How old is this pottery ?

Also how much do you know about dry pressed bricks

Dry pressed bricks? I have absolutely none.

The second piece above is probably a piece of 'decal ware'. The pattern wasn't painted by hand, but rather printed on paper and then transferred onto the piece. This process was started in the early to mid 1800's, but was perfected by the 1870-1880's. Notice the color of the clay body, no rural potter made that. I would wager it was imported. American made decal ware is very rare until the 1900's. If you were really adamant I'm sure the pattern could be identified and dated.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong!

Dry pressed bricks? I have absolutely none.

The second piece above is probably a piece of 'decal ware'. The pattern wasn't painted by hand, but rather printed on paper and then transferred onto the piece. This process was started in the early to mid 1800's, but was perfected by the 1870-1880's. Notice the color of the clay body, no rural potter made that. I would wager it was imported. American made decal ware is very rare until the 1900's. If you were really adamant I'm sure the pattern could be identified and dated.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong!

It was only one shard just both sides, but the context of what was at my site your explanation makes total sense, if that it's self makes sense

It almost looks like old terra cotta sewer pipe.

Cliff

+1. I do some work at an archaeological dig, in the archaeology lab. I've seen many, many (maybe 100's of pieces) of these sewer pipes come in to the lab. This looks like one.

+1. I do some work at an archaeological dig, in the archaeology lab. I've seen many, many (maybe 100's of pieces) of these sewer pipes come in to the lab. This looks like one.

I actually dug my second sewer pipe thre i knew what it was this time I dug a bottle that was droped down it as I probed around hoping for more bottles. This time the pices were much larger. The bottle was a cork top med bottle I nailed it with th the shovel am glad it did not shatter

I think I found the desgin it's a blue willow

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 59
first item looks like late 1800's early 1900's crockery peice. seen alot of those whole and broken and that is pretty much exactly the right size, color, texture. just my .02

Back
Top Bottom