Pinpointing made unreliable

daddyflea

I have two Garrett carrots and they are reliable but I really do not like them. i am getting real tired of trying to find a target only to have the Pinpointer go off in the hole with no way of telling if the target is on the side, Left, right, or in the bottom. I have had almost all of the Pinpointers including TRX, Propointer, detectorpro, Sun Ray, and others. I could not hear the Detector Pro or the TRX but liked the way these zeroed in on the Target. I am considering a Uniprobe but that is a lot of money and I don't like wearing cups on both ears. Any advice?

I love my TRX, but I find it to be way too loud, even with several layers of electrical tape covering the speaker. I hope you can find a PP that you like and works well for you.

I love my TRX, but I find it to be way too loud, even with several layers of electrical tape covering the speaker. I hope you can find a PP that you like and works well for you.

Wow mine was no where near as loud as a garrett

A guy I hunt with occasionally uses the newer garrett PP, the black one, and we both agree that my TRX is louder than his garrett. Maybe I just got one with an abnormally loud speaker...

No they are all over $300 now and I have two Etracs to equip

Got it.

Not sure how much you've used the Garretts vs the others, but I tend to keep that battery compartment end out of the hole as much as possible. I try straight down at first and spiral with the tip out to the surface. Of course the faster the beep the closer you are.

I know the whole side is a coil too, where your others probably aren't but I think the more you use it the more you will like it. I however have never used anything other than the black and orange Garretts. You can turn the sensitivity down on the carrot, but I don't recall how as I run it wide open.

You can turn the sensitivity down on the carrot, but I don't recall how as I run it wide open.

Once in the plug and it barely starts beeping on the outside of the target, fast push the button again and it will quiet down. That lowers the sensitivity. I think you can lower it like that 2 or 3 times? If the target is huge or there is iron discriminated out next to your target that you are hitting on, then you're on a goose chase to dig them all.

Once in the plug and it barely starts beeping on the outside of the target, fast push the button again and it will quiet down. That lowers the sensitivity. I think you can lower it like that 2 or 3 times? If the target is huge or there is iron discriminated out next to your target that you are hitting on, then you're on a goose chase to dig them all.

Good tip, I'm always afraid to turn it down as I'm not sure if the next time I try to turn it on what level it's on.

When started does it reset to max?

I know I could actually read the instructions, but hey I'm a male:lol:

I have had Black Garrett's and I currently have the TRX witch I love other than I have trouble hearing it. I suppose at my age and being a retired Pipefitter working in extremely loud conditions most of my life may be a factor. I never liked the Garrett's due all the falsing I still have one for a back up, but It seldom gets used.

Good tip, I'm always afraid to turn it down as I'm not sure if the next time I try to turn it on what level it's on.

When started does it reset to max?

I know I could actually read the instructions, but hey I'm a male:lol:

It resets everytime it's shut off. Always starts at max sensitivity and then you can notch it down when needed. The only times I've found it needs to be notched down is if your targeting a nail head, pants rivet or there's a deep can banging it hard. With the can senario, lowering the sensitivity won't help because it'll still hit hard. That's when I stand back up and resweep with the coil about 8 inches off the surface. If it still hits, it's a deep can. For the pants rivet and the nail head, good luck because they are both colored like the dirt and a pain in the a** trying to locate.

I just had a trusted Dealer test the carrot next to the TRX and he says the Carrot is noticeably louder. I had a TRX when they first came out and that was my finding as well. I had to sell the TRX because of it.

It resets everytime it's shut off. Always starts at max sensitivity and then you can notch it down when needed. The only times I've found it needs to be notched down is if your targeting a nail head, pants rivet or there's a deep can banging it hard. With the can senario, lowering the sensitivity won't help because it'll still hit hard. That's when I stand back up and resweep with the coil about 8 inches off the surface. If it still hits, it's a deep can. For the pants rivet and the nail head, good luck because they are both colored like the dirt and a pain in the a** trying to locate.

This is true but the carrot will ground balance to what ever is near. If you want full Sensitivity make sure that it is set to Maximum then hold it in the air as you turn it on. If you are looking for a target just bump the button as it is going off. It will reset to quiet. If you again need High sensitivity hold it in the air and bump the button it will go right back to Maximum. Don't turn it on and go right to the hole. Give it a couple seconds in the air first. This will get you maximum sensitivity.

This is true but the carrot will ground balance to what ever is near. If you want full Sensitivity make sure that it is set to Maximum then hold it in the air as you turn it on. If you are looking for a target just bump the button as it is going off. It will reset to quiet. If you again need High sensitivity hold it in the air and bump the button it will go right back to Maximum. Don't turn it on and go right to the hole. Give it a couple seconds in the air first. This will get you maximum sensitivity.

I've learned that the hard way. You have to wait a sec after you start it for the second beep. Too many times I started it and right to the hole and the sensitivity gauged down because the target was right next to it already. Left me looking around the hole like :?:...I know there's something in here...

I've learned that the hard way. You have to wait a sec after you start it for the second beep. Too many times I started it and right to the hole and the sensitivity gauged down because the target was right next to it already. Left me looking around the hole like :?:...I know there's something in here...

I have said ugly things after doing just that.

+ 2 But I love the directional pin pointing. No more guessing if the target is in the side of the whole. Just wish it was louder.

Mine neither. To me...The TRX needs a volume boost.

I currently use custom molded ear monitors with my detector, and these block out most sound. So I can't really hear the TRX much, but the vibrate mode compensates for that.

Last edited:

This is actually detuning/ratcheting or whatever you want to call it. You can do as many times as you like both as you zoom into a target and also reset but pressing button in the air. You can actually detune to the point of being on a target and it not go off at all. Its really the only way to zero in on a target with the garrett in a small hole or large target. The TRX was the first to implement this feature with simple button press vs a turn off and on.

The detune can also be used to ground balance to grounds that make it start to false.

Back
Top Bottom