• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

more problems with the equinox 800

zeemang

Forum Supporter
This machine was replaced about 2 months ago because the first one flooded. Anyway, i was hunting in the ocean, waist deep more or less, and i noticed the audio got more and more faint and scratchy. It got to the point that looking at the screen you could see it was detecting things but gave zero audio response. I unplugged the headphones several times, blew them out to make sure it was not water and plugged them back in, same thing. Even with the headphones unplugged the audio is messed up, some audio, scratchy noise and it cuts off...
Oh the joys of a first year production model!
I am contacting my dealer here trying to see what they will do for me, fingers crossed...

Bummer that sucks. And being outside of the US is a bigger headache. I never went back in the water with mine after flooding and replacing. Was hoping to shelf the cz-21 and use the Equinox straight through but seems like it'll be cz in the water and Equinox on wet slope. :(

Which headphones are you using?

Was hoping to shelf the cz-21 and use the Equinox straight through but seems like it'll be cz in the water and Equinox on wet slope.
Similarly, I prefer the 'Nox in the wet sand and the Excal in the water. Although it's rare for me to do a wet sand only hunt, when I know I'm going to be primarily in the wet sand I'll take the 'Nox. It's ability to go in the water is just a bonus for me which I take advantage of.

Sounds like no one uses there nox in the water full time. It just, let's say bothers me to be polite, that they market this as a salt water hunting machine and they give issue after issue when used like that!
Off to fedex!
Can't wait to get my hands on an excal...

Thought I was reading a Dewcon thread... he should be a tester for all water machines...

Sorry you are having issues with the Nox Zee...

That is exactly what mine did! Got the replacement pod but have yet to use it in the water. I'm a bit apprehensive now.

I think everything I've learned on the forums and from personal experience is that this is a great salt water machine. And marketed as such. Bottom line is , this is NOT an underwater machine. Much better machines out there for that. You would only be fooling yourself if you think this could handle constant underwater detecting.

Z

Sorry for your Equinox failure , i only use mine in the wet , and shallow water , just like the CTX3030 had some issue's with leaking , with a id screen detector's , don't know to many that have not had issues', Earl

that suks sorry to hear your having problems with the second 1 you have had replaced ive had mine under alot havent had any problems yet knock on wood

You are right Craig... got a little water in my MDT today....fresh water I believe when rinsing. I’m waiting for the AQ now.....I’ll give it a real test. So far.....broken coil, cuff, and shaft on the Nox. And.... 4 coils went south to repair my Xcal. How u feeling now Zee lol

You are right Craig... got a little water in my MDT today....fresh water I believe when rinsing. I’m waiting for the AQ now.....I’ll give it a real test. So far.....broken coil, cuff, and shaft on the Nox. And.... 4 coils went south to repair my Xcal. How u feeling now Zee lol

What makes me laugh is all the guys who sold their Excals or other water machines for a detector based on advertising. I have had 1 coil wire failure Dew.. I wrapped the coil wire too tightly around the shaft to make it pretty looking... no more its loosely wrapped... I could care less what it looks like :lol:

What makes me laugh is all the guys who sold their Excals or other water machines for a detector based on advertising. I have had 1 coil wire failure Dew.. I wrapped the coil wire too tightly around the shaft to make it pretty looking... no more its loosely wrapped... I could care less what it looks like :lol:
So true ! Nox is a great machine for me in the wet sand , and the cost is great. Plus I can use it on land. But is it better than an excal or a good pulse machine in the water ? NO WAY !

So true ! Nox is a great machine for me in the wet sand , and the cost is great. Plus I can use it on land. But is it better than an excal or a good pulse machine in the water ? NO WAY !

Don't tell the koolaid clan that :lol:

OK.... This thread is starting to scare me. I have brought the nox to the beach 3 times but have only gotten the head underwater for a few seconds at a pop because I do not have waterproof headphones yet. I use the wireless headphones so I only get thigh-deep, keeping the main unit out of the water, less a wave hits it.

My plan was to get a good set of waterproof headphone set for it so that I can use it in deeper water, but this thread has me thinking that this machine isn't all that it is said to be.

Is this the case? It can get wet but not a good machine to USE in the water?

OK.... This thread is starting to scare me. I have brought the nox to the beach 3 times but have only gotten the head underwater for a few seconds at a pop because I do not have waterproof headphones yet. I use the wireless headphones so I only get thigh-deep, keeping the main unit out of the water, less a wave hits it.

My plan was to get a good set of waterproof headphone set for it so that I can use it in deeper water, but this thread has me thinking that this machine isn't all that it is said to be.

Is this the case? It can get wet but not a good machine to USE in the water?
I have used it plenty of times underwater with no issues. It is not my "go to" machine for a pure water hunt but I have no reservations of dunking it in my combo wet sand & water hunts. There is also one very trashy beach that I prefer it in the water over the Excal.

GreenMeanie, nope, the volume just got lower and lower until i heard zero and could look at the screen and see the machine was detecting things but not sounding off.
dewcon, I feel your pain, those were pricey coils.
TNTGross, from my experience no, it's not all it is advertised to be. Excals are pricey, and they do not sell a machine cheaper which will compete.
Cfmct, totally agree. I only got it because my trusty old excal was finally beyond repair and at the time I didn't have a few grand laying around to pick up a new excal. I have a "new to me" excal coming soon and am very much looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom