be exciting.

Also, anything that will make me walk for along time without me thinking I'm exercising is important to me. Is this a reason some people start MD'ing?

In my case, I go camping lot and some time explore the old mining sites in Death Valley area. Would this be a good area to MD? Or maybe they've been dried up by others already.

I go places with my 4x4 community and I think MD'ing activities would complement the experience. Yeah?

It will certainly help keep you fit, or fitt`n you up. It sounds like a good idea to have out in the field when your not 4X`ing you can explore a bit.
Just look out for snakes:lol:
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the Welcome.

I'm heading out to Alabama Hills near Bishop, CA tomorrow. Might buy a MD tonight or tomorrow morning for the weekend. I don't have time to research a lot so I may have to return it after learning more. 'Bounty Hunter' seems readily available at local sporting goods stores.

I hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

These are some of the places I've been to in the California desert. I'm not sure if this is a real questions but when you see a place like this what would you set your MD to look for? Again....excuse the question if it doesn't make sense.

dv2small164.jpg

dv2small196.jpg

dv2small072.jpg

FJCruiserMojave07_s1_071022_030.jpg

Greetings from sunny Arizona....

Welcome to the forum! As a young man I was stationed at NAF China Lake, and although I did not have a metal detector at that time, I did go out exploring in the desert. Looking back, there were many places that I would like hunt. I think that there are many great hunting locations in that area.....

HH & Good Luck, Dave.............

These are some of the places I've been to in the California desert. I'm not sure if this is a real questions but when you see a place like this what would you set your MD to look for? Again....excuse the question if it doesn't make sense.

dv2small164.jpg

dv2small196.jpg

dv2small072.jpg

FJCruiserMojave07_s1_071022_030.jpg

There are two kinds of detectors I would use there. If the area has gold deposits I would use a detector specifically designed for gold nuggets.
If I had just a regular detector I would set the discrimination to cancel out iron and expect allot of steel and iron object to come through even with the setting over iron.
It is a neat looking place but I can allmost smell the steel and iron in the pics:lol: But anyplace is worth a try, you just never know.

Welcome aboard Poker.... if you are doing old gold mines, you should have a gold detector - i.e. White's GMT or TDI. If hunting old camps for coins, a regular MD will do the trick. HH RickO

Poker, never assume a site is "dried up". Hunt it like it's virgin territory and you'll probably get the most out of it.

Welcome to the forum from Southeast Michigan.

HH - Ed

Thanks for the welcome and the great advice!

I'm trying to get a MD before I leave in 5 hours. The more I read the more excited I get about finding my first wheatie :D

Back
Top Bottom