back to my nh civil war field

HannibalNectar

Elite Member
Over two years I have found numerous civil war related items from one field in new Hampshire.
Heres the link to a post with all the previous finds. Its UNREAL

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=235414

Yesterday I went back out even though the place has been wiped out of any good targets (by me)
All I found was one good target. Im happy with it.

Attachments

• 20161030_122529-1.jpg
    20161030_122529-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 20161030_123015-1.jpg
    20161030_123015-1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 362
Sweet veterans button! I often joke that "anything after 1865 is modern" lol but that's a great post-war find ive always wanted to dig up. Great save!

Wow! In NH no less. Followed your link to your other post and I'm amazed at the finds. Colonial and Rev war I could see, but the silly war? Maybe your friend writing the book could shed some light on why you have so many state buttons. Rally point before heading south, GAR event? Things that make you go hmmm . . . Great job!

ffgrizzley

Wow! In NH no less. Followed your link to your other post and I'm amazed at the finds. Colonial and Rev war I could see, but the silly war? Maybe your friend writing the book could shed some light on why you have so many state buttons. Rally point before heading south, GAR event? Things that make you go hmmm . . . Great job!

ffgrizzley

Ya I was thinking that this button may explain the others from different states. Not sure if this button was worn by a actual veteran or a worker at the homes?

I always like digging in NH. Great variety of buttons. I remember getting a GAR button with a Mass Volunteer with a GW linked states all at the same cellar hole.

Great find. That's a good post War button to own .

Excellent finds Hannibal.

What are the chances that this field was once used for musters?

You might be surprised how many fields were used for training soldiers back in the day. If you find small random sheets of lead, these might have been used to melt when forming musket balls.

Excellent finds Hannibal.

What are the chances that this field was once used for musters?

You might be surprised how many fields were used for training soldiers back in the day. If you find small random sheets of lead, these might have been used to melt when forming musket balls.

I haven't found much as far as bullets. Very little sheet lead. No more than any other farm.
The amount of suspender buckles is MIND BLOWING. well over 75 suspender buckles,50 iron heel plates And at least 50 harmonica reeds! ALL in an area of probably 4 football fields? This place is just insane. Lately ive started all over again and really really slowed down. And its working.
So I think you may be on to something, a gathering point or practice area. If it wasn't then I cant imagine the field worked that hard that over 100 buckles were lost. When you think about that. How many or how often would a suspender buckle broken off? So if 100+ fell off than there must have been what?, a thousand that didn't?
You know what im trying to say? Figuring however many people were in this field and did NOT lose anything. It makes me think something big was going on here. Im definitely going2 meet with the historical society this "off season"

Wow that field has been great to you. Big congrats, those are great relics.

Not sure what your swinging, but perhaps a different machine won't make you feel you've hunted it out.

Back
Top Bottom