Civil War Token

Eraserhead

I've been on a quest to find my first silver coin since getting my dfx back in August. I don't get a lot of time to go out so every hour is precious. I was fortunate today to have a free afternoon so I hit a local park that has a lot of history. Four hours of clad, pull tabs and canslaw - but there was an odd coin that I couldn't ID. After cleaning up, I could read "13 & 14 Abittoir Place" on one side. The reverse was an animal of some sort, and I could see a "63" and "Thomas". Figured it had to be a token of some sort. Thanks to the wonders of Google, I found it online. Turns out to be a Civil War token from 1863! Sweet! You can see a clean version of it here. (look for the pig).

Probably not worth much in its condition - but I'll take it! The silver will have to wait another day ...

Attachments

• cwt_twhite1863b.jpg
    cwt_twhite1863b.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 316
  • cwt_twhite1863a.jpg
    cwt_twhite1863a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 328
Nice very nice find. I am jealous of you, wish we had history here like that, but we do have the logging industry that was here back in the 1800's.

Devros.
You responded to my posts in the last couple of days about clearing weeds on state land. Howdy again:-)
You stated (above) "wish we had history here like that, but we do have the logging industry that was here back in the 1800's.

The area I had in mind was a lumber camp. Complete with mills, blacksmith, post office, hotel, shoe store and a couple of other stores.

I have found very little of value at this site considering that it was there for something between 10 and 20 years. However, I did find 1 civil war token and 1 civil war button. Thats why my interest in the site has been rekindled. So I will say to you, don't think we can't find civil war relics in the big Mitten.

And for something to talk about, some of the other things I found there are...
bits of metal of all kinds, kerosene lamp parts, window hinges, window latches (I think), a clay pipe stem, an 1874 Canadian half dime (from the year they started the camp), a button with a basket of flowers on it and another button that I suspect was from civil war with an anchor on it.

O, I'm getting excited thinking about it:lol:

Devros.
You responded to my posts in the last couple of days about clearing weeds on state land. Howdy again:-)
You stated (above) "wish we had history here like that, but we do have the logging industry that was here back in the 1800's.

The area I had in mind was a lumber camp. Complete with mills, blacksmith, post office, hotel, shoe store and a couple of other stores.

I have found very little of value at this site considering that it was there for something between 10 and 20 years. However, I did find 1 civil war token and 1 civil war button. Thats why my interest in the site has been rekindled. So I will say to you, don't think we can't find civil war relics in the big Mitten.

And for something to talk about, some of the other things I found there are...
bits of metal of all kinds, kerosene lamp parts, window hinges, window latches (I think), a clay pipe stem, an 1874 Canadian half dime (from the year they started the camp), a button with a basket of flowers on it and another button that I suspect was from civil war with an anchor on it.

O, I'm getting excited thinking about it:lol:
Yea I guess youre right when you say that civil war stuff could be here, they could have brought it back when they came home. Where are you located? I live in the Tawas, Oscoda area. Drop me a line if you ever get up this way. Good luck on the site, and best of luck.

I'm in the Davison area.

>I guess youre right when you say that civil war stuff could be here, they could have brought it back when they >came home

Your right. I read that many of the soldiers kept there coats after the war and that many times when discarding cloths they kept the buttons and buckles for their other cloths. Theres every reason to think that a civil war buckle is possible to find. My dream is to come across that 1 gold coin that someone dropped. Dream on.

Back
Top Bottom