Any AT PRO guys here?

aamechs2

Do Any of you beach and salt water guys use the AT PRO on wet sand or in the ocean? Does it work for you? I know there are better machines for this but just wanted to know what you think. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends where you are located. I have used my AT pro (when my DFPI was in for repairs - darn battery leaked). Depending on the beach and amount of balck sand, I could get anywhere from 0" (yes 0 in black sand) to 6-7" depth. Plan for constant falsing and digging some holes with nothing there. But if you get a consistant signal dig and you will find stuff. Sure its not designed for saltwater but to just get out and have fun and learn the beach, it will work. Just try not to get frustrated. My buddy followed me with his Sovereign and found plenty I missed, but I still found targets. You can groundbalance depending on the sand and how wet it is. Go out have fun. The AT will get you some targets.

Another single frequency tip for salt water is to turn down the sensitivity. Think of it like using high beams in fog. less can be more.
Avoid moving from wet to dry and back again. Stay in one condition.
My IDX Pro and M6 were chatty in the wet but my V3i (three frequencies at one time) kills in the wet sand.

Ground balancing is also VERY important. I found it best to use the auto balance. And as stated earlier, try not to go back and forth from wet to dry and so on. Your ground balance will vary greatly between wet and dry. But with a good ground balance, you can get good results in wet sand.

Only found a few coins in the wet with the AT Pro. It does great on the dry sand but would false to much on the wet for me. Turn down the sensitivity and ground balance a lot. But if you have an AT Pro go to the beach and try it out.

I had to end up buying a used CZ-21 for the salt water conditions.

only found a few coins in the wet with the at pro. It does great on the dry sand but would false to much on the wet for me. Turn down the sensitivity and ground balance a lot. But if you have an at pro go to the beach and try it out.

I had to end up buying a used cz-21 for the salt water conditions.

+1 , hh

I think everyone will agree you can make it work with some success. the drawback is you will lose depth in decreasing the sensitivity.

HOWEVER, if it is your only choice, use it and have fun. You might not have a depth demon and you might be missing targets, but keep trying and just enjoy what you have till you decide another machine is in your budget.

I have read a bunch on the subject since buying one of the first off the line ATPro and YES it has found gold, silver and coins in saltwater surf. Falsing is the biggest drawback. To reduce the falsing set the Ground Balance manually to 15-19 (I found 17 works best for me) and drop the sensitivity. Then detect parallel with the water's edge and dig the repeatable signals.
True it is not the best detector for salt water, but it can locate targets. My choice detector for the Northeast is an ATX, for Florida and the Caribbean an Excalibur is my choice. Each beach can be different, knowing the environment and adjusting your detector can always produce the best results. No one detector can be the best in all environments. Make the best of what you have. Just think what detecotrists had to work with back in the 1960s and 1970s - the BFO, not waterproof and boy were the finds more plentiful and some fabulous keepers found, not to mention that most of the coins were silver!

I'll just throw this out here in case a lot of freshies are reading...Even up here on the shores of Lake Michigan theres magnetized Black sand that severely affects the depth and operation of the AtPro...

You have to slow your swing speed waaay down as well as what everyone already said...then you gotta try to listen for any kind of disturbance, chirp, bleep...None of the typical target tones sound the same...you can see a penny right on the deck and it dont sound like a penny!

Theres guys up here that use the multifreq rigs, and I always thought it was 'overkill' but no...they know that black sand pretty much locks out targets from the single freq guys, and where you find black sand, thats where the old gold is around here...You can operate the Pro if you have a bit of understanding of whats going on in the strata and set up appropriately...

That final picture says it all....black sand layer down a bit under fresh light sand overburden...most targets are safe hiding down in there...

Attachments

• blow2.jpg
    blow2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 176
  • apr 11-16-4.jpg
    apr 11-16-4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 175
  • apr2715-3.jpg
    apr2715-3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 180
  • black s.jpg
    black s.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 181
Wow that's a great report. Thanks. I don't get to do much beach hunting but I'll remember that[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can stay away from the rocks and black sand you can tune it to get moderate results. All the rocks here on my beach are very hot, and 2/3rds of the beach has them. That part is where the human activity is. So I use the Sea Hunter MKII.
I have tried, and spent more than a few hours with it and it just starts to make you crazy listening to all the noise.

Atpro will work some

Atpro will work some at wet salt water beech however better choice is a multi frequency decetor or if u want to dig really deep a pulse detector

Fisher Cz21,Cz5, Garrett Seahunter mk2, Atpro, Ace250, Ace300

Back
Top Bottom