The Key to Getting into Yale

Relic Seeker

With much delay, and one hand, I finally got to detect again over the weekend. As usual though, a little intro; The area that I detected the other day is a modern house that sits on Revolutionary-era farmland. The best part about this trip was that the property is so big, it'll take literal weeks of field experience to detect it all. The land belongs to a man whom I helped move a bunch of stone for last summer. He told me all about the property (which was at one point used by colonial troops) and I knew I had to detect here at some point. Since it will take more time to detect it all, I have the owner's permission to come back anytime (and I certainly intend to).
During this particular trip, I found a bagful of scrap metals ranging from hand forged pieces to more modern things like a can of grape soda and a few pieces of piping. Considering I spent a lot of time digging behind a shed, I knew my junk/keeps ratio would be heavier on the junk side (we can't all find old coins, guys). I plan to keep at least one of the gauges I found, as it's still usable to me.

So, even though I didn't find a King George Copper, flat button or musket ball, I think the real reward today was the key to a good education in field experience.

Also: If anyone has any idea what the iron spike is, I would love to know. I think I'll try cleaning it up.

Freshly uncovered "Junk" seeds.

An unknown spike with key for comparison

The key to Yale. Note that Yale still makes locks to this day. This one is from the 10's to 30's, I think.

Last edited:
One thing is for absolutely sure,if you have the stomach for it...if you can learn to hunt in areas of dense trash, those skills will serve you well anywhere else you go. Signals that may seem sketchy to the guy who started in cleaner athletic fields will seem like obviously good signals to you. Using as small a coil as you have and at least a little discrimination will (might) help to get some of the non-masked keeper targets in the beginning,just to keep your interest up...
And,yes,we CAN all dig old coins! It's just that most people are not going to start looking for them in that location. However....if you DO happen to run across any coins back there,they will likely be something that will blow the socks clean off your feet.

Im interested if anyone will come up with a definitive answer on the "spike thing". I found one too a while back, and assumed it was a plow point, but that was just an uneducated guess.

Im interested if anyone will come up with a definitive answer on the "spike thing". I found one too a while back, and assumed it was a plow point, but that was just an uneducated guess.

Vintage sickle bar mower point.

Attachments

• il_570xN.415531389_b1fv.jpg
    il_570xN.415531389_b1fv.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 170053255_b571a0aa30_z.jpg
    170053255_b571a0aa30_z.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom