Civil War US Calvary Camp Finds

Waterhead

Guys & Gals,

I went and hit an old civil War US Calvary camp outside Petersburg, Virginia for about an hour today. There's just not much left there anymore. The pictures represent (2) .52 caliber Sharps Carbine Bullets (Yankee Calvary), (1) .31 caliber cast pistol bullet and one old colonial silver coin.

I'm luck in the fact that we dig a fair amount of Spanish coins here in Virginia to include, Spanish Milled Dollars, bits, reals and cobs. However, I have never dug a silver coin with this type of bust in it. It's pretty worn so I cannot make out the date or seal on the rear of the coin.

Just reminiscing but I dug my 1st US oval buckle out of this camp. I was so excited I couldn't sleep that night. I hit it again the next day and dug 2 brass US Calvary spurs. Over the years, I dug about 125 bullets out of it, a couple of large cents, a seated liberty quarter and about a dozen eagle buttons. I'm still thankful, I know it was hit hard before me and its still get snuck into. Either way, I still have fun.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• DSC04666.JPG
    DSC04666.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 940
  • DSC04668.JPG
    DSC04668.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 897
  • DSC04669.JPG
    DSC04669.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 909
Even in the worn condition it's in, the silver coin is still an awesome find! From what you've said, the site has been pounded over the years, but there are still some interesting coins/artifacts to be dug! You are so blessed to be able to hunt a location with so much history!

The closet thing I can find is that the coin might be a castorland medal from 1796 but that is only a quess, the bust resembles it and they were made of silver also. Nice find though!

Waterhead I was reading some information last week on civil war gun stocks and some of the officers use to screw a coin to the handle for good luck. It was usually given by thier TO (Training Officer) that commisioned them from the federal goverment. You may have one! Do some research on that coin.... I looked for the article but no luck. :no: G/L and HH:yes:

That's a pretty awesome hunt you had. I definitely like that coin and the rest of the stuff. First coin I've seen like that, hopefully you'll get someone to identify it for you! Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom