• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro with EBL rechargables...

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
I bought some EBL AA 2800 mAh rechargables, and they don't seem to be holding up charge too well. They were new in packaging and fully charged before their 1st use, but I'm only getting like 6 hours use before the power gauge on the AT shows only 2 bars left. I know by using rechargables you'll lose the top "fully" charged bar usually within the 1st hour, but I kinda expected with 2800 mAh's it would be able to hold the second bar for at least about 15 hours use before dropping. I think most normal AA's are rated at 1600-1900 mAh's full, so 2800 should last at least 1 1/2 times as long I thought?

From what I understand the AT Pro runs best with fully charged batteries and performance drops significantly as power drops, so it's best to keep batteries charged. Surely I should get more than 6 hours hunting before dropping down to the last 2 power bars?

I have high mAh EBL 9v's that can run 30+ hours before needing charge on a different detector, which is why I tried the EBL AA's. Are these AA's defective you think, or is the AT Pro just a power hungry detector?

I used eneloop AA in my pro, over a year and many many chargings they still last days.

I also use the Eneloop's in my AT Pro. Specifically, the Eneloop Pro BK-3HCCA (the black ones), which are only 2550 mAh (2450 mAh min). I've never really put a timer on them, but likewise, they have never run out on me, and they stay in the ATP until the battery indicator drops to two bars, which is usually a long time (several, several hunts).

As for the AT Pro, I will say that the batteries don't seem to last as long, as they do in my Fisher F75, but again, I remove them from the ATP when down to only two bars.

Actually, the only time I've ever had a set of batteries to run down, is one night when I left the ATP sitting on my workbench overnight - turned ON :(

Last edited:
I also use the Eneloop's in my AT Pro. Specifically, the Eneloop Pro BK-3HCCA (the black ones), which are only 2450 mAh. I've never really put a timer on them, but likewise, they have never run out on me, and they stay in the ATP until the battery indicator drops to two bars, which is usually a long time (several, several hunts).

As for the AT Pro, I will say that the batteries don't seem to last as long, as they do in my Fisher F75, but again, I remove them from the ATP when down to only two bars.

Actually, the only time I've ever had a set of batteries to run down, is one night when I left the ATP sitting on my workbench overnight - turned ON :(

That's why I was thinking they should be lasting longer on the top 2 power bars than just about 6 hours. I run pro zero full sens without headphones (which I know the speaker uses more power). I just received an adapter I ordered for earbud use, so maybe that'll help by not using the speaker. Maybe the speaker is a big part of the drain because by running full sens, I'm getting little falses all the time in the trashy places I hunt. So it's pretty much using the speaker the whole time hunting.

That's why I was thinking they should be lasting longer on the top 2 power bars than just about 6 hours. I run pro zero full sens without headphones (which I know the speaker uses more power). I just received an adapter I ordered for earbud use, so maybe that'll help by not using the speaker. Maybe the speaker is a big part of the drain because by running full sens, I'm getting little falses all the time in the trashy places I hunt. So it's pretty much using the speaker the whole time hunting.

I likewise run in Pro Zero mode, but with sensitivity down 1 notch, and I never use any kind of headphones (but that's another whole can of worms)....

Last edited:
IIRC when I loaded NIMH in my AT it powered with the top bar missing . I felt it was due to the voltage difference of 1.2V vs 1.5V cells.

Always carried a spare holder loaded with freshly charged set.

Love rechargeables !!

Eneloops are the only cells that will work in my Canon digital.

IIRC when I loaded NIMH in my AT it powered with the top bar missing . I felt it was due to the voltage difference of 1.2V vs 1.5V cells.

Always carried a spare holder loaded with freshly charged set.

Love rechargeables !!

Eneloops are the only cells that will work in my Canon digital.

Not powering the top power notch is common with rechargables. I think it has something to do with the way they discharge compared with normal batteries. Maybe the EBL's dissipate slower on the low end, which doesn't do me any good since the AT is known to suffer in performance on the low end?

That blows. I only spent $10 on the batts and charger though, so I guess I'll be saving up for the RnB batt cell. Haven't heard anything but great stuff about it.

Thanks for all your experience and help, gentlemen!

You can get four (4) of those "Black 2550 mAh" Eneloops, along with a smart charger, for less than $25 on Amazon. I got two of those sets, over 1 1/2 years ago, and then added another set of batteries, and they are all still going strong, with no noticeable loss of power. I id'ed each individual set of batteries (1,2,&3), so as to not mix them up, and so I could keep them rotated, in some orderly fashion. :yes:

You can get four (4) of those "Black 2550 mAh" Eneloops, along with a smart charger, for less than $25 on Amazon. I got two of those sets, over 1 1/2 years ago, and then added another set of batteries, and they are all still going strong, with no noticeable loss of power. I id'ed each individual set of batteries (1,2,&3), so as to not mix them up, and so I could keep them rotated, in some orderly fashion. :yes:

Thanks RR, it gives me more options to think about. I appreciate it!

Thanks RR, it gives me more options to think about. I appreciate it!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
:yes: IMG_0523.JPG:yes:

@remmy.....Man ! You already got $.08 this year ? :D

Yes sir, read it and weep!!:lol::laughing: Actually almost all of my hunting has been fields, very little clad there. The .08 is actually a nickel and 3 pennies I chiseled from the frozen neighborhood yards last week in desperation to find something!:lol::shock:

Yes sir, read it and weep!!:lol::laughing: Actually almost all of my hunting has been fields, very little clad there. The .08 is actually a nickel and 3 pennies I chiseled from the frozen neighborhood yards last week in desperation to find something!:lol::shock:

Well, you are $.08 ahead of me ! Carry on ! :digginahole:

Your pro has the same performance with 1 bar or all bars on battery. Voltage is regulated as most detectors are now days. Bars on detectors typically reflect voltage. Rechargeables typically start lower than alkaline but stay at that level steady for a bit and alkaline is more of a linear drop.

Back
Top Bottom