Votes: 35 3.3%
  • Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro

Votes: 81 7.7%
  • BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters
I started with an F2 - Loved the Delta 4000 also - Both are great starter & backup inits however if you are wanting value for money & the best start up machine you cannot go past the .......

GoldFinder2 -

Priced under $150 & their after sales service is up there with the best -

I voted AT Pro. It is interesting that the ACE 250 (which I started with) got three times as many votes. The irony is that the AT Pro is basically a much stronger ACE 250, when in standard mode. And considering that the controls\interface\layout is nearly identical between the machines, why bother with the ACE 250 first ? In standard mode you have a pumped up ACE 250, with so many other additional features like being shallow water proof etc. Then when you know what you are doing, run the AT Pro in pro zero mode, or whatever you like, for more depth and info. The ATP is a very versatile machine with good depth.

It' all in who's on the handle...

I have been using a borrowed ace 350. It has the depth and is easy to use first time out. But, that said, I would not be happy owning it. The audio tones for anything in the top 2/3 of the disc. scale are all the same frequency. The only thing that makes a nickel or pull tab sound any different than the penny, dime, quarter, and half is the duration of the tone. I have hearing loss and they all sound the same to me while searching trashy areas. I will probably invest in an F4 because of the numeric signature each coin will display, and the ability to ground balance manually. And also the 4 audio tones are distinctively different, frequency wise.

I am brand new to metal detecting I am from Australia so the things I will be hunting for will be more on the gold/coins side of things not really artifacts etc I have $400 to $500 to spend on my first detector please I need some advise.

Now that I have more time I went for the AT pro, easy to use and water proof .
I use to worry about rain , condensation going from cold weather back into a warm house . And sooner or later you are going into the water.

My dad has an old Whites 5900 di pro. That is a great machine but has a bit of a learning curve. .. I picked up a used Ace 25o to get back into the hobby and from there i picked up a Tesoro Silver U max and Tesoro Cibola. The Tesoros are my go to machines now, with the cibola being the one i take out the most. biggest trick is find a machine within the budget and use it, use it, use it. Best thing i ever did was use the heck outta the machines, learn their nuances and dig. dig alot.

HH,

J

Davo hunter,

If you have 4 or 500 to spend you would be hard pressed to beat the Vaquero.
Ground balance, very deep and just seems to find the good stuff. I bought one for myself for xmas because I love the beep and digs. I run my Deus the same way. Set my program and put the remote in the truck. Dig all signals I like. Xmas day after getting it I found 3 silvers a couple of wheat pennies and some artifacts at an old closed down drive in I hunt. Was amazed at how much it found. I set it at the second mark between iron and 5c and was amazed at how much it found and left the trash in the ground. Silent running has its advantages. Sometimes its nice to have that when I don't wont to hear the myriad of tones coming from the Deus.

Davo hunter,

If you have 4 or 500 to spend you would be hard pressed to beat the Vaquero.
Ground balance, very deep and just seems to find the good stuff. I bought one for myself for xmas because I love the beep and digs. I run my Deus the same way. Set my program and put the remote in the truck. Dig all signals I like. Xmas day after getting it I found 3 silvers a couple of wheat pennies and some artifacts at an old closed down drive in I hunt. Was amazed at how much it found. I set it at the second mark between iron and 5c and was amazed at how much it found and left the trash in the ground. Silent running has its advantages. Sometimes its nice to have that when I don't wont to hear the myriad of tones coming from the Deus.

Can't see myself going back to no display unlessbits a beach machine

Ace 150

I find some of the low end Bounty Hunters , just don't offer enough.
Why not spend the extra $50.00 or so bucks and get a ACE 150 by Garrett.
Ace 150 offers so much more, the one thing you don't want to do; have somebody new getting frustrated with dismal finds.

Good detector for a beginner

I had a young detectorist just starting off this past Spring.
He really like the ACE 150. A lot of basic adjustment on the control box
that he could understand and benefit from

Theres a F2 in the for sale section now. I heard good things about them. I started with the Garrett Ace250 and really enjoyed that one also. Theres alot of Bounty hunters in here, also Tereso people too. Good luck.

My first wasn't on the list it was a Garrett Discriminator and wouldn't have been recommended with todays machines late 70s I gave it to my brother he still uses it to locate boundary/property pins.

As a person who started with a F2, then moved to a Garrett ATP, I would suggest starting with the ATP. With some help from utube videos, one can figure out the machine enough to have some fun, and save the money they spent on the F2 in order to purchase a GOOD PP , and nice shovel. That's just my take on it..........I wish I would have done this very thing when I started.

Here's a thread where we can give some advice to members new to detecting and wanting to know what a good beginner detector would be.

Listed are the most popular. Please vote which detector you started with, or if it's not in the list, please post on the thread.

My first detector won't be in the list. I started out with a Whites XLT.

Thanks. :D

Sorry if you've heard this already, but this poll is going to be skewed because in order for me (a newbie) to view the results, I'll need to vote. Being a newbie, I don't know the best detector for a new user so my input will be bad.

Am I correct in this?

Back
Top Bottom