Explain this to me...

unojc

I'm new at detecting and have hunted my local parks probably 5 or 6 times in the past month. Almost every single time some car pulls in (it's a huge park) and slowly drives around. Some stop in a non spot for a few then leave. Some pull into the lot area I'm in and do a u turn and leave with no reason to pull that far into the park for nothing.

Are they bored? Checking me out? Curious? Think I'm damaging the place?

Today I'm in the far end of a park and a car pulls in, slowly drives down the road, stops, continues on slowly to the lot I'm in and again slowly does a u turn before leaving. Mind you I just got out of my car and had the suv hatch open. Hadn't even got my stuff out.

Had a woman pull into my lot near the end of my hunt and stayed there in a non spot for like 15min. I had to go and when I left I purposely drove right next to her. Some lady looking down to her lap doing who knows what.

The other day someone pulled into a different park when I had my 3yo with me while I was detecting. Did a u turn and left. Prolly saw the letche hanging from my belt lol. Another person pulled in to eat. Now that I understand.

Can anyone shed some light onto these folks for me? It's like, "hey here's a massive park with a car in it. Let me slowly drive in to look at them and leave!!"

??????

Parks are hotspots for all types of nefarious activity. Read some police blotters. Drug deals, sexual rendezvous, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thing is this park is in an extremely nice area. So friggin weird

I'm new at detecting and have hunted my local parks probably 5 or 6 times in the past month. Almost every single time some car pulls in (it's a huge park) and slowly drives around. Some stop in a non spot for a few then leave. Some pull into the lot area I'm in and do a u turn and leave with no reason to pull that far into the park for nothing.

Are they bored? Checking me out? Curious? Think I'm damaging the place?

Today I'm in the far end of a park and a car pulls in, slowly drives down the road, stops, continues on slowly to the lot I'm in and again slowly does a u turn before leaving. Mind you I just got out of my car and had the suv hatch open. Hadn't even got my stuff out.

Had a woman pull into my lot near the end of my hunt and stayed there in a non spot for like 15min. I had to go and when I left I purposely drove right next to her. Some lady looking down to her lap doing who knows what.

The other day someone pulled into a different park when I had my 3yo with me while I was detecting. Did a u turn and left. Prolly saw the letche hanging from my belt lol. Another person pulled in to eat. Now that I understand.

Can anyone shed some light onto these folks for me? It's like, "hey here's a massive park with a car in it. Let me slowly drive in to look at them and leave!!"

??????

You are smart to be wary. That is one reason I would not detect in a park with headphones on. I want to be able to hear.

As for cars pulling in, driving slow, parking for 5 minutes and so on ... I think is what happens at parks. When they see someone swinging the long stick with a disc on the end makes them look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Think all MDers go thru that "Somebody is watching me" phase...It will pass over time....Try talking to some folks...Mostly all folks dont care that you are MDing....In the BIG Park i go to folks now ask me if theres something wrong if they DONT see me with my detector...

You won't even notice them eventually.... just people out doing their thing, like you are.

Smile & wave, smile & wave....

Over the years I've dealt with some of the same types you mention. These days you just never know what kind of creeps are wandering around. Mostly it's just curiosity on their part but you never know. Be careful.

Maybe I'm less suspicious of this because I live in Japan where it's pretty incredibly safe, but here's an alternate theory:

Maybe they're playing Pokemon Go?

The "pokestop" and gym locations are usually in and around parks and you have to being going fairly slow to play (ie- you can't zoom around and hit pokestops in rapid succession).

The intent is for players to get out and walk around and engage with their environment, but of course people are creatively lazy, which results in driving players making slow creepy loops around parks.

The person staring into her lap for 15 minutes sounds exactly like someone fighting a gym (depending on how well defended gyms are they can take a long time to defeat and claim for your team).

I play with my husband and a couple of my friends and we have been guilty of this on several occasions.

It may just a case of two potentially suspicious hobbies colliding, ne? Hehe.

Hey you drove slow by the lady , sounds like you were curious ? The only ones to pay attention to are the ones who approach you . I see a guy walking a dog ,I give them a look . I see another MDer I'm gonna look , maybe even say HI
G L. ,,,,,HH

Maybe I'm less suspicious of this because I live in Japan where it's pretty incredibly safe, but here's an alternate theory:

Maybe they're playing Pokemon Go?

