Civil War Bullets???

foreverRich

Forum Supporter
Need some of you who are familiar with Civil War bullets to help identify these bullets. They came from earth works in Suffolk, VA. They measure .625 dia. to .59375 dia. These are the only bullets I have found that look different than the majority of other bullets I have found. They are darker and every one has been fired (no drops). They are all three ring and the groves are wider than most. About 1/16" wide by 1/32" deep. Any help will certainly be appreciated.

Attachments

• Unknown Bullets.jpg
    Unknown Bullets.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 518
  • Unknown Bullets 2.jpg
    Unknown Bullets 2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 506
Mmmhh, ive found a few bullets but you got me there. Post those over on TreasureSpot. Someone might be able to help you there. Did you find those under pine trees? I found that alot of times there is alot less of the white oxidation on the lead if I find them in Pine woods. Interesting!

Nice finds! You got me on those bullets though. I've found all different kinds of CW bullets, but never any like those. If you figure out what kind they are, please post the info. In the meantime I'll keep digging (no pun intended) through my references to see what I come up with.

Rob

Nice finds! You got me on those bullets though. I've found all different kinds of CW bullets, but never any like those. If you figure out what kind they are, please post the info. In the meantime I'll keep digging (no pun intended) through my references to see what I come up with.

Rob

On one of the other forums, I was told they were probably newer bullets from Civil War re-enactors. I didn't know they ever used live ammunition. The earthworks I found them at was a large one, by a marsh. It was about 6 or 7 foot high and had a area where you could walk around inside, to defend it from both sides. I often wondered if they were experimenting with another lead mixture. Guess I might never know. Still think they were a neat find though. Thanks for everyone's input.

Rich - I looked through my book "CW Projectiles" and did not find them. The base cavity does not conform to any and the 3 grooves are not to be found that wide apart.
I did see some in a museum here that are similar but a little longer. They are from the Indian Wars, about the 1870's. Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom