Soccer Field Indian Head

diggin4clad

Elite Member
On Saturday morning I spent just over two hours at a soccer field and dug 43 coins worth 7.32 including a pair of badly toasted pennies....a 1953-D Wheatie and an 1884 Indian Head cent. On Sunday, Sue and I returned to the baseball field we hunted last week and dug 90 coins worth $14.78. In two hunts at that baseball field we've dug 195 coins worth $32.63

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 256
Congrats on a helluva clad score. Thats a lotta diggin.Ihp always a nice treat. If I go over $3 in clad on one hunt I consider it a good day. HH Mark

Amazing how you regularly find sports fields with that many quarters relative to the other clad. Given the number of 1965-99 quarters in that mix, they weren't dropped recently either. Do you ever see anybody else out detecting?

Last edited:
Congrats on a helluva clad score. Thats a lotta diggin.Ihp always a nice treat. If I go over $3 in clad on one hunt I consider it a good day. HH Mark
Thanks Mark.....$3 in clad IS a good day. The Sunday hunt kept us busy for sure.

Amazing how you regularly find sports fields with that many quarters relative to the other clad. Given the number of 1965-99 quarters in that mix, they weren't dropped recently either. Do you ever see anybody else out detecting?
I've run into other hunters occasionally but not at the baseball or soccer fields. The coins from the baseball field hunt were deeper than usual probably because the soil was very sandy.

Wow, incredible hunting there. Well done on all the coins. I wonder if more silver or some Indians could be in there.
Thanks, Saltshaker......The soccer field where I dug the Indian has given us a few silver coins in the past. A few years back a guy walking his dog told me that back in the 1950's the site used to be where the carnival set up every summer. That would account for the silver coins and the wheatie, but now with the Indian Head I'm wondering if it was used for other activities before that time.

Congrats on all the clad, and the IHP/wheat D4C.
Thanks Lil Worm...…..

On Saturday morning I spent just over two hours at a soccer field and dug 43 coins worth 7.32 including a pair of badly toasted pennies....a 1953-D Wheatie and an 1884 Indian Head cent. On Sunday, Sue and I returned to the baseball field we hunted last week and dug 90 coins worth $14.78. In two hunts at that baseball field we've dug 195 coins worth $32.63

My shoulder and back ache just thinking about all those holes! ;) congrats to you two.

Good goobody goop! One heckova haul and congrats on the IH! One can only wonder how a 140 yo coin could end up there.

Wow, it's not every day you find an IHP at a soccer field - congrats! :detector:
Thanks Garrett, it depends on what the land was used for back in the day when Indian Heads circulated.

Good goobody goop! One heckova haul and congrats on the IH! One can only wonder how a 140 yo coin could end up there.
Thanks AMC......the site must have had some type of activity going on back in the day.

Great job on all the clad . With all that clad you must be wearing out your tumbler cleaning all of it.
Thanks Yooper.....actually I'm still using the tumbler I've been using since 1984. The thing just won't die...…….

Nice piles o' coinage! It sure can be surprising how much can be found in one area. That IHP looks like the real deal; spent a long time in the dirt!
Thanks Foragist….The IHC is in addition to being toasted is wafer thin, probably in the ground over 100 years.

Congrats on all the change! Probably that IH gave an off reading on the meter.
Thanks JAK......the IHC signal was bouncing between copper penny and zinc which are very close together on the Ace 400.

An IHC in a soccer field is a great suprise find and was probable dropped long before it become a soccer field.
Just like the 1850 Bank of Canada half penny I found in a soccer field at the beginning of this year. It was much deeper than the clad drops and this field had been farmed since the early 1800's. So you never know what might be there to find.

An IHC in a soccer field is a great suprise find and was probable dropped long before it become a soccer field.
Just like the 1850 Bank of Canada half penny I found in a soccer field at the beginning of this year. It was much deeper than the clad drops and this field had been farmed since the early 1800's. So you never know what might be there to find.
I was told by a local that the soccer field was used in the 1950's for the carnival which would account for the silver and wheats I've taken out of there in previous hunts but the Indian must have been dropped long before the carnivals came to town. I don't know what the field was used for before then.

Back
Top Bottom