The "pokestop" and gym locations are usually in and around parks and you have to being going fairly slow to play (ie- you can't zoom around and hit pokestops in rapid succession).

The intent is for players to get out and walk around and engage with their environment, but of course people are creatively lazy, which results in driving players making slow creepy loops around parks.

The person staring into her lap for 15 minutes sounds exactly like someone fighting a gym (depending on how well defended gyms are they can take a long time to defeat and claim for your team).

I play with my husband and a couple of my friends and we have been guilty of this on several occasions.

It may just a case of two potentially suspicious hobbies colliding, ne? Hehe.

The first time I saw PokeMon strollers I was sure they were stalking me and taking my pic. My hunt buddy explained what was going on and I hardly ever worry about strange moves by the public now, UNLESS there's "christmas lights" on top of their car. Even those don't faze me much these days.

Lots of odd movements in parks. Cheaters, druggers, and general nonsense. But hey...I stay vigilant. Just because you might be paranoid doesn't mean they ain't watching you.

The Pokémon makes total sense! I need to download it just to see if that park is one that way I can cheer them on!

The Pokémon makes total sense! I need to download it just to see if that park is one that way I can cheer them on!

Indeed! It would be cool to go from mutually suspicious to mutually encouraging!

Then again, if you download it and find that the area is devoid of Poke-locations... you may just have some real weirdos on your hands.

:laughing::
Parks are hotspots for all types of nefarious activity. Read some police blotters. Drug deals, sexual rendezvous, etc.

so, you're saying that parks are where the fun happens? Seriously, though, when I've got 30 minutes to kill, I'll park at a park, and grab a short nap in the shade occasionally, or eat a Sammi he. It's the one place I can count on finding a parking spot, and nobody cares that I park there. :laughing::laughing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can tell when somebody is up to no good...Parks are very common meeting places for all sorts of Human Naughtyness...We find the evidence...

In fact, the Park Hotspots seem to move around with the general flow of the herds throughout the year...Just like hunting on the Botswana Plains!...the herds migrate and favor certain areas at certain times and seasons...

If you find a park where a lot of general Naughtyness goes one..drinking, dope selling, family planning (settual relations), fighting, bullet casings,....yeah...you want to be hunting that one! All sorts of good stuff gets lost in these places!...you want to be there really early though...and not dilly dally or shilly shally...get in, get out...you certainly dont belong there at all...just sweep though and get the hell gone!:laughing:

It was a long time ago at the public beach here where I live. I had two guys said that they wanted what I had (all my trash and bottle caps) and proceeded to come towards me and my son. Gave my keys and metal detector to my kid, told get into the suv and stay there. Well I told both of them that one was going to be hurt very bad. (They were acting like to do harm to me and my kid.)
They started to head towards me and that is when I put my scoop on my shoulder, I started walking towards them and asked who wants to be first with my scoop. They decided to leave and that's end of that and it was around midnight. It was a stupid thing to do but I had no choice (I new that would attack me if I turned around and tried to leave) because no one else around except for my kid.

Where ever you go always be on the look out for (being nice) dirt bags. If you think there going to be a problem, leave it's not worth fighting for. If you can always go with someone. One other thing have a cell phone ready to call 911, even if you don't say anything help should come to you. Oh yeah everything is recorded on the call too.

I hope this helps you. Stay safe.

You can tell when somebody is up to no good...Parks are very common meeting places for all sorts of Human Naughtyness...We find the evidence...

In fact, the Park Hotspots seem to move around with the general flow of the herds throughout the year...Just like hunting on the Botswana Plains!...the herds migrate and favor certain areas at certain times and seasons...

If you find a park where a lot of general Naughtyness goes one..drinking, dope selling, family planning (settual relations), fighting, bullet casings,....yeah...you want to be hunting that one! All sorts of good stuff gets lost in these places!...you want to be there really early though...and not dilly dally or shilly shally...get in, get out...you certainly dont belong there at all...just sweep though and get the hell gone!:laughing:

:lol: You detect there and just get needles and bullet shells.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom