Help Identifying Rock Or Melted Metal?

from the whitish corrosion or white rust I would say it is lead. lead that has been in the ground for quite some time. most likely leftover or a spill from pouring bullets or sinkers or maybe even from a plumber's kit. my guess

Good to know! I was confused about the white spots too (thought maybe it was a small amount of concrete or something).

I'm guessing it must be a lead mix based on what most people are saying here and based on the location found (an old logging trail in a heavily deer hunted area). I'll second your thought on it possibly being over spill from pouring bullets.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Could be a piece of babbot, often lead with zinc or tin combined. It's used for bearings of some sort I believe. I find a lot of it and it rings high. It's pretty hard and usually brittle. And very heavy.

Thanks for the tip! Tried that and am still coming up confused because I'm able to scratch the lead wheel weight with my finger nail, where as if I try to scratch the object I found I end up filing my finger nail down.

I was able to sand down a small spot with some rough sandpaper (tore the sandpaper apart, but I did get it to show up bright and shiny) and tried scratching at that area and came out with the same results so if it is lead it must be mixed with another very hard metal.

A very small percentage of alloying metal can make it very hard, but wheel weights are generally pretty hard as far as lead goes. Could be you have something else like zinc or tin, the only real way to know for sure is to do a density test, or maybe take it to a scrapyard with one of those scanners.

A very small percentage of alloying metal can make it very hard, but wheel weights are generally pretty hard as far as lead goes. Could be you have something else like zinc or tin, the only real way to know for sure is to do a density test, or maybe take it to a scrapyard with one of those scanners.
That's why I suggested the wheel weights. If it is much harder than that it probably isn't lead.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom