All Civil War Relic Hunters Unite and Help This Kid

Waterhead

I know, I've been laying low for the last couple of years and not doing much relic hunting....or posting for that matter. What a shame, I live right here in south east Virginia and relic hunting was surpassed as car restoration took over. Fall is here and they're starting to cut corn so I'm ready to hunt.

Been using a Tesoro Cibola for years which I love. I actually ran circles around a couple of guys with Minelab Excalibur's. Anyhow, I'm starting to experience cable issues and false readings with my Cibola. I love this thing but heard Tesoro is going under so I'm not going to send it in for repair.

I'm looking at a Garrett AT Pro as a new detector but am up for all options, Is anyone on here using one of these machines? Feel free to chime in.

Much thanks,

John

I know, I've been laying low for the last couple of years and not doing much relic hunting....or posting for that matter. What a shame, I live right here in south east Virginia and relic hunting was surpassed as car restoration took over. Fall is here and they're starting to cut corn so I'm ready to hunt.

Been using a Tesoro Cibola for years which I love. I actually ran circles around a couple of guys with Minelab Excalibur's. Anyhow, I'm starting to experience cable issues and false readings with my Cibola. I love this thing but heard Tesoro is going under so I'm not going to send it in for repair.

I'm looking at a Garrett AT Pro as a new detector but am up for all options, Is anyone on here using one of these machines? Feel free to chime in.

Much thanks,

John
I've hunted with different detectors over the years and am currently using the At Max. I haven't used the At Pro but it seems to be a good detector. I've done well with the Max here in central Va. and even won Vaughn Garrett's Find of the Month contest using one. Many detectors are out there for your choosing. Good luck.

I do use the AT Pro and love it. It has found some amazing things. I will say I do not have any experience with other machines.

Hey John, I recently switched from an Ace 200 to the AT Pro. Besides being waterproof, the Pro has many advantages. As far as digital ID, its amazing. Its very accurate at identifying targets. It doesn't have a standard back-light, which I would like. Also, I've noticed issues with depth. Supposedly, the Pro should penetrate roughly 8" into the soil, according to Garrett. However, I rarely find targets that are deeper than 4". Bench testing confirmed this. I can usually squeeze 2 more inches in depth out of it if I crank the sensitivity all the way up. Of course, that creates other issues as you well know. But in low trash areas, it can make all the difference. I've contacted the guy who sold me the Pro and also Garrett. He claims this is completely normal and that there's nothing wrong with the machine. However, I upgraded to the Pro specifically because I wasn't finding any Silver, and I was told the Pro would find it. However, I've had it for 2 months and still haven't found any silver, when I know I'm in an area that is holding silver coins. Honestly, its not any better at finding silver than my 200 was. I'm guessing its because of the lack of soil penetration. Also, I'm not impressed with the Pin-Point feature. It doesn't seem to be as accurate as I would like. Overall, I think the Pro is an excellent machine for basic hunting, but if your looking for the good stuff down deep, I would look into other machines. If you have any questions, let me know.

Mike

Waterhead, good to know of a fellow detectorist in the area. I live off of pitchkettle road. I have spent a few hours just down the road and have recovered almost 2 dozen minie balls, a buckle and button.

I am hoping to find some places that may hold more relic finds, as what I have found has taken about 20 hours.

Once they start cutting the corn, I found a field I want to try where a cavalry skirmish happened. Anyway, take care.
Ottis

Also, I am using a Garrett ACE 400 and am very pleased. I am finding buck shot and 22 casings at 6". I have pulled minie balls up from 9". I am very pleased with this little maching and have ordered a larger coil, as I am sure some relics are just out of my machines current abilities.

I was looking into an AT MAX, but I have watched some videos and am not sure that I would be pleased with it? Anyway, just my current experience.

Dohcsvtm

Very familiar with Pitchketle Road. I used to do quite a bunch of hunting in Suffolk. Their cutting corn as we speak.

Hit me on a PM and we'll catch up one day for lunch and discuss some hunting..

Thanks,

John

Just a quick update on the purchase of my AT Pro. First, I did a lot of Youtube research so I would have a good grip on the settings and advanced setting.

I received my AT Pro about a week and a half ago. I have used it several times and am getting used to the settings. I hunt around eastern Virginia and mostly search for civil war and colonial relics; so its mostly fields and woods. Don't do much coin hunting.

After placing my order for this machine, I started reading about complaints concerning lack of depth. No problem with my machine, I've been digging some pretty deep targets.

