Detecting Missoula with MTtrashdigger!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Had a great time detecting this past Saturday for about 4 hours up in Missoula, with MTtrashdigger from Eastern Montana, who happened to be in town on family sports fun! He is a great guy, uses the Nox 800, knows his machine really well and is a careful and responsible digger who does an excellent job taking care of the curb strips and lawns we were able to dig.

Our first permission was a 1911 home with a large yard, owned by a nice couple. This yard turned out to be the best one of the day, as my friend found a 1907 "V" Nickel, a neat 1916 King Edward the 7th Canadian Silver dime, and a couple of Silver Rosies along with a few wheat pennies and clad. My side of the front yard produced a Silver Rosie, and a really cool SILVER SPILL! This signal on my AT Pro was not that pure high tone, but good enough to dig. Pulled out one Merc Dime, checked with the Garrett Carrot and there were more targets in the hole! Pulled out two more Silver Mercs, and still wondered why the original signal was a bit messed up. Turned out there was a 4th coin in the hole, a 1947 Jefferson Nickel, that definitely affected the signal.

Down the street a couple houses away, we got another permission in a small front yard, where my friend pulled the 1911 "V" nickel. Both of us got a few wheat pennies there, but nothing else of importance. In the curb strip out front, my friend found a 1912 Barber Dime sitting on top of an early Wheat Penny, a nice spill. Later, in the same curb strip, he pulled an early Mercury Dime, so the day was going great for both of us!

At the last permission, he got a Silver War Nickel, I pulled a Silver Rosie and an odd 1982 USSR Russian small coin. In the nearby curb strip my friend found a Sterling St Christopher Medallion, and a Mexican Sterling silver jewelry item.

Total of 11 silvers, some wheaties, 2 Sterling jewelry items, 2 "V" nickels, and modern clad. We were both very happy with the afternoon of detecting! For my friend, it matched his best day ever for silver coins, gave him his first foreign silver, and his 2nd and 3rd "V" nickels.

We did have some fun things happen... at the second home, there were a couple of young teenage girls who were watching us detect. They went inside and came out with a bowl of fresh chocolate chip cookie dough, and proceeded later to bring each of us a very tasty warm large cookie to snack on! I told my friend that Missoula tries to treat it's guest well! :lol: At the last yard, just before finishing up, a LARGE group of about 50 young female U of M College Sorority Girls walked by, dressed up quite nicely, and on their way to some get together. Quite the distraction and a beautiful end to the afternoon!:cool3:

First pics show my friends' finds, last two show my finds for the afternoon. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• todd4.jpg
    todd4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 257
  • todd3.jpg
    todd3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 201
  • todd2.jpg
    todd2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 209
  • todd5.jpg
    todd5.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 188
  • todd1.jpg
    todd1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 206
  • cz1.jpg
    cz1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 226
  • cz2.jpg
    cz2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
First of all, I have to say there are a lot worse places to spend a Saturday afternoon than western Montana. A very gracious invitation from Loves the Shiny resulted in an epic afternoon hunt (for me anyway). The weather was about perfect, the digging conditions were as good as it gets, the scenery was uh.... distracting at times, but very picturesque. Loves the Shiny took me to a beautiful old neighborhood with very accommodating homeowners and some of the juiciest looking yards and curbstrip boulevards anywhere. As he reported, they did not disappoint. 4 different varieties of silver dimes, ( 3 domestic, one foreign) , an excellent war nickel, two V nickels, several wheat pennies, and some cool silver jewelry found their way into my pocket that afternoon. Thanks to Loves the Shiny for helping me get to 42 silvers for the year. His ability to obtain permissions from the homeowners was impressive. He remembered everyone by name and even brought a nice gift for a homeowner at a previously detected permission. Anyone who reads his posts knows he is very successful, and aside from his considerable skill with his detector, it was apparent to me as to why. Most of us could probably learn from his approach and demeanor. I know I did.
Thanks again for a most memorable hunt!

Last edited:
First of all, I have to say there are a lot worse places to spend a Saturday afternoon than western Montana. A very gracious invitation from Loves the Shiny resulted in an epic afternoon hunt (for me anyway). The weather was about perfect, the digging conditions were as good as it gets, the scenery was uh.... distracting at times, but very picturesque. Loves the Shiny took me to a beautiful old neighborhood with very accommodating homeowners and some of the juiciest looking yards and curbstrip boulevards anywhere. As he reported, they did not disappoint. 4 different varieties of silver dimes, ( 3 domestic, one foreign) , an excellent war nickel, two V nickels, several wheat pennies, and some cool silver jewelry found their way into my pocket that afternoon. Thanks to Loves the Shiny for helping me get to 42 silvers for the year. His ability to obtain permissions from the homeowners was impressive. He remembered everyone by name and even brought a nice gift for a homeowner at a previously detected permission. Anyone who reads his posts knows he is very successful, and aside from his considerable skill with his detector, it was apparent to me as to why. Most of us could probably from his approach and demeanor. I know I did.
Thanks again for a most memorable hunt!

Thank you Montana! Great to meet you and watch you pull some great Silvers, Sterling, early Nickels and more! I'm sure we will get a chance to do the detecting together again!

Great that you two got together. Even better you both dug a awful lot of success. I truly love share hunts. It just makes the experience so much more valuable. Congrats! Trapper

Great that you two got together. Even better you both dug a awful lot of success. I truly love share hunts. It just makes the experience so much more valuable. Congrats! Trapper

Thanks Trapper! Sharing a hunt definitely is fun! Nice that you have some good buddies to detect with too!

Great story! You two had a wonderful day, met people and cleaned up too! Congrats to you both!
I've got family out your way. Maybe I'll make it out there one of these days with my detector, I hope! My wife and I spent some time along the Yakk a few years ago. Such a lovely state.

Be well and thanks for the great write up!

Great story! You two had a wonderful day, met people and cleaned up too! Congrats to you both!
I've got family out your way. Maybe I'll make it out there one of these days with my detector, I hope! My wife and I spent some time along the Yakk a few years ago. Such a lovely state.

Be well and thanks for the great write up!

Thanks Mike, tons of good places to detect here in Montana and some of the prettiest country too! Let me know if you and your detector make it here sometime.

Congrats on the neat coins! :clap:

Thank you Wolf-Dog, appreciate your comments!

Back
Top Bottom