some new old info...

gunwolf

Elite Member
I am not sure about all over the country, but I know for a fact it happened here!
a month ago I was at a wedding sitting with my wifes uncle who is a long time detectorist. he told me a story about where and what they would detect.
He told me at some larger company/family picnics at the local parks... they would bring in a pile of sawdust and make like a 20x 20 square a few inches deep. they would hide silver dimes, quarters, and even halves! then they would let the kids have at it like a frenzy crawling around looking through the sawdust for silver!
well my memories came flooding back.. I did this as a kid in the late 60's early 70's... he said they would go to the parks in the late 70's even into the 80's and still find these spots loaded with missed coins. well I went to one park I remember this happening at... spent yesterday morning gridding off all around a few of the older original pavilions. I found a few Rosies and a few mercs all within a 10 ft area... (I'll be posting about that hunt soon) . I think I am going to spend my last 30 days here in NY hitting that park and a few more I know of and just keep searching through the very trashy ground around these old pavilions. good luck and HH

I found a place like that once in a park...Just loaded with coins in a small area..they were all modern clad. From the looks of it, their depth and discoloration etc. this particular area did that thing for several years in a row. I remember getting 800 coins in 2 days...theres still more there, I went back this year just to check and yep...probably 50 more in that spot...

If a guy ever stumbled upon a location like that from the early 60's that no one ever found, yes..it would pretty much be amazing! GL and report back!
Mud

In the 60's, coins still had spending value, kid with a quarter, was 'rich', in that he could by himself a soda and a snack for himself and a friend. Lot of penny items could still be purchased. I remember digging through the saw dust a few times, mostly pennies, nickles, and dimes. Think it was more to get the kids to burn off some of the sugar, before the ride home. That probable died out in the mid 70's, when dime was enough for a postage stamp or payphone. I see pennies on the ground all the time, while out walking my dog, sometimes haven't moved for weeks. I use to pick them up, but lost interest when I started detecting, dig up plenty, never spend them. Probably fill up a Salvation Army kettle with them some Christmas.

We must have been too poor for that game , but we did have a set of Jarts , now that's a game of skill . Knife was another game , but not for the little kids . You stood legs apart and each took turns throwing th knife near the others foot . Each throw was to get a little closer until someone quit . We wore sneakers so it was safe , well most of the time . If you were lucky enough to find a hornets , there was the rock contest to see who could knock it out of the tree . That's a fun one cause you never know which way to run . Fun At The Park !!!
HH

Back
Top Bottom