• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Fisher F2 depth/signal question

IMShooter

Elite Member
I'm having an issue with depth/targets. Target shows 68 on my F2,(which has been penny so far everytime) and when i use the pinpointer on the F2 it shows the depth to be 12"...this is on full sensitivity.
I notch the sensitivity down to 3 bars and it still shows 68 12"....the ground is semi-hard and dry/dusty on top (backyard is horridly dusty right now).
I dig the 12" hole and find nothing, but the signal over the hole still shows 68 12". I dig another 2" or so and still find nothing. My hand pinpointer that came with the F2 hits nothing also.

This has also happened with a solid 72 signal, which has always been dimes. Except with the 72, it will go from 72 to 00 (which is what the silver quarter I found kept doing 82/00 repeatedly) and still nothing.

This house is old and nobody has ever been here to hunt it. I guess I just want to know if my F2 is really seeing it at 12" or deeper or is something else going on?

As for other settings, right now I'm only running nickel/dime/quarter (just so I can practice and clean what I thought would be shallow targets.) I tried running with just Iron disc'd out and i ended up finding an old steel pail about 20" deep. Son and I were whipped after digging that out and filling that "divot".
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My guess is that you're picking up a large metal item that's deeper than you're digging; try raising the coil up and see if you can still get a signal with the coil a foot or more away, if you do, it's something large.

I've had the same issue with my F2. Seems no matter how deep you dig, the signals still there. Im assuming that its something like a metal pipe thats pretty far down.

I get one thats a strong dime to quarter signal, then start digging and the signal just disapears. But thats in a high junk area too, so it could be lots of bottel caps stacked or somthing.

A large deep signal will fool most any detector. I have dug a dollar signal to over 18" only to find a crushed beer can. I now use the lift the coil trick too. Sometimes tho when I don't dig it comes to mind "what if it is a big round mason jar cap with the jar full of money" To dig or not to dig is the question. I think it depends on the location. If I felt I was in an area where there might be a cache I might dig.

blacktoe

Back
Top Bottom