Metal detector for Police Department

Speedbmp07

I have been given permission to purchase a metal detector for my police department. This would primarily be used for finding projectiles (LEAD) and brass casings. From my understanding not all metal detectors have strings/sensitivity for these metals. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good metal detector that meets these requirements for under $500.00.

Thanks in advance!

Shoot me a private message we would love to help your department out :cool:

Thanks for contacting me, I think the AT Pro will serve you best given that you can also search in the water for items and also if you are working a scene in the rain.

You have a Private Message...:cool:

http://www.garrett.com/securitysite/security_csi_250_main.aspx

1140070_csi_250_sm.jpg

Garrett ACE 300

I have been given permission to purchase a metal detector for my police department. This would primarily be used for finding projectiles (LEAD) and brass casings. From my understanding not all metal detectors have strings/sensitivity for these metals. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good metal detector that meets these requirements for under $500.00.

Thanks in advance!

I think the Ace 300
with digital # display would work great
give me a call
Great prices
dennis

http://www.metaldetectors.com/coin-jewelry-metal-detectors/garrett/ace-300-metal-detector

Shoot me a private message we would love to help your department out :cool:

Thanks for contacting me, I think the AT Pro will serve you best given that you can also search in the water for items and also if you are working a scene in the rain.

You have a Private Message...:cool:

Good advice. At Pro can be used in and around water / rain without worry. Mine has been used many times for evidence recovery including rivers and lakes.

Saw a local newscast yesterday and an officer was looking for evidence with what appeared to be an Ace 150. The cable hung loose without being wrapped around the shaft. The officer was searching over asphalt! She was obviously looking for bullet casings which should have been visible. I wanted to lend her a hand. It was embarrassing.

My club is going to certify members to assist with cold cases. Heard the Central Florida club was asked to search for a plane in a dark water pond. Seems THEY FOUND TWO! Somebody apparently didn't file a flight plan

Garrett CSI Pro is waterproof to 10 feet deep but it's more than $500. Probably not a lot more if you can get a good deal on one. It's basically an AT Pro/Gold with the 5x8 coil. Those are well respected machines.

Attachments

• 01_csi_pro_gallery.jpg
    01_csi_pro_gallery.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 747
Investigating a fresh crime site would likely be detecting very shallow targets or surface finds.

Something like an ACE 250 would be plenty machine for this.

They are also easy to learn and don't need ground balancing.

It's power-up and go!!

Thanks in advance!

You might want to check and see if there is a nearby metal detecting club. They would be able to tell you what models work best in your local ground. They would even let you try some of their equipment, to give you a feel. Heck, they might even have in place an experienced Evidence Recovery Team.

When I lived in San Jose, our metal detecting club had an experienced ERT. We mustered out quite frequently on behalf of local police departments, a couple of county sheriff departments and even on behalf of the FBI field office in San Francisco.
FBI.jpg

Here are some links to the accomplishments of our San Jose ERT team.
http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/EvidenceRecoveryTeam.html

Rarely do we get to see the resulting outcome due to the evidence we find, here is a fllow up to the previous story:
http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/feb2nd2002update.html

PS: Tom Tanner is a member of this forum.

Many police and game wardens that Ive seen just use something like an old school fisher 1212 or Tesoro , simply because they are reliable , affordable , well made , and they usually aren't concerned about depth or target separation much. I think at times when investigating out in the weather a waterproof or water resistant unit might be a good option , but for what law enforcement usually does with them any garrett ace , Tesoro compadre , or fisher f2 would suit nicely. Its typically the larger and higher funded forces that buy the higher end models out of relative ignorance or deep pockets , or both. An AT pro would work great but most of its abilities and functions will go wasted looking for recent weapon tosses or shell casings unless they are in the water.

Well, I haven't run or been around all the models mentioned here.

But a few comments..

Probably a good idea the detector is weatherproof or waterproof.

Also,,as far as crime scenes go,,,they are all not about just bullets and shell casings.

Smaller, medium and larger jewelry discovered at a crime scene,,,could be very significant in solving cases.

And other items as well.

Granted police depts do have budgets,,, and I would also maybe mention,,,it is not unusual to be able to rent a detector as needed-- do need a person who knows how to run though.
This for smaller towns might not work,,but larger cities it might.

And a police department could also buy a used detector-- ethics allowing.

Local police departments would do themselves justice by advertising in their local newspapers for outside help from the community on this matter also,,,granted I can see,,where allowing a civilian to enter a crime scene could be troublesome as far as chain of evidence goes and the crime scene's being challenged later in courts as not being sterile by allowing a civilian to enter and run a detector aiding law enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom