1800's Fire Ward Badge

xlt nh

This was my first 'eye-popping' find, :shock: dug about 3 years ago. It's a mid-1800's Fire Ward Badge from Fitzwilliam, NH. It was dug at about 7" deep in the middle of a hay field. One of the town elders told me that he believed that the field was once used for training purposes...either way it's one of my proudest finds to date! Thanks for looking! Hank :grin:

Attachments

• Fire Ward Badge.jpg
    Fire Ward Badge.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 905
Very nice Hank!  :wow:  I have lots of fields around me that have been in service since 1900 but they are so large :)  It looks to daunting to undertake

Sharpen a couple of 1" dowels cut to 24" long and paint the tops a bright color (I use orange). Sink one in at your start point and at your stopping point. Move them over each time back to mark your grid....do it in sections and it's not so bad. I eyeball a tree or certain rock as my stopping/starting point.

You're able to cover the territory thoroughly and when you want to stop you can leave the markers if the field isn't used for anything. HH, Hank :grin:

Nice  badge Hank.  Are  you near  Fitzwilliam?  I lived in Rindge  for 25  years  before moving  to Florida.  I am in  Hancock, NH right  now  and have not really  had a chance  to detect  because of  all the rain.  I head back  to  the warmth of  home  in a  couple days. We could have  met up  and  did some detecting.  Tomorrow looks like  a  bust weatherwise too.  I have  a  badge simalar  to yours but  from New Milford  Ct.   H.H.  Gil

Gil, I am in Fitzwilliam and found the badge in a field across the street from my house. If you ever come around again drop me a line and maybe we can hit a field for a few coppers! :grin: You should post a pic of your badge from Conn...I'd love to see it!

Good luck to you all in the quest for treasure! Hank :grin:

Not yet...the last time to the library and Town Hall was to get old maps...I wanted to see where the first houses stood in town and where old cellar holes might be. But I plan to get more info on the Fire Ward of that time period. Thanks, Hank :grin:

Back
Top Bottom