Overall, I'm very happy with my AT Pro. I run it on the Pro setting, wide open and max out the sensitivity. The only time I bump it back is when I hunt with a friend who has a Garrett 250. When we get 25' within one another, I'll get some feedback. I can usually switch frequencies but bumping one bar of sensitivity will take care of it.

It's a little heavier than my Tesoro but that's to be expected. Pretty darn satisfied with its depth and ability to pick out small pieces of brass and lead. I did dig a .54 caliber round ball at about 9" and plenty of flat buttons; so no griping here. I'm going be a "glass half full" with this machine. I feel pretty darn confident that it's going to bring some relics home so I'll keep everyone posted. They're harvesting corn and peanuts around here so its time to sleep with my boots on.

Just a quick update on the purchase of my AT Pro. First, I did a lot of Youtube research so I would have a good grip on the settings and advanced setting.

I received my AT Pro about a week and a half ago. I have used it several times and am getting used to the settings. I hunt around eastern Virginia and mostly search for civil war and colonial relics; so its mostly fields and woods. Don't do much coin hunting.

After placing my order for this machine, I started reading about complaints concerning lack of depth. No problem with my machine, I've been digging some pretty deep targets.

Overall, I'm very happy with my AT Pro. I run it on the Pro setting, wide open and max out the sensitivity. The only time I bump it back is when I hunt with a friend who has a Garrett 250. When we get 25' within one another, I'll get some feedback. I can usually switch frequencies but bumping one bar of sensitivity will take care of it.

It's a little heavier than my Tesoro but that's to be expected. Pretty darn satisfied with its depth and ability to pick out small pieces of brass and lead. I did dig a .54 caliber round ball at about 9" and plenty of flat buttons; so no griping here. I'm going be a "glass half full" with this machine. I feel pretty darn confident that it's going to bring some relics home so I'll keep everyone posted. They're harvesting corn and peanuts around here so its time to sleep with my boots on.

AT Pro is a good all around machine, there's a million YouTube vids to prove it.

Take me to hunt some Suffolk fields Waterhead.... I just wrapped up two farm hunts here in Va Beach and I have no new permissions. I'll buy lunch, lol

The AT Pro is a proven machine for relic hunters. I know experienced guys who could go to the Nox 800, but stick with the AT Pro.

Had you gone with the Nox 800 might be still trying to figure it out instead of out hunting. Ha! Love my Nox, but also loved my AT Pro. Lots of time spent learning the Nox.

I hope you kept the Ciboa as a back up unit. We have a Cibola among many other machines and it is my wife choice detector. before Tesoro folded , they made a new 8 x 11 wide scan that would work well hunting relics

I purchased my first AT Pro back in mid-summer. Its a great machine....as long as the targets are less than 4 inches deep.....
Haven't found one silver coin, but TONS of clad.....

I've had an AT Pro for 2 years and find it great in soil and fresh water. It gets a bit finicky when you get in salty wet sand and salt water, otherwise I use it everywhere and it's very lightweight. I also use a Minelab Equinox 800 in and around salt water with no issues.
Enjoy...……..
:digginahole:

AT Pro Update

Greetings to all!

Here's an update on the recent purchase of my new AT Pro.

So I've been hitting some colonial house sites for the last couple weeks with my new AT Pro and I pretty much love this machine. I run it in the Pro mode; pretty much wide open and with full sensitivity; when I can get away with it.

I've dug a nice Virginia 1-piece militia button (VA2), a very early 1-piece navy button, a Spanish Reale, a bunch of flat buttons, a couple of largies and a bunch of miscellaneous brass.

I've had no issues with lack of depth and have dug buttons at 8"- 9". Actually, I've been pretty happy with the depth of the AT Pro. It's seeks deeper than my old Cibola, which by the way, has been a great machine.

I'll keep everyone posted as the crops here in Eastern Virginia are being harvested.

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:
Don't forget about Whites products work great in any soil conditions, and I know ownimg a home back their also that some ereas have some hot soil, but does'nt affect the unit at all. Just saying

MoBob

MoBob,

You're right about Whites doing a good job in poor soil.

We used to go once a year to a civil war infantry camp in West Virginia. My Fisher would only grab bullets about 4" max in the mineralized red soil, and even that was a maybe. The fellow I was hunting with had a Whites (unknown model) and was out-digging me 3 to 1.

The next trip I returned with my Fisher CZ-20 beach machine which cut right through that mineralized dirt and gave me access to deeper targets. I couldn't argue with that Whites though.

Back
Top Bottom