Indian Artifact?

5 mile

Forum Supporter
Dug this up quite some time ago very near an old battle site and old bottle dump.

The inside is all glazed. Appears to be clay and it is non metallic.

Ive always wondered what it was or used for, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0290[1].jpg
    IMAG0290[1].jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0289[1].jpg
    IMAG0289[1].jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMAG0292[1].jpg
    IMAG0292[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMAG0291[1].jpg
    IMAG0291[1].jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMAG0293[1].jpg
    IMAG0293[1].jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0294[1].jpg
    IMAG0294[1].jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 330
Is the object clay or metal?

Also, is the "glazed" material glass or metal? I'm just curious what its uses could have been for.

Is the object clay or metal?

Also, is the "glazed" material glass or metal? I'm just curious what its uses could have been for.

There is no metal in it..it is all clay or pottery.(I'll point that out in post).
The inside glaze is non porous, non metallic not sure what technique would've been used for glazing.

What's interesting to me is how small it is and that hole in the top. I'm very curious about this. I hope someone can help you out. I'm actually useless. Just curious.

That's a pretty interesting little thing, I have no idea what it is. However I don't think it's Native American made, it looks to be stoneware AND glazed. Native pottery is earthenware (terra cotta) and usually not glazed. This also looks to be thrown on a wheel (the tell tale swirl inside), this area of the world didn't develop the potter's wheel as other cultures did (the Greeks, Japan, Korea, Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc etc).

So my guess is it's a country/folk potter made whatsit. Traveling shot glass? Who knows.

That's a pretty interesting little thing, I have no idea what it is. However I don't think it's Native American made, it looks to be stoneware AND glazed. Native pottery is earthenware (terra cotta) and usually not glazed. This also looks to be thrown on a wheel (the tell tale swirl inside), this area of the world didn't develop the potter's wheel as other cultures did (the Greeks, Japan, Korea, Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc etc).

+1 Most likely not Native American made.

Great find, no clue what it was for though.

Very probably part of a set.

My guess would be Mexican pottery or similar. A taller jar or jug, holding water, wine, alcoholic something, with a series of hooks (probably about six) and those little cups dangling on the hooks.

The hooks could be on a stand, with a matching decanter but yeah, it's part of a decanter set.

SageGrouse

Very probably part of a set.

My guess would be Mexican pottery or similar. A taller jar or jug, holding water, wine, alcoholic something, with a series of hooks (probably about six) and those little cups dangling on the hooks.

The hooks could be on a stand, with a matching decanter but yeah, it's part of a decanter set.

SageGrouse

Got one in the kitchen here with about 8- 10 little clay pots on a string, hangs vertically. Not sure what it's intended use is (decorative?), but mine has dried chilis in the pots - and the pots are about the same size as the op's.

Reminds me of an old cream cup, for adding cream to something like tea.

it's a native american shot glass for "fire whisky" lol jk - sorry no idea, but yeah the glaze will definitely mean not native american

Back
Top Bottom